Transfer Audition Repertoire

June 23, 2004 at 06:30 PM ·

Replies (24)

June 23, 2004 at 07:21 PM · i think vieuxtemps 5 is an excellent audition concerto

June 24, 2004 at 02:37 AM · I think the Bruch would be a good one, personally. It's not one usually played for an audition, and I think it would make you stand out (if you play it really well!). Actually, just don't play Mozart. That's really the key.

June 24, 2004 at 05:31 AM · If you can do it. Wieniawski No.1 f-sharp minor.

If you pull it off, you'll blow them away.

June 24, 2004 at 06:00 AM · well, contrary to what other people have said here, i think the wieniawski 1 is not as hard as it seems, especially in the musicality department

June 24, 2004 at 06:08 AM · Greetings,

Owen, I know what you mean. But, I also think there are some pieces that work well in tghe practicve room that somehow bring the player to grief on stage. It is partly a quesion of stamin which should have been addressed in the practice but also one of sheer fearlewsasness from the word go. Wieniawski 1 is one of thosae I think. It is something in the personality that can only be trained up to a point,

Cheers,

Buri

June 24, 2004 at 05:20 PM · hmm, still i would go for something more musically demanding then, they are training musicians remember.

June 24, 2004 at 06:07 PM · What school are you transfering out of?

June 24, 2004 at 07:30 PM · Im with Owen with this one. Not just the musicality aspect of the Viextemps no. 5, but also it has some techniqal passages

June 24, 2004 at 08:08 PM · I'm transferring out of Denver University's Lamont School of Music. I loved my teacher there, but that was about all. Another two years there was looking somewhat unbearable (not that it's a bad school, just not the kind of institution I need right now).

Vieuxtemps is looking like the best choice now too I think, although if there's another concerto that would be more musically and technically impressive (and has the possibility of sounding decent outside of the practice room) I'm willing to learn it. Thanks for your help!

June 24, 2004 at 09:02 PM · Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, the Wieniawski 1 demands musicality, not as much say Vieuxtemps 5, but then again, technically, Wieniawski 1 wins.... Paganini 1 also comes to my mind however. It shows of your technical skills in the thirds, and especially the Cadenza (Sauret). The Adagio is pretty, but not to terribly difficult, leaving you stamina for the third movement. If you can play double-stop harmonics, go for it. Cause this has a lot.

June 24, 2004 at 10:56 PM · ...well, Wieniawski 1 really isn't that much of a competition musically compared to Vieuxtemps 5, in my opinion. However, if you can play it perfectly in a competition environment, then it'll be very impressive.

June 25, 2004 at 02:51 AM · OK, let me say that you all are nuts. To say that she could learn Wieniawsky 1 by the fall as something to play for an audition is insane. As is freakin' Paganini! That's nuts! She needs to play something she's listed here, especially because she's not in school and has to rely on something she's already studied intensely.

So, basically, don't listen to anyone but me, owen, and alex.

June 25, 2004 at 03:00 AM · if i have to pick one from something you've listed, id personally go with bruch scottish fantasy. tons of people do vieuxtemps for auditions i personally think. same with wieniawski's. bruch is technical yet u must have a strong musicality to do it well. when its done well, its amazing. u can really pour your soul into it.

if i can pick one that wasnt listed by you, i would go with something not mentioned yet. i think it would even be a better choice than the scottish fantasy if you have time to learn it. i think that it would be great if you played bruch # 2...its an AMAZING concerto. its rarely played as well. it shows off soooo much.

June 26, 2004 at 08:26 PM · Ooo, I forgot about the Bruch. Want musicality? *Points at the Bruch*

June 26, 2004 at 10:31 PM · thats what i used

June 27, 2004 at 03:54 AM · bruch is gorgeous but a bit overdone.

June 27, 2004 at 09:21 AM · Greetings,

a bit?!!!!

If you played Bruch 2 the whole panel would probably fall at your feet and kiss them.

Cheers,

Buri

June 27, 2004 at 03:29 PM · hahahaha.... so true, so true.

June 27, 2004 at 07:26 PM · bruch 3 is nice too

June 28, 2004 at 02:37 AM · # 3 was alot harder though for me...

June 28, 2004 at 03:37 AM · I can't find bruch no.3 I found no.2 though.

June 28, 2004 at 04:00 AM · i havnt played 3 i admit but it looks harder, and sounds harder, but not too bad. I think i prefer it musically to 2

June 28, 2004 at 05:49 PM · always its not played much i think you'd get points there.

June 28, 2004 at 09:23 PM · For kicks... try to look at the Vieuxtemps 1. Hah, good luck.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe