Spiccato at the Tip?

August 9, 2004 at 05:15 AM · I have a bowing excercise that is asking me to play spiccato at the tip. It is mainly 16th notes with accents on the 1st and 3rd beat (making it even more challenging) - the first note seperate bowing then by twos they are attatched dd_dd_d_d. due to the "hooked" type bowing it makes it even more challenging. I can execute middle bow sp. fine, but find that I have no control when doing it at the tip. Furthermore, I can bearly hear the notes (mostly bow noise). it is suppose to be forte and in some cases fz, I have no clue how to practice or establish a clear sound with Sp. at the tip..any suggestions?

Replies (2)

August 10, 2004 at 02:28 AM · Shelby, I think, you are asking about kind of bowing named "Viotti Bowing". It is not spiccato, because you don't leave string while playing it. Also, spiccato we never play in one bow direction. In this kind of bowing (as I understood from your description) you must play 1st note separately down bow martele, 2nd and 3rd notes-staccato up bow with accent on 3rd note (actually, you play 3rd note like 1st-martele); 4th and 5th-staccato down bow w/accent on 5th note, etc. Is this right? If not, pls, let me know.

So, Viotti Bowing practice like this:

1. Start 1st note a little above the middle of bow and play regular martele down bow. Stop the bow!

2. Play 2nd note up bow staccato using the very short bow near the very tip of bow. Stop bow, don't rush to play 3rd note. (These stops are very important to prepare next sound).

3. Play 3rd note up bow with slight accent and using faster bow speed and lenth (stop at the point, where you started 1st note).

4. Do the same, what you did with 2nd and 3rd notes, but down bow. Etc.

GL.

August 10, 2004 at 11:08 PM · Spiccato cannot be performed properly at the tip, however, a riccochet can.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe