G string is dull

August 3, 2004 at 02:40 AM · I have Dominants on my violin but the G string is sounding very dull. Any suggestions?

Replies (13)

August 3, 2004 at 03:09 AM · Might be something with the placement of your soundpost. You can take it to a luthier for a checkup, and they can fix that kind of thing in seconds.

Or, it could also possibly be the violin itself. Some violins are built in such a way that some strings sound brighter than others. Not on purpose or anything. it just happens.

August 3, 2004 at 07:59 PM · I find that the G string is just dull no matter what when it comes to dominant. Try Pirastro. Oliv or Obligato.

August 3, 2004 at 09:52 PM · i find that Dominant G's are dull.. they may be good for the first week or so.... if you like dominants, try using different thicknesses of the string or try some other G's

August 4, 2004 at 12:50 AM · I love the sound of the Obligato G string...so warm!

August 4, 2004 at 01:19 AM · The brightest G string around is the Evah Pirazzi G from Pirastro. Give it a try.

August 4, 2004 at 12:05 PM · You could also look into checking whether or not your bridge is too low at the G string side. Your luthier should be able to tell if this could be contributing to the problem. I was getting some weird noises (including a dull sound) from my G string and got my bridge replaced. This cured the problem for me. Bridge height has a lot of impact on the sound of the violin, but is also personal preference (i.e some players prefer a higher bridge, some prefer a lower one). Personally, I think its a case of getting a balance between what is good for the sound of the violin and what is comfortable to the player.

August 4, 2004 at 01:53 PM · You should try the infeld reds, or blues(or a combination of both) they both have really full sounds, with alot of depth and very even. They sound 100 times better then dominants.

August 4, 2004 at 04:44 PM · i support the infield idea, i definitely prefer them to dominants. but i am curious, has anyone tried the thomastik vision strings yet(either kind)? i'm just not sure if i want to buy a pair or not...

matthew feldman

August 4, 2004 at 05:07 PM · Type in Thomastik vision, or vision strings on the search option.

August 7, 2004 at 01:26 AM · I´m on the process of changing strings. I love to try several brands for myself to have my own idea about them.

Their sound also vary according to your instrument.

So far I like Pirastro Tonica (try Hard gauge)& Obligato for the lowest strings.

Evah Pirazzi are kind of brilliant on my violin.

I´ll try Thomastik Vision on next days and will let you know.

August 8, 2004 at 06:13 PM · If you like a deep rich sound on your violin, try the Oliv or Obligato strings from Pirastro, or the Infeld Reds from Thomastik-Infeld. If you're looking for a really bright sound try the Evah Pirazzi or Gold Label strings from Pirastro, the Infeld Blues from Thomastik-Infeld, or possibly the Zyex strings from d'Addario. Or mix different strings depending on your taste in the timbre. For the E, you should definitely give the non-whistling E from Kaplan/d'Addario a try.

August 9, 2004 at 04:17 PM · Hello

My favorits are the VISION strings from Domastik.

The Vision medium g-string is focussed and brilliant.

St.

August 12, 2004 at 12:02 AM · The Olive strings alone are AWESOME! I am using them now for an experiment. They are very powerful; and the rigid G is amazing with it's quality and production! You should give it a try...

Although the Olives are gut strings; so they go out of tune a lot while your playing. They are very sensitive to climatic changes and humidity.

Other than that. The Olive G string is very powerful and it has a long lasting life. You should give it a try!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe