Open String Harmonics

June 12, 2004 at 11:08 PM · Hello - new to the list and wondered if you could help me? I've just had my violin repaired by a reputable luthier but when I play the A and E strings open I'm getting a harmonic which is a bit unpleasant - also the E string sounds a bit think and squeaky! It doesn't occur on fingered notes or (at least to my ear) on the G & D played open. Is this a set-up fault? Or maybe I just need to get used to my violin again? Is this what people mean when they talk about 'wolf notes'? Any advice would be appreciated. For ref the violin is hand-made in Scotland c1925 and the bow is a fair quality German bow.

Thanks

Replies (1)

June 15, 2004 at 06:56 AM · Greetings,

sorry you have been hanging around for a while on this, I think. Those are not , as far as I know, examples?@of wolf notes.

It is very difficult to say what is causing the bangs and whistles that start occuring in instruments. there are may differnet causes connected to strings core shrinking, loose adjuster (check that one) chin rest touching the tailpiece and so on.

The next level up of problem might be some ungluing which is a very minor problem but needs ot be done by a professional.

Then there is the possibiltiy that something either wan@t done quite right in the set up (unlikely with a reputable luthier) or something has slipped as the result of the adjustnets. Who knows?

The best thing to do is to go back to the luthier and tell him exactly what the probelms are. If he is any good he should be able to put things right,And if he set the isntrument up I also think it should be free but that is just my opinion...

Cheers,

Buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe