Piano and Violin Duet Pieces?

May 16, 2004 at 05:01 AM · hey i've planned with a friend to play a violin and piano duet, me on the violin. im wondering if yall havee any good suggestions for selection of pieces. im currently on book 9 suzuki if that helps u with my "skill level"... and the pianist, shes amazing, she can play anything =P

Replies (12)

May 16, 2004 at 08:48 AM · I have no idea what pieces are in book nine, so I don't know if this is a bit over/under your head, but what the heck. I'm having a blast learning Danse Macabre by Saint-Saens. It would typically be orchestra-accompanied, but I found an arrangement for piano which ends up being more like a duet with the violin. Instead of being a bunch of oom-pa-pas, the piano carries a large part of the melody at times while the violin accompanies. It has a couple of arpeggios and chromatic runs for showing off. I've played the piano part as well, and it's fun.

May 16, 2004 at 01:33 PM · If you like modern music, you can try Theme and Variations by Messiaen, Duo Concertante by Stravinsky, or a good chunk of the Kreisler pieces. For your level, I'd suggest the Spanish Dance or Tambourin Chinois. And how about Sarasate's Malaguena?

But if your friend is very good at the piano, why not try a sonata? These other pieces, aside from the modern ones, don't have interesting piano parts. You can also do a Beethoven or Dvorak Romance...the possibilities are endless.

K

May 16, 2004 at 03:07 PM · You have quite a large array of music to choose from. I have no Idea what your level is as a violinist because I have never seen any suzuki book nine pieces, but there are certainly huges amounts of violin and piano literature that emphasizes both instruments as "the soloist." I actually think that Mendellsohn wrote a concerto for Piano and Violin (that, along with his early violin concerto in D, are sort of Dwarfed by his ultra-famous e minor concerto. Still nice concertos, though). In the romantic period, the violin sonatas of schubert and brahms (I think) were entitled "sonata for piano and violin," implying that the piano part in the sonata is much more than just an accompaniament to the violin. Also, I would check out the bach violin sonatas (I don't know how many he wrote). The one that I have heard has extensive use of counterpoint (it's bach, afterall) and the fugal writing in the piano certainly isn't second to the violin. These sonatas are really beautiful, but I think that they are again overshadowed by his concertos and unaccompanied works. You should probably aim to play something that isn't heard often, I think that we to often emphasize the same concertos and sonatas, and things can really get monotonous after awhile (cough cough cough**Kol Nidrei cough cough cough** Shostakovich's eighth string qaurtet...***Cough cough cough** vivaldi's four seasons.)

May 16, 2004 at 04:35 PM · I like to Stravinsky and Saint-Saens suggestions! There are also some really great arrangements from the Firebird Suite by Stravinsky for piano and violin. If you want really sentimental I'd suggest Saint-Saens' Tryptique. Really great piece! The possibilities are endless. Dvorak Romance is a great piece! I loved playing it and performing it, both with piano and orchestra. A couple of Sonatas I really love that are quite equally shared in interest and difficulty between violin and piano are the Ravel Sonata (not the opus posthmous) the Debussy Sonata, and Greig Sonata. Also if you are both in for a real challenge Schubert's Rondos, Sonata or Fantasia are definetly up their on the difficulty scale.

May 16, 2004 at 06:34 PM · The Stravinsky idea is an excellent one- his transcriptions of Pulcinella, The Russian Dance from Petrushka, The Firebird and bits from his other large works (like Apollon Musagete and The Fairy's Kiss) are all superb and highly enterraining. The Duo Concertant is brilliant and the Divertimento is stunning. Also look out for the tango and pastorale (I think these are from the Soldier's Tale?). Bartok's Rumanian Folk Dances are lots of fun and not too fearsome, and Webern wrote a work for violin and piano which would certainly be unusual.

May 16, 2004 at 09:10 PM · btw...suzuki book nine is just once piece, mozart concerto 5 in a major

May 16, 2004 at 09:48 PM · I don't know, then, the tricky stuff in Danse Macabre might be a bit daunting. It doesn't hurt to try, though. As for the Rumanian Folk Dances by Bartok, they are a treat for the pianist because it is the piano that really puts color in the pieces with unexpected, non-traditional chords that Bartok was so good at creating. The violin part, ah... I like it.

May 16, 2004 at 10:15 PM · I second Emily's idea. It would be nice to do something different like Bartok after all the Suzuki. I'll add that it does actually feel *good* to play the Rumanian Folk Dances. :)

May 19, 2004 at 01:33 AM · maybe a handel sonata or kriesler liebesleid

May 19, 2004 at 01:51 AM · Beethoven Sonatas

June 20, 2004 at 01:00 AM · Try the Cesar Franck Violin sonata, it's for solo violin, but the piano part is very difficult, but fun.

June 20, 2004 at 01:57 AM · try any of these. i learned some of them when i was working on the mozart amaj concerto. the rest are from the royal conservatory of music 1999 syllabus.

bach: bwv1007-1012 sonatas (find a cellist to play along with the keyboard's left hand for a real treat)

barber: canzone

bartok: sonatina

beethoven: romances

beethoven: sonatas in dmaj or amaj

biber: beatification of the virgin/mystery sonata no15, (with the famous passicaglia)

brahms: sonatensatz in cmin

corelli: op5 sonatas, esp. no1 in dmaj, no3 in cmaj, or no12 in dmin (la folia)

dvorak: (arr kreisler) slavonic dances

handel: any sonata you can find, they're all great

hindemith: sonata in ebmaj

kreisler: preludium and allegro

leclair: sonata in dmaj op9

moszkowski: spanish dances no1, no5

mozart: rondo in cmaj K373

mozart: sonatas (in cmaj K296, in fmaj K374)

rachmaninoff: vocalise no14

sarasate: malaguena

schubert: ave maria

tartini: didone abbadonata

tchaikovsky: melodie op42 no3

vaughan williams: the lark ascending

vivaldi: sonata in dmaj

wieniawski: legende

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe