Violin Studies

July 4, 2004 at 06:28 AM · I have recently decided to take my violin playing alot more seriously, (currently working for Grade 8).

I am a good learner and I pick up things quickly, the only major thing holding me back is my technique.

After reading through many archives for advice on technical problems, the answer seems to be practice a study or etude of some kind.

My Teacher usually tells me to practice scales/arpeggios and pieces; which probably won't help me in the long term.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book of etudes/studies that isn't too advanced, (considering my standard) and covers a large variety of different techniques/bowing etc.

If its any use I have Kinsey's book 3, but I don't find it much help.

Replies (21)

July 4, 2004 at 06:34 AM · KREUTZER ALL THE WAY!!! Those are life long studies that should be practiced for the rest of your life, after that you can move on to Fiorillo It's slightly more advanced than Kreutzer then you have rode that will add style to your playing.. then the hardest of them all Dont, his 24 etudes and caprices are the top of the etudes list for most students.

July 4, 2004 at 06:51 AM · Vernon's right on the money. Add to that Gavines and Schradiek.

Preston

July 4, 2004 at 07:06 AM · hmm gavinies would be between Rode and Dont?

July 4, 2004 at 09:29 AM · Some do Dont - Wieniawski, others add Gavinies in between.

And btw, Rode is prep to Kreutzer.

July 4, 2004 at 10:06 AM · Mattias, are you saying that some don't do Dont? Are there people who do do Don't? Or don't they? ;)

July 4, 2004 at 11:16 AM · They don't skip Dont :)

Either Dont and then Wieniawski or

Dont then Gavines and then Wieniawski.

But in that level I don't think that it is that common to do a book from cover to cover. Most have already mastered most of Kayser, Fiorillo and Rode, all Kreutzer BEFORE they enter this level, so it is more common to have perhaps half of Dont, some 5-10 Gavines, most Wieniawski and 6-12 Paganini.

Then the study time is over for most and thay are to old to be in conservatories.

Unless you study as a topstudent with Bron, Negri, Lucas or whoever for most of your young life (Like Vengerov, Repin, Bell, Barton and other nuts that stayed with the same teacher for some 10-12 years) you are to skip many etudes, and many concertos for that matter to. Most of us (that have a complete education) have played EITHER Brahms, Tchaikovsky or Sibelius. Very few of us have played all three.

July 4, 2004 at 06:46 PM · Call me crazy, but I've actually really enjoy practicing my Kreutzer and Gavines etudes!!

July 4, 2004 at 07:17 PM · u should definetely do kreutzer.and the sclaes and arpeggios that u are doing will most definetely help you in the long run. i dont think that u should do dont, wieniawski, fiorillo, or rode yet though.u have to do kreutzer before you do those.

July 4, 2004 at 07:16 PM · You may want to find a new teacher who incorporate etudes into their teaching. I have not known any good teachers (for intermediate-advanced students) who does not use etudes. Which book to use is another question. It depends on what kinds of techniques you need to build, again a good teacher will be able to chart a clear etude path for you.

July 5, 2004 at 12:03 AM · Scales help everyone in the long run..

My teacher once told me: You are as good as your scales. It's true!

I work on Kreutzer most of the time, once in a while I work in a little bit of Rode during my lessons. Everyone of those etudes benifit everyone....

July 5, 2004 at 01:58 AM · yeah kreutzer is a good start and scales do help in the long run definately

July 5, 2004 at 02:37 AM · i thoroughly enjoy gavinies, very musical and fun, 15 is my favorite

July 5, 2004 at 05:17 AM · If you have never done any studies you may find it a bit difficult to leap straight into Kreuzer.If you have access to a library see if you can find a copy of the Wohlfart studies to flick through.If you find that you can sight read these without too much problem move on to Mazas 75 Melododius and Progressive studies (I'm surprised no-ones mentioned these)which are also very musical and then the Dont op35 which are preparatary to the Kreuzer.However I would discuss all of this with your teacher.It sounds to me as though you've been moving through the exam system leaving no time for technique building.These studies also play a fundamental role in the history and development of violin technique and so are doubly important.

July 5, 2004 at 12:53 PM · I barely remember doing those Wohlfhart... then again that is something I purposefully

try to forget... it felt like torture!!!

July 5, 2004 at 02:37 PM · As stated, Kreutzer and Dont are compulsory.

Your right hand and bow arm need specific and detailed attention: Schradieck School of Violin Technics [sic] is an excellent vehicle for development of the bow. The etudes are adaptable to each level of competency; their thorough study will greatly increase one's mastery of the bow and its specific techniques. All violinists (intermediate, advanced, and accomplished) will find Schradieck well-worth the time invested.

Eric

July 5, 2004 at 02:55 PM · Basics will help with a lot of nitty-gritty technical work.

July 5, 2004 at 02:55 PM · Scales are excellent, but has anyone mentioned the importance of arpeggios? I personally find they give you a lot more facility on the instrument. Scales are excellent for practicing speed, intonation, tone, ect.

July 5, 2004 at 11:14 PM · both are essential

July 5, 2004 at 11:20 PM · Szigeti mentioned in his book (Szigeti on Violin) the Kreutzer etudes are studies that players use when first learning the instrument, something from their past but suggested they are something that should be played life long, furthermore he said that Mahler's concertmaster, Mr Rose was still practicing them at age 70!

July 6, 2004 at 08:11 PM · so what concertos or pieces are you working on because dont is fairly advanced, kreutzer is not easy either.

July 7, 2004 at 05:28 AM · Precisely my point Owen,maybe it would be better to try some of the easier studies before going on to Kreutzer

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe