Midori at USC

May 12, 2004 at 04:59 PM · A "Quick Take" in Tuesday's (5/11) Los Angeles Times reports: "Celebrated violinist Midori Goto has joined the faculty of USC's Thornton School of Music in the Jascha Heifetz Chair in Music, the university announced Monday. As part of her teaching responsibilities, the 32-year-old Midori, who made her professional debut with the New York Philharmonic at age 11, will form two new student quartets in which she will play as an equal member." Midori said, "I choose to perform with students because it lends a new perspective to learning, as well as to teaching ... In this setting, both teacher and students are involved and immersed in the 'assignment,' and we can all share and hear ideas as a group."

Replies (5)

May 13, 2004 at 08:42 AM · Sounds great!She is a wonderful musician, and has perfect violinistic habits.Much as I adore Nigel K's Walton on vln & vla, imagine him bestowing his trademark delayed vibrato upon a new generation -yikes!

May 14, 2004 at 12:01 AM · Greetings,

Thomas, I think Midori is wonderful and one of the most highly underrated violnists around. A very deep musician. However, I would respectfully suggest her violnistic habits, in terms of efficient body use are bloody awful,

Cheers,

Buri

May 14, 2004 at 01:41 AM ·

May 14, 2004 at 07:27 AM · I'd like to hear the story about Chung falling on her butt, if you'd be so kind. :)

May 14, 2004 at 10:21 AM · Greetings,

it was mentioned in the Srad review a few months back.

While playing the Brahms cocnerto she tripped and fell over into the second violin section. Fortunately no damage was done to people or instrument. The reviewer was not overly impressed with the performance either before or after the acrobatics

Cheers,

Buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe