Esther Kim

July 16, 2004 at 05:10 AM · Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to know what you all think about Esther Kim.

I've added some brand new music and video files to Esther Kim's personal website, which is at http://www.esther-kim.com/music.html

Any comments/suggestions/praise/critques would be *greatly* appreciated! Hope to start some good discussion!

Thanks!

Edward Kim

Replies (11)

July 16, 2004 at 06:16 AM · Forgive me, but I had not heard of this prodigy until you posted this! Nevertheless, I am most impressed with her expressive style.

July 16, 2004 at 07:17 AM · If she's the young lady who played Sarasate on Robert Schuller's program in the Crystal Cathedral I think she's great.

July 16, 2004 at 07:45 AM · Yes, she is the one that played Sarasate on Robert Schuler's show. Only, she is several years older now =).

July 16, 2004 at 05:06 PM · i really like her tone, she's gonna be good

July 16, 2004 at 08:00 PM · I have a downloaded video on my computer of Esther Kim playing the Zapateado at the Crystal Cathedral. About a year ago, when I was working on the Zapateado, I would watch the video and get a little depressed... ;)

She's an excellent young player.

July 16, 2004 at 10:04 PM · she will be great

July 17, 2004 at 10:40 PM · She will be great, yes. But for now, let her be a child. :)

July 17, 2004 at 10:48 PM · When I heard some of the recordings, I almost cried of jealosy on a count of I'm only playing Theme from "Witches' Dance" in Suzuki 2, and it sounds horrible. Anyway, she sounds like a proffesional. How old is she?

-sara

July 17, 2004 at 10:54 PM · Bit late for that, Raphael; she's sixteen...

What a wonderfully feisty player. Her Intro and Rondo rocks - I'm so jealous! Such an individual performance; she's really made it her own - and is that a spattering of left hand pizz I hear? Great stuff.

August 27, 2004 at 05:41 PM · I have heard Ester in Bled, Slovenija this July, where she was awarded 2nd prize in a small, but international competition. - Her teacher being (in) the jury.

I liked her extrovered play and charming smiles on stage. Surely a gifted and talented girl, with high potential on stage.

Judging from her dress and from how she played, I assumed she might be a 13 year old 'wunderkind' (prodigy), dressed to look younger to impress the males in the jury.

Later I discovered Esther is 16. For me that puts her performance in quite a different perspective.

For someone with ambition, in that age I expect already sound technical and musical foundation, much more than she has shown. Coming from that, I feel pity for her. I wish she will get a thorough music and violin-education, that also grows her personality. As an idea, not knowing other aspects, I could think of her joining Curtis as a potential option for the near future.

August 27, 2004 at 08:48 PM · who is/was her past/current teachers?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe