Electric Violin

June 6, 2004 at 10:14 AM · Hello,

Does anybody know if playing electric violin has any negative effects in playing acoustic violin?

Replies (11)

June 6, 2004 at 01:11 PM · I haven't heard of any. Of course, if your "accoustic" practice schedule suffers, then I suppose that would be a negative thing. If your social life suffers and you still keep up your accoustic practicing, then all shall be well:)

-Jennifer

June 6, 2004 at 06:24 PM · I hear that intonation can be a bigger problem on electric, so it might actually help you improve in that area. But I would imagine playing electric a lot would cause your tone to suffer on acoustic since you're not bringing out the sound in the same manner.

June 6, 2004 at 07:37 PM · Hello,

The action on an electric (a Zeta, for example) might make it easier to play tricky stuff, especially fast passages. That can give a false sense of being better than one can really play on an acoustic. So it has been for me, anyway.

June 7, 2004 at 03:44 AM · Electric violins tend to be much more forgiving; things like heel changes are comparatively easy, and it's rare to get scratches and crunches. I'd say practice mainly on your acoustic; use the electric only to get accustomed to higher action if you have it - hence intonation issues.

June 7, 2004 at 03:57 PM · Hmm... the action on my electric is lower than any acoustic I've tried. Is the opposite the general case?

June 7, 2004 at 05:43 PM · Strictly speaking, I see no reason why the action shouldn't be to the same specifications as an acoustic instrument. The action on my instrument was high because it was custom-made and the luthier was experimenting so I could have the action to my preference... such luxury!

June 7, 2004 at 07:55 PM · Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like a preference for high action in your case. I tend to prefer a lower action, perhaps out of laziness.

June 7, 2004 at 08:26 PM · No, it was too high: I played a gig with it and couldn't stay in tune! He dropped the bridge after that. He kept it high initially because obviously you can make it lower but if it's too low you're looking at a new bridge.

June 8, 2004 at 01:45 PM · If cutting is involved in adjusting the bridge height, I'm curious as to the pickup. Sounds like something added. Is the violin body acoustic (suggesting a retrofit) or solid (in which case there are adjustable bridges out there)? If too many questions here, I apologize and please ignore.

June 9, 2004 at 06:07 AM · The pickup lies under the bridge, which is wooden. The body is non-existent: it's basically a fingerboard with strings, a bridge, and a small frame to support chin and shoulder rests. I imagine the bridge was adjusted by sanding.

June 9, 2004 at 05:08 PM · Sue (the 'P' is silent, I take it), thanks for indulging a gearhead.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe