Thumb Positioning

June 21, 2004 at 05:24 PM · When I get to sixth position, my thumb is now touching the body of the violin and I can't go anywhere anymore. So when playing in 7th position where should my thumb be off the violin or under the violin?

And 8th position and 9th position etc....?

Thank you

Replies (5)

June 21, 2004 at 06:34 PM · Right in the corner where the neck meets the shoulder of the instrument, and it can stay there until you're as high up as you can comfortably get. After that, it's common to bring the thumb up the right side of the neck, so basically from first position the thumb draws a line up the left side of the neck, diagonally across the neck at the heel (fourth/fifth position) and up the right side.

June 21, 2004 at 08:03 PM · If you cannot reach anymore - you should start pulling your hand and thumb around the body of the instrument (on the right). It is different for all people where their hand placement should be when getting into the strat. Luckily for myself - I have large hands and can keep myself in 5th position most of the time when hitting higher notes with only moving my arm around...

Good luck.

June 22, 2004 at 05:03 PM · Thank you I was asking because I didn't know if there was some kind of bad habit involved and I don't want to develope one

June 23, 2004 at 02:38 AM · I think it's fair to say that your thumb should be able to got anywhere that facilitates ease of playing. The worst habit is failure to get the thumb around the neck/palm away from the instrument at fourth/fifth position: if you can do this, you won't go far wrong.

June 23, 2004 at 03:02 AM · greetings,

yoiu are right on target as usual sue. i would add one possibility though. i think jasmine probably has rather small hands so she may actually switch from base of index contact to hand contact rather earlier, perhaps in 3rd position..

cheers.

buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe