Violin Varnish

June 2, 2004 at 05:17 AM · What kinds of violin varnish do you all like? How long does it take for varnish to dry and is it possible to restore damaged ones?

Replies (8)

June 2, 2004 at 07:16 AM · Spirit varnish dries quickly, oil can take a long, long time to fully cure (even a year in some cases).Varnish damage can be remedied, treated and touched up as the case may be.

June 2, 2004 at 05:38 PM · Buri tells me that prune varnish combines the best of both worlds, giving a both beautiful-sounding violin and quick-drying varnish. He warns me that it can give the violin a black tint, though ;)

He adds that with prune varnish the sound simply flows out of the violin without constraint :P

June 2, 2004 at 10:45 PM · Spirit varnishes, I feel, have two great advantages over linseed oil. It allows for high concentration of color and is quick-drying. Many argue that it is much easier to manipulate in the application than oil.

This, of course, is not the base for the classical recipe as used by Stradivari and other Baroque Cremonese luthiers. Theirs was derived from linseed oil.

Both recipes have been used in luthiere for centuries, I believe, with satisfactory results.

Varnish certainly affects sound and playability, but it has been my experience that whatever the substance used, one can achieve a great instrument if applied well.

Eric

June 2, 2004 at 10:54 PM · About the restoration of damaged varnish, a good luthier will be able to touch up chips to a degree... but a word of warning: never revarnish your violin as it can devalue the instrument substantially. A decent luthier will know this anyway - this is for any DIY enthusiasts out there.

June 3, 2004 at 01:31 AM · So based on whether the varnish is alcohol or oil,does it make resulting varnish "harder" or "softer"? Came across an incident where a violin that was warped in cloth had left "impressions" on the varnish. Can it be touch up then?

June 3, 2004 at 02:32 AM · Alcohol and oil can both be prepared and applied in a manner which will result in a "hard" or "soft" varnish. In general, oils tend to be softer in their application. However, "hardness" and "chippiness" is often the result of the madder or coloring agent disolved in linseed.

Many old Cremonese instruments have a "chippy" nature to their varnishes (especially those of 'del Gesu'). The base recipes are usually impregnated with bright colors, which became popular in the later Baroque period (especially with the deep Stradivari reds and oranges, hues appealing to the upper social strata at the time).

It sounds, though, that the varnish on the violin you refer to was damaged in some other way. I don't believe this necessarily has to do with the initial varnish or varnish technique of the instrument. It may be, also, the the instrument never fully dried or stabalized, and the result was a varnish which is very vulnerable to the elements or to potential damage. Have a luthier you know and respect (preferably one known for his varnishing technique) look it over. Something may be done to even it out.

Eric

November 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM ·

Don't wear a coat. Play in the nude!!

November 21, 2010 at 01:49 AM ·

I prefer spar varnish myself, because I'm Popeye the Sailor Man (toot toot)!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe