Anyone know how much a Kloz violin is worth?

July 2, 2004 at 06:05 PM · Any idea what price range is a George Kloz (Mittenwald) 1737 violin?

Replies (30)

July 2, 2004 at 07:45 PM · My friend tess bought one for 18 thousand dollars... I don't know if that helps any.

July 2, 2004 at 07:45 PM · Hi,

I played on A George Klotz from around the same year. The dealer who was selling it for $8000 american. I must admit, it was worth much more as far as I'm concerned. It had a huge projecting sound and it was extremely easy to play. (unfortunately, I couldn't buy it due to lack of funds)

July 2, 2004 at 07:52 PM · About $10-15K in dealer's shop in US. A few may go higher or lower depends on the general condition and historical value (owned by famous violinist etc.). At auctions you should be able to get with significantly less than 10K.

July 2, 2004 at 08:38 PM · my little brother is getting a Klotz... he's all excited.

July 3, 2004 at 12:08 AM · Thank you all guys for the infor. Mine has a great sound that I would not ask anything more from it. Yesterday evening I had the strings changed to Zyex from D'Addario and the effect was incredible. It no l onger has a screeching sound. The tone was steady and the projection was warm and loud. I really love this violin. I'm disappointed however at the varnish. Although it is a deep red, the previous owner has decided to varnish it himself, and did a poor job too, obliterating the fine lines at the top and the flames at the back. The varnish was uneven. But the really amazing thing is, for a violin built in 1737, this one has absolutely no cracks past or present, no separations and absolutely no chips around the edges. It does however, has normal surface scuff marks and scratches from normal wear and tear but that's about all. Thank you all - AARON

July 3, 2004 at 01:01 AM · That guy did a very stupid thing in revarnishing that violin!!!

July 3, 2004 at 09:00 AM · I couldn't agree with you more, Vernon. But in the end the violin still have the antique look, not to mention the pervasive cockroach smell.

AARON

July 3, 2004 at 01:32 PM · I saw one recently in toulouse,France ,Itwas less than 15000 euros

July 3, 2004 at 03:34 PM · Where German violins are concerned, who are the best luthiers among the Kloz family members? And who is George in relation to Aegedius or Matthias Kloz? - AARON

July 3, 2004 at 05:31 PM · ""That guy did a very stupid thing in revarnishing that violin!!! ""

and it makes the value of the instrument drop also!

Speaking of sound and strings, I own a few German violins, one of them an authentic 1800's Schweitzer violin (you can see photos on my site www.peterferreira.com)and find that they like low tension strings and also the Dominants and Pirazzis (Evah).

Regards

Peter

July 3, 2004 at 05:35 PM · So tonicas or olives wouldn't be good? thats what my brother uses... well tonicas for the most part.

July 3, 2004 at 07:33 PM · I don't like Tonicas! Olives are also good but make my violin sound harsh..

Peter

July 3, 2004 at 07:51 PM · Tonicas are my main string, I use olives for concerts. my brother uses dominants and tonicas for concert.

July 3, 2004 at 11:59 PM · http://maestronet.com/history/instruments.cfm?ID=1&first_name=Georg&middle_name=&last_name=Klotz

That is the Maestronet history for the prices of George Klotzes.

July 4, 2004 at 08:16 AM · Thanx Max for your input. - AARON

July 4, 2004 at 07:27 PM · Be careful about the price history listed on Maestronet. Most are listed as per auction, dealer price is usually about twice as much. Secondly, a violin can be labelled as Klotz, but actually a well-made copy or, worse, a chinese made violin. If you are really interested in recent price, you should check out recent auctions from major houses.

July 5, 2004 at 04:29 AM · i have a violin labeled Josef Klotz Mittenwald 1795. I've recieved two valuations of it in the time i've had it. One said it was an original and worth around AUD$4500. THe other said it was a copy made in 1900 worth AUD$4000. Either way I still like the violin. I use Pirastro TOnicas on it at the moment, but am thinking of switching to Infeld Blue or possibly a new string on the market that my teacher has reccommended.

July 5, 2004 at 09:00 AM · Does anyone know how to get rid of the cockroach smell on my violin? I mean, geez its disgusting. What a pity because its such a nice violin. I don't suppose I can spray some perfume or cologne on it can I? Advice anyone? - AARON

July 5, 2004 at 11:15 PM · i'll bet a luthier could deal with that

July 7, 2004 at 06:25 AM · Sorry to change the subject- but Aaron, what exactly is a cockroach smell? Do you mean bugspray smell? Someone mentioned putting rice in their violin. D'ya think that would help, or just attract roaches???~AB

July 7, 2004 at 03:35 PM · Well, Avelyn, one thing about my violin is that, if one enters the room where I play the violin, the immediate response is "Eewwww.... What the heck is that awful smell?"

Apparently I think that my violin has been sitting in the previous owners' cockroach infested closet for many decades and only recently has it seen the sun.

The smell is still there, not as much as when I first saw (or rather smelled) it. But the smell is difficult to go off. I was thinking of spraying some perfume or cologne on the violin but but i'll bet Buri or Owen (and the rest of the violinist dot com people) would probably roast me alive for spoiling the varnish and abusing a prefectly good violin.

So any ideas how to remove the smell?

AARON

July 7, 2004 at 02:20 PM · Last time I saw/smelled a violin like that it had been inside a coffin for something like a hundred years.

Peter

July 7, 2004 at 03:15 PM · Really? A guy died and had his violin buried with him inside the coffin? What a waste. I wouldn't do that when I die. A violin would last many lifetimes and given some care would actually sound better. I'd leave it to the next generation to take good care of it.

Coming back to the smell thing, I dunno if it might be a good idea to leave it outside in the sun (or in the shade) to air it? Whaddya think Pete? AARON

July 7, 2004 at 05:26 PM · Don't leave it in the sun!

Leave it out to air out and take it to a luthier.

You can also get a big box, enough to fit the violin and a box or two of baking soda and leave the violin there every night in the closed box with the baking soda.

The same baking soda boxes used to put inside refrigerators to remove smells!

The dead mans violin! That was a few years ago in a small village (my grandparents village) in the country side of Portugal, an old coffin in a mousuleum broke apart, and I was there on vacation at the time and the family beged for me to take a look at it. It smelled, but not to bad, remember it was there for a long time, the body was all dryed up like leather. The violin was a German violin, the tag rotted away, but the instrument could have been repaired. The family re-buried it with mans remains. He was an old school music teacher. What an experience that was.

Now, many people in the old times where buried with their instruments, it was normal to see that. I knew at least 2 recent people who took their beloved intruments to the grave.

Where do you think some of the missing Strads are??

Regards,

Peter

July 8, 2004 at 12:25 AM · Yeah you have a point about the missing Strads, not to mention the Guarneris and magginis. I still think that even if one is greatly attached the the instrument, it is a selfish act to had it buried together.

I mean just imagine if Leornardo da Vinci loves his paintings so much and had it buried with him together, today we wouldn't have the Mona Lisa hanging in the Paris Museum. In fact we probably wouldn't know who this da Vinci guy is.

If I were an old music teacher, I'd write a will and leave my Strads, Klozes and what have you to my most promising students (or even my children) for them to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of violin playing. That way my legacy will stay alive rather than having the violin rot together with the body, a meaningless act. After all one can't take it with you in the afterlife. You are born naked, and go naked, that's a fact of life no one can deny.

Good point about not leaving the violin out in the sun. I'll take your advice and see if it works. Might take some time though. Thanks Peter.

AARON

May 1, 2012 at 03:38 AM · I have a Josef Klotz violin. I had to have the sound post replaced about a year ago and the luthier said it was worth about $2000. Not bad considering I traded for some home repair work worth around $150 over 10 years ago. The gentleman I traded with was 80+ years old and said his grandfather brought here from Russia. When I received it the nut was missing and the back had an open crack. I think it cost me $1000 to have it repaired and I opted for a new tailpiece and set of pegs and had it strung with perlon strings.

May 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM · I'll give you £50 for it ... (OR $50 whichever is easiest).

August 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM · Regarding Odor of Violin - Try placing it in a conditioned room in your home with relatively low moisture in the area. Use a dehumidifier and close the door and leave for a few hours daily. After a few days, see if this process has helped. Then, try placing coffee grounds in an open container inside of a box with the instrument and close. Check back after a few days and replenish with new coffee as needed. If this does not work, or you don't like the smell of coffee, then go to the pet store and pick up a box of the fish mesh-filled carbon filter bags - Pet smart has great ones like Tetra Whisper Carbon Filters for about $15.99 or AquaClear BioMax Filter Insert for $8.99 - these are charcoal filters, and you need to stick one of these in the closed space with your instrument for 48 hours, and change out the filter every 48 hours until the smell is gone. This will work better than baking soda. Remember to use a new box for this each time, if you can, and make sure the box is well sealed using tape on edges and openings - a set of 6 of that size boxes is like $12 at Staples I think. Throw out the box each time you change the filter. This should work for normal acquired smells, and if it does I suggest keeping a carbon filter in your case (when you get a new case) at least for a while. However, if you have a bacteria in the wood, this carbon filter treatment will not completely alleviate the smell. In this case, you can still try an ozone treatment if the smell persists - and the only reason I can think it would would be because of a bacteria - in which case you would need to find a place that has an ozone booth (moving companies and disaster recovery companies often have these) and pay to have it put in there. Before you do any of these things, contact a professional luthier to make sure there is no risk to your instrument, there should not be, but you must contact a professional in person with the violin for evaluation to be sure. DON'T BE CHEAP - REPLACE YOUR CASE after treating. Lots of times the smell or cause for the smell/medium for growth of bacteria or access to air allowing it is coming from a poorly made or maintained case. Never put anything on your wood, or spray something in your case that could come into contact with your violin or varnish - contact a professional luthier.

August 2, 2012 at 11:57 PM · Pay a visit to a reputable luthier and let him inspect the violin thoroughly and look for woodworm larvae or any other traces of organic stuff in the corners, or close to bass bar. Some violins have not been protected from woodworms and it takes 4 years for bug to eat their way and leave. Mind you that sometimes only an x-ray can tell if the worm is inside!

I have got and old Bohemian violin from 1825 or so that was a victim of that kind of infestation. Still sounds great despite all those scars!

Original Klotz can be pricey, but there are many copies around the world. Get an appraisal. Good luck!

August 3, 2012 at 09:26 PM · I've played one and I believe it was between £10,000 - £15,000 UK pounds. Was very nice :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe