Piano Trio Repertoire For Kids

June 19, 2004 at 12:50 AM · Does anyone have any experience of piano trio stuff for small kids? I'm familiar with some of the pre-Haydn (technique-wise) repertoire, but I would like to get some new ideas.

Replies (8)

June 19, 2004 at 02:50 AM · Greetings,

try rewriting some of Bachs piano music,

Cheers,

Buri

June 19, 2004 at 02:40 PM · There is a nice early Debussy Trio (Op. 1) which, if I remember correctly, is short and simple to play.

By the way, how small would these kids be?

June 22, 2004 at 07:22 PM · Klengel's "Kindertrio" might be worth a look.

June 23, 2004 at 08:27 AM · how about the Bridge miniatures? They are fun and tuneful, although the piano part in some of them is more advanced than the string parts

June 23, 2004 at 11:43 AM · If you're looking for repertoire for a young group you could try the 'Tunes for my Piano Trio' series by Sheila Nelson published by Boosey and Hawkes.There are two books in the series and include short pieces by Beethoven,Brahms and Mozart along with pieces written by Sheila Nelson.

June 24, 2004 at 06:30 AM · Sorry,I forgot to mention the Miniature Trios written by Adam Carse published by Stainer and Bell.The Rondino is especially nice and very popular with the students.

July 3, 2004 at 06:06 AM · Thanks for your suggestions! I just did the Rondino by Carse with my students last year, nice piece. I'm not familiar with the Debussy, I'll definetily get the music. I was actually thinking of 6-8 yr olds, so Nelson's books might be good. If anyone is interested, I can recommend some very nice pianotrio works for younger students by Finnish composers.

July 3, 2004 at 12:06 PM · Jaane,I'd definately be interested but are they available outdide Finland?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe