Ernst The Last Rose of Summer

June 10, 2004 at 08:31 PM · Does anyone out there know how Ricci performed this piece, especially the fourth variation with the combined harmonics and arpeggios? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies (22)

June 10, 2004 at 05:31 AM · PLEASE DON'T POST ANYTHING LIKE, "THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE...", I HAVE ENOUGH HEADACHES

June 10, 2004 at 05:51 AM · Greetings,

Bernard, why do you have a headache? Can we help?

Cheers,

Buri

June 10, 2004 at 08:34 AM · I believe that he performed it as written.

June 10, 2004 at 11:51 AM · I somehow think he put the mute on, so the harmonics will stand out from the appreggio... not sure...

There are only two words for that - Practice slowly.

June 10, 2004 at 03:58 PM · I assume you are discussing The Last Rose Of The Summer, I actually have a copy of his bowings and fingerings. There are a few thigs that are different, the rest is pretty much like is written. I'll post here the differences:

(this is for the second part of Var. IV, harmonics and arpeggios)

-bar 1, second beat - stay in 2nd pos. all the way with extension on the last note, the D; third beat - divide bowings down for 4 notes and up for the rest of four.

-bar 2, third beat - divide bowings down for 4 notes and up for the rest of four.

-bar 3, first beat - divide bowings down for the first note (including harmonic) and up for the rest of seven.

-bar 4, first beat - divide bowings down for the first note (including harmonic) and up for the rest of seven; second beat, can be done pizz. (the E on D string).

The rest is as written. Good luck.

June 10, 2004 at 08:37 PM · I played the Ernst in a masterclass for Ulf Hoelscher last summer, and he gave me a very helpful tip for that variation. When playing the arpeggios, slightly slow down about 2-3 notes before the melody pizz/harmonic. I don't know if Ricci does this, but it was very helpful for making the melody stand out.

June 10, 2004 at 10:20 PM · Elly forgets to mention that she was only 14 at the time and that she basically learned it over the summer.

Preston

P.S. sorry, Elly...I had to brag for you.

June 11, 2004 at 04:58 AM · Wow Elly!!! Good for you! When is the first recording coming out???

June 11, 2004 at 01:41 PM · I'd like to mention that I'm trying to convince Xiang to release a recording of the 24 Paganini caprices, the "Nel Cor" (which he's already recorded and of which Laurie heard a little bit) and the "Last Rose" (ditto) TOGETHER with scores of all of the pieces containing his fingerings and bowings. Which, in many cases, can save one's bacon in a very, very big way. My double harmonics in "Le Streghe" owe him a huge debt of gratitude for the fingerings...

June 11, 2004 at 04:29 PM · Are you talking about the solopiece Vengerov recorded 10 years ago?

That´s on of the hardest solopieces ever. I could swear that it was a duo.

June 11, 2004 at 11:36 PM · Every time advices...Practice !That^s all ...practice untill you dream thoes harmonycs...before i played this in^a recital , my teacher said to me:every thing wich you feel that is not confortable and 100 procent controled by you , practice it 10 times...if it is 10 times ok , continue , if not , play again 10 tims , and again and again..of course in the begining you should practice progressive with metronome

June 11, 2004 at 11:43 PM · and another thing...

in my opinion...ricci is nice , vengerov is circus , kremer is class and julian sitkovetsky is pefrect...

June 13, 2004 at 06:13 AM · Tudor, who is your teacher? I might know him. He is right, of course.

June 13, 2004 at 11:44 AM · My teacher is mister Florin Croitoru...

June 13, 2004 at 07:34 PM · Really! Please, Tudor, tell Florin to call me after the 21st of June! Tell him there's a project I think he and I could do in the very near future, and that I'd love to tell him about it but have lost his phone numbers.

In him, you have a real gem of a human being and an absolutely fabulous violinist for a fantastic teacher.

June 13, 2004 at 10:13 PM · what a coincidence. It's really interesting how people are in some ways indirectly related to one another, and you don't even know about it.

July 10, 2004 at 08:34 PM · OMG this piece is so hard... but i'm enjoying upping my technical level alot!!! But that Variation I haven't got to yet i'm still at the one with the arpeggiated chords...

July 12, 2004 at 05:42 PM · I was watching a video of Midori playing live at Carnegie Hall, at the age of 19. One of the pieces she played was the Last Rose of Summer....WOW!!! It was by far the best work she played on the video, even though her Beethoven and Mozart sonatas were very nice. The way she did flying staccato on harmonics was PHENOMENAL and it was overall just perfect! And those double harmonics too! Wowwww.

July 12, 2004 at 05:51 PM · where can I get this?

July 12, 2004 at 06:15 PM · No idea. I watched it at a local library. A fairly average library, with a PHENOMENAL classical music section! Imagine a big CD/Video/DVD store with only classical and some jazz and very little pop, that lets you listen to anything you want, or watch it on a TV.

I highly recommend the video. Though I do feel that sometimes Midori's playing doesn't have quite enough of a lush tone, but she's got these tiny little fingers and does well enough as it is! Technically, a totally perfect concert! Really phenomenal!

July 12, 2004 at 06:52 PM · I bet the university music library has it!!! It's good to get the perks because my mom works there...

August 17, 2004 at 12:26 AM · I have that video. It's Midori's Carnegie Hall debut, titled "Midori- Live at Carnegie Hall." (Sony Classical)

Hope that helps.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe