musafia cases good or bad?

August 22, 2004 at 04:12 AM · Hi,

So I'm getting a new violin soon, its costing me quite a bit of money so I want to protect it. I looked up some good cases, I came across musafia case they're quite expensive, I was just wondering if any of you have any of these cases and how they're working out. I dont want to spend that kind of money on a case if its not worth it. I read they offer four point suspension so the varnish wont rub off on newly varnish violins. Are they worth the money??

Replies (85)

August 22, 2004 at 04:59 AM · I know someone who has one and he's really happy with it but my local luthier says it's a waste of money buying them when something much cheaper can do the same. You might want to check out the American Case Company (Shar seems to really like them). They're about half the price of Musafias but they also have a lifetime warranty and some of their models have some pretty nice features. I don't own one so I don't know what they're like but they do look nice.

August 22, 2004 at 09:50 AM · I own what was the Top of the Line Musafia at one time - the Master Series Exclusive.

Great case, worth the dough. But a need? Hardly. A Weber case (or American from Shar) for nearly half the amount does as good as a job.

August 22, 2004 at 05:06 PM · I have a Musafia Ultra-Alegro ultra-lightweight case. (the light weight one was a requirement for me) I'm extremely pleased with it, and I don't feel I overpaid for it at all.

August 23, 2004 at 01:53 AM · Weber's better.

There seems to be an Italian mystique associated with everything in the violin world outside of the actual compositions. (Being an Italian, this in no way is Italian discrimination). Sure, there have been good products (cases, violins, and whatnot) that have been made in Italy and made to the same quality.

But there is also a lot of junk out there, being marketed at obscene prices based on no fact other than it comes from Italy. Just a few days ago, I was looking into purchasing an Italian violin, and took several out on trial by various Cremonese makers, and the sound was brassy and tinny.

The nice thing about many American/Canadian/other non Italian products being manufactured now is that they can get the same effect for $$$ less because there is no mystique associated with their respective countries.

The wost thing about the whole Italian ordeal is that much to most of the work made in Italy is not made by Italians at all.

August 23, 2004 at 03:59 AM · This had been mentioned in a previous string about cases, but I think that if you're going to buy a Musafia, it's a good bet to buy one of their factory second or discounted cases. I've recently purchased one of these and have been very pleased with it. Plus, they come fully warranted, just like a new one would.

the URL to see their selection of discounted cases is: http://www.musafia.com/pre_owned.html

August 24, 2004 at 03:06 PM · There great cases..I own one.

August 26, 2004 at 12:16 AM · Alex, I don't doubt it, I used to own one, until a friend of mine offered to pay me back the amount I was charged, then I went looking around for other cases. Weber is just as good, if not better....these obscene prices in the violin world have got to stop.

August 27, 2004 at 12:38 AM · Does anyone have any recommendations for the best place to get cases? And out of curiosity, are there any other places besides Shar that sell the American Case Company line?

August 27, 2004 at 12:53 AM · finecases.com

September 26, 2004 at 11:48 PM · I owned a Jaeger for 37 years and loved it, but it was too heavy and way too expensive.I researched cases for over 2 months comparing everything I could on the Web. Unfortunately, I couldn't compare in person. I liked the Musafia but really preferred the Negri (which seemed not quite as "garish". I tried to get one to compare it to a Musafia which I had ordered on a trial basis. Unfortunately, after waiting (2 more months!)I cancelled the Negri order. The case I got from Musafia was found on their their web site. It was a "proto type" for being a very light version of the Executive series. Since it was a prototype, I got it at a discount. The lightness and the color I wanted made the decision for me. I don't think any case is worth the money that is being charged now, but I did get everything I wanted. The Gorge case (made in England) is suppose to have the best quality workmanship (but it wasn't aesthetically pleasing to me).

September 27, 2004 at 01:42 AM · Hello,

I own 2 Musafia violin cases an Enigma and a Master Series Aureum. I've tried other brands and my son has a Weber slimline violin case. I prefer the workmanship and quality of the Musafias. I find them much more durable, quality materials and better crafted.

Regards,

Peter

September 27, 2004 at 03:29 AM · catherine, are you the one that bought my case? :-(, I was going to buy a discounted case from musafia but someone beat me to it. The case I was going to buy had a black cover and was a beige color inside, really beautiful. Anyways, I'm waiting to see if they post any new cases, thats what Im going to get in the end.

September 27, 2004 at 03:02 PM · I just purchased a Musafia case about 2 weeks ago for the first time. I actually pulled the cover off to see the quality of the case. It's very well done and I tested it out to see how durable it was. Let's just say that I don't think it'll break anytime soon!

The pictures on the website definitely do not do these cases justice. They are a lot better looking in person. The case I purchased was a U3010. Not top of the line, but still one of their professional cases. I'll own this one for years and will definitely make use of their repair shop. This case is fantastic!

September 27, 2004 at 03:04 PM · Forgot to mention, here's the website for the discounted cases.

http://www.musafia.com/discounted.html

I purchased mine from the Baroque violin shop. If you tell them that you're a teacher (which I am), they will sell you the case at cost. Even on the discounted website, the U3010 is over $500. I purchased mine from the Baroque Violin Shop for $381 (including tax).

October 28, 2004 at 06:53 PM · I just got a lightweight luxury model musafia case and I'm happy with it except for one thing...I have to jam my shoulder rest into the compartment. Has anyone else had this problem? It took me a while to finally figure out how to position it to fit. But I don't think a bigger shoulder rest like a Wolf could have any chance of fitting in there. Also, how are you supposed to use the humidifier? Do you just stick the whole tube in water or something?

October 28, 2004 at 07:14 PM · I also have trouble getting my shoulder rest into my case. I have a Howard Core 525 and a Wolf Secundo shoulder rest. It doesn't quite fit, but I force it. I wish they'd include dimensions of the interior compartments in catalogs.

October 28, 2004 at 07:22 PM · I have the same problem of fitting my shoulder rest into the compartment of my Musafia. I used to play with a Kun, and the shoulder rest would fit quite nicely if the prongs (is that the right word?) were tweaked a bit, but after I switched to Bon Musica, it was quite literally impossible to jam it in. So I carry my shoulder rest loosely around in a bag that I use to hold my music.

October 28, 2004 at 07:46 PM · I haven't had any problems with my shoulder rest (wolf) fitting.

October 28, 2004 at 07:51 PM · From what I've heard, the newer cases have a larger compartment and the shoulder rests fit better. In addition, their Luxury Classic cases are supposed to fit all shoulder rests.

I've got a BonMusica as well and it doesn't fit into the Musafia case I have. I contacted Musafia and asked them about it and they told me that their newer cases, especially the Classic Model, fits all shoulder rests just fine.

So, my boyfriend is going to take my Musafia case and I've got a Luxury Classic case on order. As soon as I get it, I'll let everyone know if my Bonmusica fits or not. They said it should, so I'm not expecting any problems.

October 28, 2004 at 11:49 PM · The tube, you drop it in a container with water and leave it there for a few minutes to soack. Then it will be ready to use.

PF

November 13, 2004 at 02:22 PM · I am not sure that the current Musafia Cases are worth the money. From what I have been told by a dealer friend, they are no longer manifactured in Italy and the quality has gone down considerably...

If you want to spend that kind of money, then the best case available is probably a Gordge. They are great (not light) but extremely strong and durable, and copies of the old Hill cases. Most people that I know with priceless instruments use this case.

Weber cases are good, American Case Company cases tend to have construction and durability problems. A good choice if you want a light case is BAM. Good luck finding a case you like!

November 15, 2004 at 01:40 PM · I think Musafia cases are worth the money. I own one of their cases already and am having a 2nd one made for me. It's currently in the works. These cases are still made in Italy - I've spoken with Dmitri Musafia himself and he is in Italy and my case is being made there.

These cases are absolutely fantastic! They are very solid, stable and protective while still being very beautiful. If you want a Musafia case without paying a huge sum of money, check out their discounted cases site: www.musafia.com/discounted

Also, if you are a teacher, you can purchase a case at cost from the Baroque Violin Shop in Cincinnati, OH. www.baroqueviolinshop.com. I believe this is their website. If not, just do a Google Search for it, it should be one of the first sites to be listed.

November 17, 2004 at 04:27 PM · I will be getting a musafia soon-it came with my violin. can't wait!

August 14, 2010 at 01:51 PM ·

It is possible to get Musafia cases on discount directly from the company, still made in Europe etc. but some have just been used a demo's and never used before, but are 40 percent cheaper because of it.

August 14, 2010 at 08:24 PM ·

I bought a double violin case recently.  I would have loved a Musafia, basically because I like the material they used inside, and they seemed to make a little better use of the small amount of space left inside the case (the little boxes), you can also get a leather exterior if you wish..I guess they'll do anything you want, but it was totally unaffordable for me, so I searched the internet and came up with a Bobelock suspension double violin case which is essentially looking the same as the Musafia, maybe less elegant, like, no quiltwork at the bottom, but essentially seems like a fine case.  You can also get a back strap if you wish to carry the violin on your back (which is what I do).  I'm not familiar with the other cases mentioned above, but they all seem a bit similar to me when it comes to the double case. I'm happy with it. fisherviolins.com offers free shipping and their prices seemed to be better than most others.

August 17, 2010 at 03:36 PM ·

I own a Musafia  case but I am not sure I would recommend it. In my opinion it has some  desing  problems and some other things broke just a few months after buying it. I prefer my other American case that I had for more than 20 years, which of course is cheaper.

August 17, 2010 at 04:59 PM ·

Hello,                                                                                                                                                                    I like my old case from American Case Co. from Shar , with the "lifetime guarantee"  Except when I contacted them when the zipper gave out ,they gave me a major runaround and were really rude about it.  I told them it had a "lifetime guarantee " and I was still alive.  I ended up paying for the repair myself locally.

August 17, 2010 at 10:42 PM ·

I just got a custom-configured Master Series case from them, that was personally handmade by Dmitri Musafia... it's amazing! Definitely the best case I have ever owned! The zippers are still stretching out, though.

July 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM ·

November 11, 2011 at 11:12 PM · I recently got a Luxury Classic Musafia, made in Cremona and with the little case history hand-written by Mr. Musafia included, and I love it! It was, as mentioned, a lot of money, even though I went the discounted route; but it seems to be perfect and a *lot* better made than any other make of case I have seen personally in years of teaching violin and playing in orchestras and chamber groups, in terms of combining quality, durability, and class.

November 11, 2011 at 11:17 PM · Although I don't own a Musafia case I have heard many great things about them and I believe the price is worthwhile to protect such a valuable investment such as your violin. You also may find it a good idea to look at some of the cases by BAM and Bobelock.

Dominick

November 12, 2011 at 01:27 AM · Musafia is an awesome product... Take care when you wire $$$ or €€€ to Italy~. A bank on their end pulled an unexpected $30 out so my payment was short! Mr. Musafia sent the case anyway and it is far superior to any other I have owned - 100% authentic real silk, real Kidd leather, high quality zippers..... No compromises..... I expect it to outlast me.

November 12, 2011 at 02:15 AM · I like the cases very much (I have one on each end of their product line). The only potential downside-- and it's really just a trade-off-- is the latch. It's possible for the latch to scratch the violin if you leave it way up and aren't careful. Also, unlike the snap-shut kind from a lot of American makers, it sometimes won't close without a little attention. If you are very careless, you might therefore walk away with an open case since there is no telltale "click" when everything is in order.

All of this can be dealt with. Get the over-blanket attached to the edge of the case with Velcro (they'll do that on an order), and the buckle will stay out of the way when you put the instrument back. And the latch is very sturdy and much less likely to break, IMO, than some of the complicated ones with lots of small parts that close with a spring-loaded "ping." So just look twice when closing it and be glad.

Other than that, there's next to nothing not to love.

November 12, 2011 at 04:13 AM · It's just a little bulky and heavy, but it's all worth it for the good of your instrument. I got the "Absolute Shoulder Strap" from the Tom Bihn briefcase company and it helps a lot.

When I send this case in to be overhauled in a few (or several.. or more) years or so, I may ask for the position of the backpack strap attachment to be moved (I like the case to be lower on my back) and I'm definitely getting tropicalization and waterproofing added.

And I might get those velcro straps added as well...

I really love this case though; my only real complaint with it is the weight.

November 12, 2011 at 10:08 AM · My dart-shaped case is lighter than the previous one I had. I love it! Regarding the latch, are you not zipping? You have a latch, a zipper, and then some snaps. I don't see the risk...

November 12, 2011 at 01:29 PM · Once it closes, it's really closed. And the zipper doesn't hurt. But if you try to snap the case shut without looking, the buckle doesn't always land exactly where it should. And then if you're in a hurry and don't bother with a zipper...

November 13, 2011 at 08:03 AM · I don't have one but I know people who do and they're really nice cases. It's like the Rolls-Royce of violin cases.

November 13, 2011 at 08:31 PM · Oooh, always zip. That's like being too hurried to zip your fly. A student of mine lost his fiddle to a soundpost crack that way.

November 14, 2011 at 06:09 AM · I've owned a couple Musafia cases...started with a Luxury Model that was bought off of me by a friend, enjoyed the first generation Enigma for awhile before selling it for a profit on Ebay, had a Luxury Model Dart with a custom crushed velvet interior that I gave as a gift to my friend (and stellar violinist) Eric Chin...and now I'm patiently waiting for my Master Series case to return from Italy, where Musafia has just finished refurbishing the entire case for not very much money. :)

Musafia cases are awesome...leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. I can understand not wanting to spend $1000+ on a case if your violin and bows aren't that valuable, but for safety and elegance, they have no match.

November 15, 2011 at 05:05 PM · My teacher has one, and she has told me that she would never recommend one of these cases for ANYONE. Hers was poorly made, and has had to be fixed multiple times in several spots (particularly the strap that keeps the two halves of the case at a 90 degree angle). She does't regret buying hers, because she got it for a steal (something like 200$) but it was only because she was also buying an expensive violin. If I were you, I'd spend my money on something else (i.e. a Bam or a Bobelock). Good luck!

November 15, 2011 at 06:06 PM · Was that an Italian-made one, or one of the less expensive Asian models (about which there's been some negative chatter)?

November 15, 2011 at 06:37 PM · To Sydney Howard: with all due respect, if your teacher paid $200 for the case, it's not one made by myself and my staff in Cremona, and it doesn't say "Musafia Cremona Italy" on it.

November 15, 2011 at 07:29 PM ·

November 15, 2011 at 07:45 PM · I know Raphael Carrabba over in Seattle threw in a Musafia case when I was trying an instrument from his shop in 2006. It almost worked, too, because I had such a hard time giving that case back when I decided on a different instrument! Very clever tactic...

Having said that, Carrabba is an authorised dealer. If she didn't get it from an authorised dealer, Sydney, I would highly suspect fraud.

November 15, 2011 at 09:29 PM · well, a genuine case can pass through many hands before landing on yours for a good price. there is really a physical phenom called wear and tear:) dimitri needs to learn some quantum jump to keep a good monitor on how his cases in existence take use and abuse.

we can also complain about mercedes or lexus for having worn out tires after years of use...what gall!

November 15, 2011 at 09:46 PM · I still have a Musafia violin case that I bought about 15 years ago, discounted for ~$250. I think it's great. It has held up very well and I think it's much more attractive than the Bobelock case I have for my viola. The Bobelock is nice too, and is a good value for the money, but it kind of resembles a coffin, and the Musafia is more elegant.

November 15, 2011 at 09:48 PM · It does say Musafia Cremona Italy on it. I'm not sure exactly how much she paid for it, but her luthier had one in his shop and gave it to her for a low price when she picked up a $20,000 violin in Cremona several years ago. I'm sure that many people have had great experiences with your cases, I'm just saying that one should be careful when purchasing any case to make sure that it wasn't manufactured poorly (whether by a fluke incident or if the manufacturer is known for poor quality, which Musafia is not).

November 15, 2011 at 10:54 PM ·

November 16, 2011 at 12:10 AM · not if the dealer was otherwise happy to let go the violin at 15k, bill:)

November 16, 2011 at 12:40 AM · yeah, yeah, I know...but still...something is very fishy here.

November 16, 2011 at 03:25 AM · I talked to my teacher about it, and we think we may know what happened. (BTW she said she spent more like $500, and this was several years ago, so sorry about the mixup)The case itself wasn't used looking at all when she bought it. However, I'm betting someone broke the strap that I mentioned earlier, and the dealer had it replaced and tried to sell it. Based on Musafia's reviews, I really don't believe he would've missed something like this when the case was made. On the other hand, Al, it is honestly the worst $20,000 violin I've heard so maybe you're right. ;)

November 16, 2011 at 01:49 PM · Quite honestly, this isn't the first time I see internet-posted complaints about my work, posted by third parties, that don't seem to want to resolve the issue, but only to complain about it.

If the case were so "poorly made" to the point of being "never recommendable to ANYONE", then why wasn't a warranty claim made?

Sydney, if there is an issue with one of my cases, please have your teacher contact our office directly. Our e-mail address is on our website and through my name on this post. I am particularly sensitive to our track record for client satisfaction, and this is an opportunity to prove it one more time.

I'll post the outcome on this website.

November 16, 2011 at 02:40 PM · We have a beautiful reconditioned Musafia case that we bought last January through the discount site (it was shipped from Italy to my daughter's school in New York.) But she has only used it for one week because the backpack straps are in an uncomfortable spot. Since then it has been sitting in a closet in my office. We did take it to a local violin dealer to ask their opinion, but they felt that moving the backpack strap attachments might damage the case... So if any tall people out there would like to buy a beautiful case from us, it's sitting here...

November 16, 2011 at 05:10 PM · I have seen people complaining about the location of the backpack strap attachment (myself included), which is why I use a single shoulder strap with it. One of my friends uses the backpack straps that came with his Musafia, but puts the case on his back upside-down because he finds that to be more comfortable.

November 16, 2011 at 08:28 PM · I assumed the "upside down position" was the correct one, since it's all relative. Works great that way.

One thing I've observed: there is a huge difference between purchasing a mass-produced, assembly line product and purchasing something hand-crafted by someone who cares about his reputation and is willing to back his product and care for individual customers.

November 17, 2011 at 01:53 AM · E Smith,

How much are you asking?

November 17, 2011 at 02:25 AM · Hello Mr. Smith,

I've been drooling over Musafia cases for a long time now waiting for a deal that will fit my teenage lawn mowing budget :)

If you could post a price it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

November 17, 2011 at 04:12 AM · I checked checked our credit card receipt. I paid $924.75 for it, including shipping and handling from Italy. Here is the description of the case from the discounted site:

"o PRE-OWNED Musafia Cremona Italy Aeternum 3611E. 2010. Virtually unused, practically as new. Dark green silk velvet and Royale interior lining, with a slate Cordura nylon cover including full-sized music pouch. Includes four-point suspension system, padded leather handle, subway handle, and two carrying straps with back-pack capability. Also includes hygrometer, humidifier, cherrywood burl interior trim, padded blanket and through-bolted carrying strap attachments. Lifetime Musafia warranty. Made in Cremona, Italy. Weight is 2,9 kg. (6.4 lbs.). Essentially a new case at a used case price.

Replacement cost $ 1,179. Special offer at $ 849. Ref. n. CY2"

Let me know if you are interested by sending me an email.

November 17, 2011 at 04:25 AM ·

Hello to all,

Earlier in this thread, Emily wrote:

"Oooh, always zip. That's like being too hurried to zip your fly. A student of mine lost his fiddle to a soundpost crack that way."

As you may be aware, I am neither a physician nor a luthier by trade, and so I hope that you will understand why I must ask (admittedly, with some trepidation) just how your student's failure to zip his pants caused the soundpost crack.

(I'll add that I was very pleased to learn that you are enjoying that case Emily...)

All the best,

Lothar

November 17, 2011 at 06:17 AM · He thought it was a short trip, so it wouldn't matter, but boy was he mistaken when he hit the gravel parking lot.

November 17, 2011 at 09:27 PM · Musafia- I gave the teacher your contact info, she should e-mail you soon! In any case, Pedro, I would be careful buying any case from a 3rd or 4th party. Go straight to the man himself!

November 24, 2011 at 09:43 PM · By the way, Mr. Musafia read what I wrote about the case not working for us and contacted me through violinist.com. He kindly offered to re-list the case on his site. I received inquiries as soon as the listing was up and sold the case to a collector for the same price I paid for it. (I am out only shipping costs, and so glad that this beautiful case has found a good home.)

December 8, 2011 at 06:34 PM · I just got my Master Series case back from refurbishment by Musafia in Cremona.

I sent it in after pretty much beating the case to all heck in airplanes, trains, buses, practically shredding the cover, and knocking off most of the bumpers and attachments. I was really surprised when I opened the box...my case looks better than the day I bought it! I really like the new bow spinners too, they are tapered at each end so they don't catch the bow hair, and the new cover looks amazing.

It cost me only $200, and I can say it was completely worth it to bring this case back to life. I'm sending my wife's beat-up old Ultralight in for refurbishment next. :)

December 15, 2011 at 01:00 PM · I had promised to report back with an update about that case of mine that was allegedly so "poorly made", never to be recommended for "ANYONE", that had to be "fixed multiple times in several spots".

When I mentioned on this board that I couldn't understand if things were so awful why a warranty claim wasn't made, the poster said I would be contacted by the owner of the case.

Well, the update is that a month has gone by and nobody contacted me.

December 16, 2011 at 12:27 AM · Chances are, they probably bought one of the fakes!

December 20, 2011 at 07:59 PM · It's been way over 5 years I want to buy a Musafia. Finally Christmas for me: I ordered my personal Musafia Master Classic Case to protect my valuable italian violin made 1699. You could ask 'how did it make it through all the years without a Musafia case?'. The answer to this would be "It didn't" and a picture would show major repair. (Of cause I don't know what really happened). Other than spending a lot of money I am sure this case will give me piece of mind, reading all the stories on Mr. Musafia's website. It'll be also a fraction of the value of the violin. I waited my life long for finding this violin, I sure can wait 3 to 4 month for the case. ...then another Christmas for me in spring 2012 :-)

December 20, 2011 at 09:34 PM · i like that, Hardy :)

December 21, 2011 at 02:45 AM · The beginning of this topic from 2004 asks a lot about whether they are worth the money. Well for one, what better cases are there? And you have to consider how much time and effort Mr. Musafia puts into these cases so he needs his share too!

Yes, they're expensive, but they last a long time and that in turn means they buy themselves back with the amount of usage!

I would absolutely LOVE a Musafia case. My friend has one and it's simply the most beautiful violin case I've ever seen. I can't wait until I've saved enough money to get one for my lovely new violin!! :-)

December 21, 2011 at 03:56 AM · I have heard that the original top of the line Jaeger cases are comparable to Musafia cases; unfortunately, I hear that Jaegers are not made the same way as they used to be (the firm was appropriated by Gewa), and I don't know anybody who uses one of their current ones (although Gewa cases have gotten good reviews for the most part).

Musafia cases do certainly seem to be the most innovative in both form and function.. the only thing I'd change about my Master Series is the weight, and perhaps make it a little more waterproof (I got weatherguard but not waterproofing, and in very heavy rain, a little water is still able to seep in at the edge of the case despite the weatherguard).

Aesthetically speaking, I'd prefer a composite or carbon fiber exterior, but that's my personal taste (also, I associate cases that look like that with being lighter in weight).

December 21, 2011 at 07:19 PM · I had a JAEGER case for my violin when I was a child and I still have a JAEGER for my 1698 Viola. It was definitely one of the best cases 40 years ago. If I'm not mistaken the company went out of business. I don't know whether they are building again. Reading all the posts about other case maker I went to their websites and looked at each of them. They may be also very protective and good quality but I don't like the looks. After looking at these I don't regret my decision. I believe the Musafia are also the most elegant cases and compliment the instrument. I don't mind showing off with a Musafia. I like pretty things and I'm proud if I finally can effort what I like. Money saving is not everything. I could've saved also lot's of money by buying a cheap chinese violin starter kit. But I live only once and Violins are my big love. Are Musafia worth the money? Is buying a wonderful painting worth the money? To me the answer is easy. YES :-) The money will be gone either way, the case will stay with me hopefully the rest of my life and every day when I take my violin out of the case and put it back in it's luxurious bed I will have a smile on my face. Is the smile worth the money?

Merry Christmas everybody.

December 21, 2011 at 07:40 PM · I think you always come back to the question: what sort of case do I really need for the violin/viola that I have? If I had a fairly expensive instrument (worth at least five figures) and traveled a great deal, I would probably want a top-of-the-line case, and in that context I would seriously consider a Musafia. However, I do not have such an instrument. From my perspective, a Musafia would be wasted on my instrument; the Bobelock I have does a quite nice job of protecting it. So, rather than drool over the Musafia cases, I think you need to ask yourself whether you really need one. I suspect most of us do not.

December 21, 2011 at 09:49 PM · Sorry Tom, totally with Hardy on this one. I live to drool ;) even for my Slovakian, significantly less than 3K instrument, if I could you know I would.

December 22, 2011 at 12:06 AM · http://www.stradviolin.com/store/store.php/products/jaeger-original

They are indeed making Jaeger-branded cases again, but out of a composite material, not wood... also, they have an extremely limited color selection (either black with red interior, or brown with green interior).

If anything, I wish I could put an ordinary solid-black case cover on my Musafia, to hide the fact that it's a Musafia until I open the case. I don't know if I want this case grabbing everybody's attention... even non-violinists and non-string players at my school have told me how they all think my case is beautiful, which has led to me being slightly neurotic about ever leaving it anywhere that isn't locked up.

(Backstage? At least there's several other Musafias back there where it can try to blend in, although it's the only Master Series.)

December 22, 2011 at 12:56 AM · Oh but Tom... When you cast your eyes upon one of those Enigma series, do you not just wish you had one...?

That gorgeous velvet looks like it should be in a palace with all the royal princes to marvel at. What a wonderful piece of work it is!

December 22, 2011 at 02:00 PM · Eloise - lol. When I want to buy an artwork, I will remember your sage words.

December 22, 2011 at 05:27 PM · Funny if people could only imagine the process: the super-expensive cases are still made in China, shipped to wherever, fancy labels put on, sold to some eager idealistic players...

December 22, 2011 at 08:04 PM · My Musafia cases are possibly as valuable as the fidddles within, but that is not always the case, nor will it always be so.

The case is designed to maximise protection, from both impact and thermal/environmental extremes. I expect it will last as long as I do, and it removes a source of worry for me, which makes up for any cost premium.

Beyond that they are extremely attractive within, which is a plus, though not my reason for getting them.

The company is small, and does its homework, and is constantly looking to improve its product. Sr Musafia stands behind his product, and is accessible. These things make a big difference, even though they are not obvious to the eye. (For that matter, much of what makes these cases superior is not visible to the eye). In the (unlikely) event that I have a problem, it will be addressed, quickly, at the highest level. I like that, very much.

It's possible that there are cases that are nearly as good, I don't know, but the combination of pluses with no real detriment except perhaps price outweighs any negatives, for me at least.

December 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM · Hi, I'd really like to personally thank everyone who had kind words for my work.

For those who don't know, I trained as a violin maker (1 gold medal, 1 special prize) but in 1983 I chose to put the same effort into making artisan-quality cases. Every case of mine that goes out the door is finished personally by myself, and I am constantly trying to make them better. That comes natural when you put your own name on a product.

Sure, there are plenty of cheaper cases being made industrially all over the world. I could have set up a factory myself, if I had wanted to. But I think that making an artisan-made product is more rewarding, like a master-made violin, and is more suited to the way I like to do things. More like art than just business.

For those who say my cases are expensive, all I can say is that they are right. Quality is expensive. However, when my used cases are sometimes sold for more than they cost new, that puts the concept of value in a different perspective.

Cheers and happy holidays!

December 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM · Is this the longest running non-ad advertisement on violinist.com?

December 23, 2011 at 03:19 PM · I just wrote a blog and posted it last night, detailing about how someone's negligence at school caused damage to my violin, but due to the quality of my Musafia case, the damage was minimal and will not cause any lasting strife to either party.

http://www.violinist.com/blog/duncan/201112/12986/

Mr. Musafia's cases are truly the best around.

December 23, 2011 at 04:03 PM · I have no doubt that Musafia cases are the best or close to it. As I said previously, if I had a really valuable instrument, I would certainly consider getting that sort of case. However, for someone on a budget, if you have a choice of where to put the extra $500 or so a Musafia case might cost, you need to decide whether that sort of case is the best way to spend the money. It would be interesting to know the extent to which v.commers have had incidents where their instrument was or would have been seriously damaged in some case other than a top-of-the-line case.

December 23, 2011 at 11:38 PM · Like Tom, I'm a happy Bobelock user. I'm somewhat clumsy, so I have dropped and banged my violin case (with my violin in it, of course) a few times, and there was an incident described here that could have damaged my violin badly, but I believe my Bobelock did its job to protect it, and I paid less than $150 for my case. Would I have bought a Musafia if my violin were worth tens of thousands of dollars? Possibly, but while I do appreciate aesthetics, I am also value-conscious, and if I did have an expensive violin, I probably wouldn't want my case to announce it...

December 24, 2011 at 01:32 AM · Bobelocks are quite good for the price. One of my friends (who probably weighs fifty pounds or so less than me) is able to sit on hers without it even beginning to stress the case (she specifically asked the dealer for a case she could sit on), and hers has lasted for at least a few years.

My Bobelock, on the other hand, broke within a year of use, the hinges degrading and the case not coming to a full close anymore... I decided I needed something even more protective for my personal use.

December 24, 2011 at 01:37 AM · Tom:

I don't care wether if it's Musafia or some other brand, but you won't regret a very very durable case even if you only have $500 to spend at the time.

I purchased a custom Musafia case long ago with the price tag same as my violin and bows added together. You may call my crazy but I know that in the next 20 or even 30 years I don't have to worry about getting a new case when I upgrade my violin or bow. Now that I'm using a violin and bow worth several times more than the price of the case and the case looks just like the new one after these years of abuse. I know this case will be fine if one day some people lend me a million dollar instrument. So why do you want to spend on something you may change in a short time? If you worry about an additional $500 to spend on an instrument, very likely you're buying an instrument that you want to change the second day of your purchase if you have more money. And you lose more money because instrument at this price tag won't hold its value.

December 24, 2011 at 04:45 PM · Recently got a Luxury Ultralight Musafia case. Flawless construction. Sturdy through and through. Room for rosin, cloth, metronome, pencils, mutes, and perhaps a few more small items in the end compartment. Kun bravo shoulder rest fits nicely in strap and violin lays perfectly. Bows fit into holders with very little extra room. Casing aligns perfectly when closing. Would highly recommend if you seek a slightly more compact and lighter case with excellent impact and climate protection (order with tropicalization if possible) with a tasteful, gorgeous interior.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe