Help! Pronounce Adele

November 26, 2004 at 04:51 AM · I am playing a recording of Tabula Rasa on a classical radio show tomorrow morning and I don't know how to pronounce "Adele" Anthony, the name of the violinist playing with Gil Shaham. If anyone knows, reply quickly and I will be forever in your debt (and so will she). I hate announcers who mess up composers' and performers' names but I don't want to say "Ms. Anthony".

Thank you, thank you.

Replies (7)

November 26, 2004 at 05:08 AM · I know a few Adeles and usually hear it pronounced, "A dell" with the emphasis on the last syllable, and "dell" rhyming with "bell", "a" being a short "a" as in "cat".

November 26, 2004 at 10:13 AM · Aren't they married?

November 26, 2004 at 10:40 AM · Correct. They are. And Inge's pronunciation is correct.

November 26, 2004 at 04:29 PM · Hey! This is pretty funny. I posted this message a year ago.

Why did it pop up again this year?

Anyway the show went well and I never had to say Adele. I left it out as I remember.

November 26, 2004 at 05:57 PM · That is pretty bizarre, Michael. Did your message appear last year, and did you get an answer then? This may go a long way in explaining the mysterious black hole that has been swallowing some messages. There was a query not long ago to that effect by someone.

November 28, 2004 at 01:04 PM · Yes, I'm pretty sure it did appear and the show was within a day or so of my message. I frankly don't remember ever getting a reply but I might have.

November 28, 2004 at 02:06 PM · Could this explain the fact that some of the discussions I tried to post recently did not appear on the discussion list?

One of them was on Shoulder Rests falling while playing and the other was about the Girl with Flaxen Hair trnascription for violin in case you thought I posted inappropriate messages :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe