Kreisler Variations on a Theme of Corelli

June 19, 2004 at 03:43 PM · I'm busy preparing this piece for a competition, but I can't seem to get into it. Technically, its quite demanding to get all those notes in tune, but what bugs me is the music. I can't seem to make the piece 'my own'. How do I add my own flavour to a piece like this? Help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies (5)

June 20, 2004 at 01:41 AM · i understand the difficulty, i dont have anything deep to say, just remember if you can get the theme to be musically beautiful and phrased well then you hvae it all, really the same phrasing applies to each variation, although you may want to make exceptions in certain parts.

June 20, 2004 at 06:03 PM · Yeah, the second variation is rather difficult to play well. Practice with open strings first and make sure the accent is at the first and the third note. The other 2 are ok...

George

June 20, 2004 at 08:28 PM · This is the hardest version of 'Folia' out there. To get it to a performance level, you will have to start out by taking the piece slow. Listen to the intonation and the right notes. Once you have that down, then worry about musicality. Listen to the Perlman recording of this. He plays it very well.

June 21, 2004 at 01:38 AM · I played this as my first piece at college. I must say that you need to get the technique absolutely solid (and I don't mean everything being perfect because that's not possbile). You have to be absolutely certain about the bowing techniques (colle, martele, detache) and the intonation before you can do things musically with it. That and think about the phrases before you play it.

June 25, 2004 at 09:29 PM · Thanks everyone for the tips. Now, I'll practice it slowly, and try to get all the bowings right. I really appreciate the help.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe