Interlochen Arts Academy

August 20, 2004 at 04:41 AM · I am seriously considering attending the Interlochen Arts Academy my junior and senior years of high school. Does anyone have any opinions or ideas on this? Is it worthwhile? I feel like I can't get much more out of my large public high school (I'm going to be a sophomore) and I'd like to have more opportunities by going to an arts school. Any comments or suggestions? (Current and former IAA student opinions especially valued!) I have been to Interlochen Arts Camp before and really like the atmosphere and focus, but was wondering about the academy.

Replies (4)

August 20, 2004 at 09:37 PM · I've been to IAC several times. I've never attended the academy, but have heard that while it has great musical students/opportunities, it is also very academic. So be prepared to work hard! Some of my friends went there, and loved it. I've met symphony musicians, and some of my teachers, who went there, and had a blast. The school is just as intense as the camp (that 'bubble' environment), but they're more relaxed about wearing the uniform. The new president is making many changes (tons of changes to the camp), and I'm not sure yet how it is going to affect the academy.

August 22, 2004 at 12:34 AM · Hey Rachel--what years did you go to IAC? I went last summer, so I still remember lots about it. I've heard a lot about how they stress academics, which is good. I recently met a cellist who went to IAA and ended up at CIM...cool! That would be perfectly fine with me! Thanks for the info!

August 22, 2004 at 12:37 AM · oh yes...I forgot...I've also heard from Hal Grossman and other people that they've dropped the challenge system. Does this have to do with changes the new president is makeing? I personally didn't really like the challenge system, but I could see the reasons for having them.

August 22, 2004 at 04:52 AM · Yup, the challenges were dropped cause of the new pres. This year everyone rotated on a 'random' basis, and next year they're trying something else. Rumours are flying around like crazy; they even started something called the rumour mill in the dining hall. Oh, btw I was there in 00, 02-04. And, I know people sending their kids to the academy, so if I hear of anything new at IAA, I'll let ya know!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe