What Are Your Favorite Music-Related Movies?

July 7, 2004 at 04:34 AM · Hello all,

Since it's summer time, it'd be a good idea to watch lots of movies. What are good music related movies you can recommend? (such as the red violin, legend of 1900, speaking in strings, etc, that sort of thing)

thank you!

Replies (100)

July 7, 2004 at 05:25 AM · Oh man, my absolute favorite is the movie "Together". Its completely in chinese (don't worry there are very good english subtitles), though I don't think it'll be easy to find. Anyways, that movie sort of served as an inspiration for me on the violin (yes it is that good). It stars an amazing 13 year old boy playing the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto (mvt.3) which is absolutely incredible, and the story is great. So... yeah, that's my 2 cents :-P.

- Wenhao Sun

July 8, 2004 at 09:46 AM ·

July 7, 2004 at 10:04 AM · Wenhao, is the movie in Mandarin or Cantonese? Who are the actors? What year was it released? How come I haven't heard of the movie before? AARON

July 7, 2004 at 10:20 AM · I can't remember the name of the movie but it was pretty unusual. It was the story of a guy who was born on a passenger ship at the turn of the century and have never set foot on dry land. He learned the piano by himself and the piano was his life. Incredible music there. I dunno if the actor played the music himself but it was pretty convincing. I love the movie but I don't have the video or VCD of it unfortunately. Anyone know what was the name of the film?

AARON

July 7, 2004 at 12:56 PM · There is a movie on Schumann that opens w/ Kremer playing Paganini's Capriccio 17.

July 7, 2004 at 01:00 PM · definitely Amadeus, followed by Immortal Beloved.

July 7, 2004 at 01:38 PM · I forgot the movie starring Surely Mcclain (excuse the spelling), about a piano teacher and her disciple, it incredible.

July 7, 2004 at 02:01 PM · Hi Aaron,

I love that movie to! It's "The Legend of 1900"

I love the part when he's recording and the good looking girl passes by from window to window with the ocean behind, and the music he plays with it.

Peter

July 7, 2004 at 02:19 PM · Maybe 40 years ago I saw a film about a touring symphony orchestra trapped inside Germany during World War II. I vaguely recall it was mostly about the conductor being pressured to play for the Nazis, and there might have been some performances of Beethoven and Wagner. But I have a vivid memory of one scene---an escaped American POW hid out with the orchestra. His only musical experience had been in a high school marching band, so the conductor put a trombone in his hand and told him to sit with the brass section and look inconspicuous. The Nazi SS guy spotted him anyway and demanded he play a solo to prove he was really an orchestra member. So he played the Star Spangled Banner. I don't suppose anyone knows the name of that film?

July 7, 2004 at 03:05 PM · Shine is amazing.

July 7, 2004 at 03:08 PM · Right on Pete!!! Sure as heck wasn't the Titanic. I really like the movie. Do you think the actor actually played the piano or was it just some kind of a special effects?

My most unforgettable moment was when the guy was playing the piano inside the ship during a big storm and the piano was sliding all over the place (together with the pianist) without crashing into anything. Sure was marvellous to watch it.

Now my next step is to go to the video shop and get "The Legend of 1900" and watch it all over again.

Thanks for jostling my memory Pete.

AARON

July 7, 2004 at 03:18 PM · Shine was amazing, and I really liked Amadeus (didn't care much for The Red Violin).

If you don't mind something intense and a little far out, try "Mahler" by Ken Russell. For fluffy fun, "A Hard Day's Night." For laughs, "The Rutles." For side-aching laughs, "This is Spinal Tap."

July 7, 2004 at 03:34 PM · Having seen a lack of movies in general, and even fewer music related ones, I think I'd have to say Amadeus is my favorite! Fiddler on the Roof inspired me when I was really little. Gosh...I don't know if I can name any other music related films I've seen...

July 7, 2004 at 03:37 PM · I couldn't stand Shine. Amadeus is quite good, but historically innaccurate. Music of the heart isn't too bad, and Let Them Have Music is good too.

Carl.

July 7, 2004 at 04:42 PM · As far as the movie concern, Amadeus wasn't actually a Mozart bio at all, as the director had put it up already. Same thing applies to Immortal Beloved, they are not composers bio., they are just movies.

July 7, 2004 at 05:31 PM · I'd definetly have to say "Music of the Heart" (Meryl Streep; it's a total feel-good, inspiring, violin :-D one, plus I love the Carnegie Hall scenes and the fact that Isaac Stern has a part there in the movie). I also love "The Pianist," although it's not really a lighthearted film. The music is beautiful (piano music, although there is an orchestra part here and there), and it's very touching and intense.

I've heard that "The Red Violin" is also good, but I haven't seen it.

July 7, 2004 at 05:42 PM · In random order:

Shine - Fell in love Rachmaninov's music

The Red Violin

The Piano - Reminded me how much I love to play the piano too

Together (with you)

Amadeus

Immortal Beloved

The Pianist - Fell in love with Chopin's Ballade in Gm

July 7, 2004 at 06:41 PM · I liked the Buddy Holly story. It was about more than just music. It was about dealing with racism, a music industry with no imagination, and relatives with preconceived ideas about what a young man from Texas is supposed to do with his life - all things that I dealt with in my youth.

July 7, 2004 at 07:20 PM · Tom

I have been telling people about that scene (the POW plays the Star-Spangled Banner on the trombone) for 40 years, I guess. I'm not positive but I have always told people that the title was "Point-Counterpoint". (I should have tried a search). I was beginning to think I had dreamed it up. You are the first person to ever confirm that I really did see such a scene. The rest of the movie apparently did not make much of an impression, but that scene has stayed with me all these years.

July 7, 2004 at 07:43 PM · Evelyn, thanks! I wonder if obscure old films like that have much chance of getting onto DVD.

Among other obscure music-movies, The Competition (with Roy Scheider and ???) from about 20 years ago was pretty good. The climax was the finale of the Prokofiev 3rd piano concerto. I understand that Scheider himself, with a lot of preparation, did his character's piano work (Beethoven Emperor Concerto) for the filming (no stunt-double).

For something campy there was Lisztomania from the late 70's, starring a young Roger Daltrey as Franz Liszt. If I remember right, in the film he turned Richard Wagner into his arch-enemy by playing a piano fantasia on Wagner's Flying Dutchman that somehow kept segueing into Chopsticks, to the delight of his adoring female fans.

July 7, 2004 at 08:59 PM · together, the red violin, and from mao to mozart.

July 7, 2004 at 09:43 PM · I would have to say The Pianist left a pretty big impression on me. I remember seeing a movie on AMC where there's this one lady who pretends she's younger than she is by putting on fake braces and dressing really young. She wanted to play I think it was on some concert hall but the only way she would be able to play was to make herself look like she was a child so that she could seem like a prodigy. (confusing I know) Anyways she starts having problems trying to fake her identity to this record dealer type man. I didn't see how it ends but I know for her audition she played the Chopin Revolutionary. Not the best movie but hey it's out there. Does anyone know what it's called?

July 7, 2004 at 11:49 PM · Check out Brit flick Truly, Madly, Deeply with Alan Rickman as a cellist's ghost and Juliet Stevenson as his grieving girlfriend. Excellent acting with a Bach soundtrack.

July 8, 2004 at 01:51 AM · I also agree with watching The Pianist. It's kind of depressing, but it's a good movie.

-sara

July 8, 2004 at 04:52 AM · Err... for the third and fourth posts, Together can be found on amazon.com, but that's only if you want to buy it. I'm sure it's also available at any foreign movie store or maybe even in the foreign movie section of blockbuster... Not sure though :-P. Movie is in mandarin with english subtitles, directed by same guy who made "Farewell, My Concubine" (Chen Kaige) The other actors are lesser known, but they do a great job. It was released i think 2 years ago.

- Wenhao Sun

July 8, 2004 at 05:24 AM · 1. "They Shall Have Music" starring Jascha Heifetz.

2. "Carnegie Hall" with Heifetz, Pinza, Reiner, Jan Peerce etc. etc.

July 8, 2004 at 11:52 AM ·

July 8, 2004 at 01:01 PM · Re "The Competition," it starred Richard Dreyfuss, not Roy Scheider. I got my "Jaws" actors mixed up.

July 8, 2004 at 03:01 PM · Ditto on Truly Madly Deeply

Oddly enough, the History Channel showed 'Counterpoint' this past weekend: Charlton Heston is the main character:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0062829/

'Together' (with english subtitles) is available on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000C2IW7/ref=ase_internetmoviedat/103-6623722-5701460?v=glance&s=dvd

July 8, 2004 at 06:53 PM · Oh yeah, and I saw a dvd of one of the recent Van Cliburn competitions, it was really cool.

July 8, 2004 at 08:49 PM · Are there any DVDs of a major violin competition availeble (like Queen Elisabeth, for instance)?

July 8, 2004 at 09:04 PM · The Van Cliburn one was "Playing on the Edge"; documentary of the 2000 van cliburn competition, and also with full footage of Olga Kern on Rach 3 and...the other guy [forgot his name] on Tchaik. Good stuff.

Mao to Mozart is good :-D

July 8, 2004 at 09:18 PM · Has anyone seen Mr Holland's Opus? I haven't yet.

July 9, 2004 at 02:18 AM · There are many music related movies (though not really very many good ones.) The ones I've seen are:

Amadeus (I just saw it a few days ago and I don't like it.)

Red Violin (Absolutly bogus)

Humoreske (Isaac Stern impressed me, and the actings okay)

The Pianist (A great film, but definitly not for the weak of heart)

Limelight (A little Chaplin film with Chaplin playing at the end, music is great and comedy, as always, is gold)

I havn't seen:

"They Shall have Music"

"Intermezzio"

"Together" (I know the violinist)

July 9, 2004 at 03:27 AM · wait a minute, bernard do you know OF the violinist or do you really KNOW the violinist?

Also, Together is a greath movie, though more moving if you can actually understand mandarin ;-p

Ciao, Grace

July 9, 2004 at 05:41 PM · huh, i got a kick out of amadeus, its not scholarly but thats not the point

July 10, 2004 at 12:43 AM · But oh man, his laugh drives me up a tree...

July 10, 2004 at 01:36 AM · Tango : Scent of a woman.

Al Pacino film some time back in the 90's i think...

July 10, 2004 at 01:46 AM · Ah, got it - one of my all-time fave movies and soundtracks: The Fabulous Baker Boys.

July 10, 2004 at 02:44 AM · 'They shall Have Music', starring the great Jakov Heifetz.

July 10, 2004 at 03:48 AM · Music of the Heart (of course!), The Red Violin and Shine..

July 10, 2004 at 05:31 AM · I saw Mr. Holland's Opus. It really wasn't that great. Kind of...waaaaay predictable, a little strange; good, perhaps, in a feel-good way. Compared to Music of the Heart (a very similar film in topic), it was nowhere near good. But that's just what I thought.

July 11, 2004 at 12:39 AM · of course Fiddler on the Roof!

July 11, 2004 at 07:03 PM · The Red Violin, and Mr. Holland's Opus are the best! No questions. (Well, for Mr. Holland's Opus that is.)

July 12, 2004 at 02:11 AM · Why, oh why has no one mentioned School of Rock?;)

July 12, 2004 at 05:24 AM · Oh my goodness, I can't believe I haven't thought of this.

Violin Players prepare to melt.

Schindler's List

*cries*

July 13, 2004 at 01:09 AM · Great film, but from a musical vantage point I'd be inclined to stick to the opening and closing credits and skip the movie...

July 13, 2004 at 04:19 AM · I thought the School of Rock was hilarious!

January 16, 2005 at 01:37 PM · Tous le matins du monde (All the mornings of the world) was INCREDIBLE. Please see it! it stars Gerard Depardieu and is sexy, gorgeous, beautiful, well-acted, has awesome music...

January 16, 2005 at 02:02 PM · Ladies in Lavander!!

January 16, 2005 at 07:27 PM · I know it's not an accurate biography, but anyone who doesn't gasp at the sight of Beethoven floating amidst the stars in "Immortal Beloved" is in need of a heart. Between that and the director's cut of "Amadeus", where we find out exactly why Constanze hates Salieri so much, it's hard to choose.

"Amadeus", of course, isn't about Mozart, but about the sins of envy and greed poisoning that which is good in the world. It illustrates that point better than just about any other film I've ever seen.

I also like "Music of the Heart", partly because my old teacher has a cameo or two, and Meryl Streep's performance is terrific (she's from my hometown, too!). Fun factoid: the movie was directed, strangely enough, by the master of B horror, Wes Craven.

January 16, 2005 at 07:57 PM · Allegro Non Troppo

Its like fantasia, but the music selection is far greater and the animations are unbelieveable. Disney animations have never done it for me like the ones in Allegro Non Troppo. Theyre always "too perfect" and not as expressive. Everyone should buy this film!

January 17, 2005 at 04:17 AM · Hello, Does anyone now if the boy in "Together" was actually playing? If he was... OMG! *speechless* Thanks

January 17, 2005 at 04:35 AM · I have no idea as to whether or not he was playing, but if he was..I agree completely.

My violin teacher (she's Chinese--as am I) lent it to me, but the version was screwed up. I only could see the second half. Any chance of my local blockbuster carring it?

January 17, 2005 at 05:03 AM · School of Rock was aweseme. Jack Black was genius in that movie. And of course, Ben Stiller is always good.

January 17, 2005 at 06:58 AM · Detroit Rock City is a great movie I always get entertained watching haha. I remember after I got severly injured 8 years ago being unable to play violin for 2 months my parents rented all these musical movies for me as I recovered like Carnegie Hall or They Shall Have Music. I watched those two quite a bit come to think of it. I also saw a very weird movie recently called The Mephisto Waltz. I figured it would be musical from the description and name of the movie little did I know it was something very explicit to say the least! Anyone else see this movie :) ?

January 17, 2005 at 06:54 AM · Hi, the boy was not actually playing, though he is still evidently very good. The man who is seen later performing on stage, another pupil of the famous teacher, he is the one whose music was dubbed for the little boy.

January 17, 2005 at 09:54 PM · One of my favorites remains The Blues Brothers - you can't go wrong with so many soul and R&B greats. And Cab Calloway's 'Minnie the Moocher' in the big finale is fabulous.

January 18, 2005 at 03:06 AM · OK, this'll date me...

but I can't believe no one's mentioned Sound of Music!! Or the Music Man. :0)

I didn't have warm feelings about Music of the Heart. But the "real" movie: Small Wonders is the documentary that Music of the Heart was inspired from. It is the real story and brings tears to my eyes everytime I watch it.

And whoever mentioned A Hard Day's Night should be given a star! LOL

Lisa

January 18, 2005 at 07:22 PM · I'm just getting ready to see The Pianist for the first time.

My Opinion only (that's a new category of my posts which means: no offense, no argument, agree to disagree): I couldn't stand Amadeus. I haven't seen Immortal Beloved either. What I've read about it hasn't made me curious.

For other movies (hee hee hee) Master and Commander!

January 18, 2005 at 07:48 PM · Another movie not specifically about music but with some great musical elements (involving the Mendelssohn and Bruch concerti) is the movie Uprising, about the Warsaw ghetto during the Holocaust. It's an excellent movie.

January 19, 2005 at 05:23 PM · I still haven't watched that yet-Schindler's List. But I love the soundtrack.

January 19, 2005 at 05:50 PM · The Red Violin - fantastic movie, fantastic music!

January 19, 2005 at 06:12 PM · What fascinated me about the Red Violin is that one violinist was playing all the music that the characters are seen playing, and with the personality and musical maturity of the characters. That impressed me more than the movie itself.

January 19, 2005 at 08:31 PM · Irene, you're right.

"Tous le matins du monde" is probably the best music-themed motion picture in the last 25 years.

Anyone who has been fortunate enough to play Marais pieces will be pleasantly rewarded with Depardieu's performance.

Funny thing,

I happend to pull out an old copy of "Sonnerie de Sainte Geneviere du Mont de Paris (one of Marais pieces for violin)" last week and started to work on the figure bass realizations for keyboard.

I'd totally forgot about the film I think I'll go rent it.

January 19, 2005 at 08:55 PM · I would like to see the film "Lieutenant Kije." Guess who wrote the score.

January 19, 2005 at 10:25 PM · I would also like to see that film.

January 19, 2005 at 11:03 PM · I got reminded in another post: Carlos Saura's Carmen - absolutely fantastic.

Lisa

January 20, 2005 at 07:45 AM · "Le Bal" was a fantastic movie. Anybody else seen it?

here

January 20, 2005 at 06:53 PM · I like 'They Shall have Music' because there's quite a good violinist who plays a mean fiddle who appears every now and again. His playing ain't too bad!

January 21, 2005 at 11:52 AM · Diva, if that counts.

And of course together, amadeus, and all of that.

January 21, 2005 at 05:44 PM · I really liked the Red Violin. I also liked Intermezzo, and Humoresque. Amedeus was funny but inaccurate.

January 22, 2005 at 03:25 AM · 1. Death for Five Voices, a doc by Werner Herzog, about Carlo Gesualdo and the strange stories surrounding his legend. It has Herzog's dark humour permeating it, and some excellent performances of Gesualdo's great dissonant madrgials.

2. Amadeus

3. The Piano Teacher (disturbing, but some nice Schumann and Schubert).

4. Herzog's Invincible has a great scene of Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto.

4. Immortal Beloved

5. Death and the Maiden

HAS ANYONE SEEN A GOOD SCHUBERT FILM, EITHER A BIOPIC OR A DOC? I'D love to see such a film. And I also want the Anne-Sophie Mutter doc on Beethoven's sonatas.

January 22, 2005 at 03:38 AM · Bergman's The Magic Flute maybe?

January 24, 2005 at 04:20 AM · From Tom Chambers

Posted via 128.163.193.75 on July 8, 2004 at 6:01 AM (MST)

Re "The Competition," it starred Richard Dreyfuss, not Roy Scheider. I got my "Jaws" actors mixed up.

Roy Scheider did star in a musical - All That Jazz.

Has anyone seen Harmony Cats?

January 25, 2005 at 10:38 PM · i loved the movie Together. It starred Yun Tang, and Peigi Liu. This movie was AMAZING! anyone who has never seen it most definitly should :D

--g

April 7, 2005 at 11:47 AM · "They Shall Have Music". - Jascha Heifetz, Joel McCrea and Walter Brennan, 1939.

A music school is financially strapped but if they can get the great Jascha Heifetz to do a benefit concert...

Well, he does and he also plays 'Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso' by St. Saens and the final movement of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto.

Great movie!

April 7, 2005 at 01:06 PM · I dont know if this has been mentioned as i couldnt be bothered reading the thread lol but ummm now i cant remember what it was called, or the actor... meryll streep? yeah i think it was her. Anyway she was a music teacher and turned around some schools music program. wasnt bad very touching and all that fuzzy stuff. was funny to watch her fake play the violin too. She even does this cute vibrato thing actually it's a very pronouced one but she just looks so awkward.

But i'm a big fan of 'the red violin' love that movie.

April 7, 2005 at 05:55 PM · Has anyone seen Les Choristes "The Choir"?? Was in the best foreign film category this year. Music and singing were truly emotive.

All family went to see and loved it. Made a big impact at here through word-of-mouth.

Rest mentioned are good too (at the ones i have seen)

April 7, 2005 at 09:30 PM · Janice is correct: the solo violin performances for Together were played by Chuanyun Li, who also appears onstage in a small role as a pupil of the master teacher. Mr. Li is also featured in the Ruggiero Ricci master class, a 5 DVD set produced by Bein & Fushi in association with the Stradivari society (not sure if this is still available, but I got mine by phoning B&F in Chicago.) Ruggiero Ricci has apparently referred to Mr. Li as one of/the most talented young violinists he's ever experienced.

Best.

AB

April 7, 2005 at 09:50 PM · By the way, Together is widely available on DVD, and can easily be found at your local video store. The film was released in 2002 and directed by Chen Kaige. The title is "He ni zai yi qi" but the film was released in the US as "Together" and in the UK as Together With You."

April 8, 2005 at 04:18 AM · Jim, about 'Lieutenant Kije'... I think the score was written by Prokofiev(?)

April 8, 2005 at 04:25 AM · There is really nice music in the movie produced by famous Frederico Fellini. Don't know exact title, it sounds like 'Orchestral Rehearsal'. Does enybody know about this movie? And was it released in US?

April 8, 2005 at 04:49 AM · Amal And The Night Visitors by Menotti is one of my personal favorites...not about music, but an operetta/movie.

April 8, 2005 at 02:03 PM · Humoresque -1946 Starring Joan Crawford, John Garfield and Oscar Levant with Isaac Stern playing on the soundtrack is the ultimate violinist movie. The soundtrack is filled with some of the best classics with a young Stern playing in top form. Also try The Magic Bow 1947, a movie about Paganini's life with Menuhin playing on the soundtrack. The story is not done well, but Menuhin's violin playing is worth watching it.

April 27, 2005 at 03:08 PM · I understand that this is a violin-centric site, but come on people! There are some really excellent movies out there! First - there is The Commitments - a story about an Irish soul band. This movie has a great plot line and all of the poeple in the band ACTUALLY PLAY THEIR OWN INSTRUMENTS! You can also see members of the family band 'The Corr's' in the movie as well.

The American movie 'The Blues Brothers' is also another remarkable file - 2 comedians that actually had a real band - and the movie is FUN-NY! Don't miss that one.

On a Japanese not - Check out the band SMAP - especially Shingo Katori. He has a site on the web - www.shingomama.com - he dresses as a woman and breaks into families houses and gets them ready for the day whle the MOM of the house has a day off. The Shingo Mama Oha Rock song is great! Learn the dance.

My favorite violin film - per se - is Barrage, The World on Stage - 7 violinists with a back up band - Outstanding!

April 27, 2005 at 05:04 PM · > First - there is The Commitments - a story about an Irish soul band. This movie has a great plot line and all of the poeple in the band ACTUALLY PLAY THEIR OWN INSTRUMENTS!<

I know Eamonn Flynn, who played the keys for this great film. He did not appear in the movie.

-Scott

April 27, 2005 at 06:57 PM · As long as we're onto non-violin music in movies, I was impressed with the soundtrack to Napoleon Dynamite. Wow, the things you can do with a Casio keyboard.

Music makes or breaks the movie, and is crucial for setting the tone. Napoleon Dynamite had music that was appropraitely cheesy-bad, and it totally made the movie. That, and the disco dance scene...

April 29, 2005 at 02:24 AM · My favorite music-movies:

The Red Violin

Music of the Heart

I did not like:

Together

Amadeus

Un Coeur l'hiver (I think that's the proper French spelling)

Mr. Holland's Opus

April 29, 2005 at 02:47 AM · Did anybody ever see "Exposed" with Rudolph Nureyev and Nastassja Kinski?

April 29, 2005 at 08:24 AM · I don't know if this qualifies for a movie but I like the video of the Les Miserables anniversary performance in HongKong. Other movies I like: Music of the Heart, Immortal Beloved, Mr. Holland's Opus, Fiddler on the Roof, Red Violin, almost all Walt Disney musicales, Moulin Rouge.

April 29, 2005 at 12:51 PM · I like Red Violin and Music of the Heart. I was an extra in Music of the Heart in the big concert scene with all the kids playing. That was not fun at all. But I like the movie.

April 29, 2005 at 07:20 PM · Actually, theres a movie/documentary , "Music From The Inside Out," about the Philadelphia Orchestra and music in general. BUT I think it's only out in Philadelphia (and only in one theatre) and it's only out for a week. I'm sure it's going to make it's way around though. The movie's really well made and inspiring. One of my favorite scenes had to be seeing an accordian player play Winter o_O Freakishly good. If you have the oppurtunity, check this movie out.

April 29, 2005 at 07:27 PM · Oh, and while we're on the matter, has anyone heard of a movie coming out about Beethoven? I haven't seen any previews, but there was an article in Time magazine about some actor (forget his name) training for the role. I hope it turns out well.

April 29, 2005 at 08:53 PM · I imagine most people will reply with movies that empahasize violins, but please listen to Hitchcock's movies particularly Vertigo.

April 29, 2005 at 09:16 PM · Oooh, I love Hitchcock, especially "Vertigo"...!

This is a little off-topic, but I got a big kick out of one particular scene in the movie "Gattaca" (anyone else seen it? The music is subtle, but eerily gorgeous at the same time... and, for the life of me, I cannot remember who the composer was.)

The movie is a sci-fi thinker, about the role of genetic engineering and test-tube babies on society in the future. But there's one scene where the two main characters go out for an evening piano concert, and we find out afterwards that the pianist, who was fabulous, was "engineered" to have six fingers on each hand!! The main character compliments the pianist's playing after the concert ("How amazing he was!...") and, Irene, his female companion, merely responds, "That piece can only be played with twelve fingers."

I love it! =)

April 29, 2005 at 09:38 PM · Okay, so I was curious and I investigated Gattaca a little more... The piano piece was called "Impromptu for 12 Fingers", and the composer for it, and the whole movie, was Michael Nyman. =)

July 10, 2005 at 09:54 PM · Everyone stop what you're doing and watch the movie SPEAKING IN STRINGS which is a documentary about the life and career of the violinist Nadja Salerno Sonnenberg. Watching it was a life-altering experience for me, it got me back into the violin after being away for 42 years! Her passion and artistry are just off the scale.

September 9, 2007 at 09:56 AM · Little warmup of an old thread, but the other movie threads were closed:

El violĂ­n, Mexico 2006. I watched it yesterday, very impressing movie!

September 9, 2007 at 12:47 PM · I rather liked Red Violin--it's the best playing I ever heard from Joshua Bell.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe