Music From The Movie Together

July 25, 2004 at 02:48 AM · Hey thanks to everyone at violinst.com for recommending this film. I really liked it. There is a piece of music in the movie I have heard before but I don't know what it is. It is played by the violinist and his first teacher (on piano) at their last lesson together. It sounds like Rachmaninoff. Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks! Nick

Replies (9)

July 26, 2004 at 05:12 PM · I believe it's the Consolation No. 3, by Lizst. But I may be wrong.

July 28, 2004 at 03:19 AM · Yup, that's right.

For a full list of pieces played, goto

http://movieweb.com/movies/download.php?id=898&q=notes.htm

It's about halfway down.

July 29, 2004 at 08:23 PM · Thanks, Cindy and Wenhao;

Yesterday I found the soundtrack at Barnes and Noble and listened to it last night. I really love that piece, and also I discovered Conus and Vieuxtemps who I hadn't heard before, and the piece, "Sunrise over Tashkorgan" which sounds like Arabic or Greek music, with the use of hijaz mode and meter in 7. Does anyone know anything about the composer, Chen Gang?

Also, how often is that Conus concerto performed?

This is a great website. If it hadn't been for violinist.com, I wouldn't have known about this great movie and I wouldn't have heard all this great music. Thanks!

August 1, 2004 at 04:44 AM · This website tells you a little about Chen Gang:

http://gangchen.nease.net/English/english_index.htm

Also, about the Conus, I've personally never heard it played. I only heard of it when my stand partner once mentioned that she was playing it.

August 2, 2004 at 02:03 AM · I think at least 3 people were working on the Conus this summer at Encore, and 1 of them performed it. It's an interesting piece.

August 3, 2004 at 03:30 AM · Cool website, thx. Brian, what is Encore?

August 3, 2004 at 05:26 PM · I've never heard of the Conus concert (never seen "together"). Is is difficult? What level?

August 6, 2004 at 07:07 PM · I looked in the ABRSM violin syllabus and found the Conus listed at the Performer's level together with Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Sibelius, etc.

"Together" is an enjoyable movie, maybe a bit corny at the end, but any violinist should like to watch it.

August 12, 2004 at 06:44 PM · I was one of the people playing Conus at Encore. I think that... four of us in Lipsett's studio were working on it, and three of us performed it in studio class. If you were in Wood, you'll know me as the one that practiced Conus around 7 (and at the end of camp 5) in the morning.

Don't like the piece, though, I must say...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe