Arthur Toman

August 18, 2004 at 11:33 AM · I just stopped at Rene Morel's this afternoon for a rehair and was discussing Rene's former apprentice Arthur Toman. However, I was shocked to hear of his death this past year. I've played several Tomans, and was impressed by each--the workmanship in particular was exceptional. Not surpisingly, Mr. Morel counts Mr. Toman among his most brilliant pupils. Are there any other players here familiar with Mr. Toman's work?

Replies (4)

September 20, 2004 at 04:07 PM · Hello Eric and found your note when checking out stuff on Art. He was not only a wonderful maker and restorer, but simply the most wonderful husband, father and friend. I can provide you with many names of people who have purchased instruments by Art, if you want--and a number have won awards. I just miss him so very much. His tools and wood and books will be in the Tarisio auction this October. I have a number of his instruments here, and will be selling most of them. If you are interested in trying any of them out and/or have people to try them out and purchase them, I would provide you with an appropriate commission. I'm not a player, so tuning them is out of my league, but have a number of his friends who can do it for me. Thank you so much for your kind words--they mean a lot and would have meant a lot to Art. He was so humble about everything.

There was a wonderful service for him on June 19th and many of the Boston Symphony and Pops cellists, violists and violinists played at the service. MOre than 250 people came and so many spoke about Art--it was amazing and touching. The Boston Globe wrote a large piece, with Picture, on him as well.

I'm just taking it a day at a time, as we were together 33 years. Thanks again, and hope to hear from you, Donna Toman

September 23, 2004 at 08:43 PM · is it possible to make arrangements to try the violins you have for sale? (will be in newton for thanksgiving.)

November 23, 2004 at 06:56 PM · Hi Rob, so sorry--just looked at the response today (11/23/04). I will be traveling late morning on thanksgiving day. Is there a particular time you would want to stop by? Email me directly at donnastoman@rcn.com. Thanks, Donna

October 14, 2005 at 12:11 AM · I am also sorry to hear of Mr. Toman's passing. I did not know him personally, but his craftsmanship has brought wonderful feelings to me and my family over the past nine years. I own one of two violas Arthur Toman crafted in 1977 in the Salt Lake City area, and it is simply the best viola I've ever played. I am grateful for his wonderful contribution to my life.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies
Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe