New York City Community Orchestras

June 10, 2004 at 05:49 AM · Hi everyone. I'm looking into community orchestras in Manhattan and found the Greenwich Village Orchestra, New York Symphonic Arts Ensemble and The New York Repertory Orchestra. I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts about them. Thanks so much.

Replies (11)

June 10, 2004 at 01:52 PM · they have good student competitions.

June 10, 2004 at 01:55 PM · I'm not into competitions or things like that- i just want to play. I'm also beyond a student (will be turning 30). Have you played with any of these orchestras?

August 16, 2004 at 08:56 PM · In response to the NYC Community Orchestra thread, I'd like to add that there is one more orchestra you can consider. It is New Amsterdam Symphony Orchestra @ www.nasorch.org. We are currently in the process of updating the website, but we currently have string openings for our 2004-2005 concert season. We are based on the Upper West Side and give four concerts a year at Riverside Church, Symphony Space, and Trinity School. If you have any interest in joining or general inquiries, you can contact us at info@nasorch.org or call our main line at (212) 561-1408.

August 25, 2004 at 08:50 PM · Hi, I play with the New York Symphonic Arts Ensemble. Our next session is starting up next week if you're still interested. There used to be a website, but it's down for some reason (probably so they can update it with the new session information). If you want any more info, let me know and I'll give you contact information, etc.

My email is meaghan2003@yahoo.com. Good luck with your search!

September 2, 2004 at 05:00 AM · You might want to consider auditioning for The Park Avenue Chamber Symphony. PACS is a non-professional orchestra that combines musical and philanthropic activities to support music education in New York City. Our concert schedule in 2004-2005 includes performances at Alice Tully Hall, Carnegie Hall and Avery Fisher Hall. For more information, please visit www.chambersymphony.com. To audition please visit http://www.chambersymphony.com/AuditionRequest.htm.

Our Fall 2004 season begins on September 9, so please respond quickly to join in on the excitement...

Thank you!

December 4, 2004 at 01:25 AM · Here's another NY orchestra: Brooklyn Conservatory Community Orchestra - Several openings in the violin sections.

Other instrumentalists are also welcome. Rehearsals on Tuesday nights 7:30-9:30 at the Brooklyn Conservatory (58

Seventh Ave, Park Slope)

A small fee is required for membership.

For further info: contact Music Director Dorothy Savitch at

718-622-3300 or e-mail at Lewsavitch@verizon.net.

See our website at www.bcco.info

October 22, 2007 at 09:30 PM · if anyone is still looking at this thread, there's a great orchestra that meets 1x a week on the UWS and gives concerts every 1.5 months or so...

Musica Bella Orchestra of NY

www.musicabella.com

November 27, 2007 at 01:52 AM · A somewhat different community orchestra experience can be had with the Brooklyn Repertory Opera (www.bropera.org). To my knowledge, it is the only community opera orchestra in NYC. We recently performed Fidelio (October 2007) and Cosi fan Tutte (June 2007). Upcoming: Cavalleria Rusticana (March 2008) and La Clemenza di Tito (June 2008). We perform and rehearse at the very funky Brooklyn Lyceum (www.brooklynlyceum.com). Stephen Francis Vasta conducts.

We need good violin (and viola) players for Cav in March 2008. If you'd like to join in, please email me at hellgateharmonie@verizon.net. To find out what Hellgate Harmonie is about, visit: www.hellgateharmonie.com.

January 24, 2008 at 02:58 AM · There's also the String Orchestra of Brooklyn (SOB). They meet in Brooklyn Heights.

January 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM · Hi guys, sorry, I know this is an ancient thread by now, but wondering if anyone knows of a community orchestra that meets on Friday nights or weekends (preferably in Manhattan but Brooklyn also works)?? Difficult for me to make Mon-Thu night rehearsals. I'm an amateur violinist. Thanks very much in advance!

February 28, 2013 at 01:37 AM ·

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe