buying a violin??

July 21, 2004 at 12:24 AM · right now I used a violin rented by my teacher, I want to get a new violin. My question is should I buy a violin or continue to used this one, I have a yr and half playing is is this the time to buy a good violin or not? and if so, I'll be willing to spend 1,000 for a violin can you get a good violin at that price? any suggestions here....

Replies (6)

July 21, 2004 at 01:06 AM · If you're just renting from your teacher, but want something better, Johnson Strings has some really good rental deals with better instruments that i spent the better part of 6 years using. $1000 can get you a mediocre student instrument. I suggest renting from somewhere on a better instrument, and wait a while. Get better, and make sure that it'll be worth the money spent.

July 22, 2004 at 08:34 AM · Nothing beats a violin that you own yourself. To many people, their own violin is a reflection of his or her own personality. Some people even love their violin to death, literally. Peter Fereirra recently mentioned that a violin that was found in a old coffin together with its long dead owner. I'll not hesitate to recommend that you buy your own violin as soon as you can afford it. Live with it and grow with it. Nurture it with all your love and energy and it will respond in a way that will brighten your life tremendously. So go ahead and get your own violin. AARON

July 22, 2004 at 05:44 PM · I think we have to find a different way to classify violins. Unless you're a professional I think $1000 can buy a pretty good instrument (with some careful shopping around of course). Certainly much better than a beginner instrument, and certainly good enough, I would think ,to take you through to Grade 8 RCM or Book 8 Suzuki (just as a guideline).

To reach a Grade 8 level of playing may take several years to achieve, or you might never get there (and that's okay too...nothing wrong with playing easier pieces or just for your own pleasure, or in church ensemble, or fiddle group). If that's the case there is no point in spending more than $1000!

If you do become a very proficient player, you might want a really good quality instrument...and then you'd have to go shopping again. But at least in the interim you'd have a decent instrument of your own that you can later use as a back-up, or sell to another advancing student.

July 22, 2004 at 10:49 PM · Thanks for the replies, I really want to get to the professional level eventually, so I think I should hold off on buying a great violin, So does anyone here have any suggestions where I can find a good decent violin in the chicago area. I'm on book 2 in suzuki

thanx

July 24, 2004 at 03:05 AM · You're in Chicago? There must be many places to buy all levels of violins. For an adventure you may want to just check out violins at all sorts of shops. You'd get a better idea of what you'd want in an instrument and how much it would eventually cost.

Also, how much are you paying for your rental violin? You don't have to answer, but I know someone who rented a violin and could've bought 2 violins of the same quality for the cash used to pay the monthly rental fee.

Oh, how I wished I lived somewhere where I could get all my violin needs locally instead of orderring everything on the internet!

July 24, 2004 at 05:48 AM · I pay 30 a month to rent my violin.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe