Concertos

June 6, 2004 at 05:12 AM · What are some concertos that are on the same level as the JS Bach Concerto in A minor!!

Replies (14)

June 6, 2004 at 05:30 AM · Hmm, possibly the Haydn G major? and Viotti 23.. I did that around there somewhere... Bach E major isn't much more difficult either.

June 6, 2004 at 01:13 PM · Vivaldi. Maybe you should play some sonatas. There are TONS of sonatas that are at that level. Schubert, for one. Or pieces with piano. The Boy Paganini is a great one, by Mollenhauer. If you are interested, I can send you a complete list of rep. that I have that is around that level of playing that I engage my students in for fun and performance.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

June 6, 2004 at 08:54 PM · vivaldi a minor, the viotti is a little bit of a jump

June 6, 2004 at 10:36 PM · is accolay harder or just about the same?

June 6, 2004 at 11:11 PM · What about the Kreisler in the style of Vivaldi?

June 7, 2004 at 03:40 AM · Disagree about the Viv Am; it would be a backwards step, I think. How about Bach E maj?

June 7, 2004 at 03:55 AM · Greetings,

I concur with Sue. The Vivaldi is quite a big jump backwards. According to the ASTA grading list the two concertos mentioned above (Haydn and Viotti 23 ) are equivalent. They also add the Nardini e minorand Vivaldispring.

The pieces include:

Corelli Sonatas

Handel Sopnatas

Dvorak Sonatina

Elgar Salut d`amour

Kreisler Rondino on atheme of BeethovenMassenet Meditation, and Ten Have aLLGREO bRILLANT.

The Bach Emajor comes later, I think with good reason. It is a harder key (shouldn`t be really) and requires great control of the datche to phrase some rather repetitive material.

The Accolay is ranked considerably lower alongside Reiding , Seitz and Sitt . This level also includes the Vivaldi a minor.

By the way, both Galamian and Oistrakh were fond of the Vivaldi g minor and ther eis an extant Galmian edition. Personally I think it is a much nicer concerto and perhaps it is a little more difficult.

Cheers,

Buri

June 7, 2004 at 08:53 AM · I learned the Viotti 23 immediately after learning the Bach A Minor. The Nardini concerto would also be a good choice (there's a recording of it by Zukermann that I'm rather fond of), as would the Glazunov...after a few years.

June 7, 2004 at 02:10 PM · Ick! I hate Nardini. Vivaldi, Viotti, and Haydn are all much better pieces.

June 7, 2004 at 03:01 PM · What about Mozart's Violin Concerto in D, the Adelaide. Is this about the same level, lower or higher?

June 7, 2004 at 03:28 PM · I just performed The Boy Paganini not too long ago on a recital.

June 7, 2004 at 05:51 PM · The Bach Am (mvmts 1 and 2) and E (1st mvmt) are both routinely used on the AB Grade 8 syllabus, along with the Nardini, Brahms A Sonata, Franck etc. As for the Vivaldi Am, the Dvorak Sonatina and the Kreisler Rondino, I'd rate them at about the same level of difficulty (Grade 6). Salut d'Amour's a tricky fish - I'd say harder than the Dvorak, but a transposed/abridged version is on the current Grade 5 listing. Don't ask!

June 7, 2004 at 08:39 PM · hONESTLY, SINCE YOUR 14 AND ON THAT LEVEL...i THINK YOU SHOULD KKEP MOVING A LITTLE FASTER AND GO TO Viotti 23, then mabye Haydn c major then mozart 3 or 4. Thanks for telling me the pieces youve played though. If u havent, u should definetly finish the whole bach a minor, as the 2nd and 3 mvmts are more challenging musically (2) and surely technically (3). As for pieces Meditation by Massenet seems okay, but is difficult for someone one the bach a minor to play musically. Its beautiful, but very dramatic. The Bee By Francois Shubert is great. Show piece that is not difficult but u probably can play it.For the concerto, the ones ive listed above are ok....but I would really reccomend, just to keep moving, those and DeBeriot no. 7 or 9 and the Rode no.7

Have fun

June 9, 2004 at 08:19 PM · I would really recomend though the Rode no. 7

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe