Next Concerto

May 8, 2004 at 10:11 PM · i really dont know what to play next.my teacher said that i can choose between bruch all 3.movements, saint saens, concerto n.3, 1.movement or lalo-symphonie espagnole also the 1.movement.its hard to me to say what i will play because i like all 3 concertos.what do you say? i allready played bach-concerto in e-major, beriot, concerto n.9 and mozart concerto n.5.thanks for your advises.

bye

Replies (23)

May 8, 2004 at 10:22 PM · Your best bet for a next concerto would be either be the Saint-Saens or you might enjoy the Vieuxtemps 5, which is a wonderful concerto to know

May 9, 2004 at 12:33 AM · i've done all three, and my favorite to play was the saint-saens. if you're planning to do it in an audition situation, i think it is the best because it is not done as often as the other two, and its always good to play something a little different, but at the same time its still pretty standard. you might want to consider mendelssohn too.

May 9, 2004 at 12:45 AM · hi. i would go with bruch if i were you. its a nice piece and really important to have in ur repertoire. its good to learn a concerto in its entirety and i think that you would get more out of doing all of bruch than 1 mvt of lalo or saint-saens. also, regarding vieuxtemps #5, i would learn it after bruch. you'll be much more technically and musically prepared. bruch is good and in my opinion (this is just me) its harder than lalo and slightly harder than saint saens #3

May 9, 2004 at 01:45 AM · You could try doing the Viotti 22 it's really fun and technically challenging. I don't know about the Vieuxtemps no.5 no,4 maybe... Or even no.2 is a good starter, or so I heard, My friend compares it to bruch no.1 I don't know about that.

May 9, 2004 at 03:34 AM · At least in my opinion, Vieuxtemps is a big jump technically from Bruch. I find that the hardest technical spots in Bruch are the runs, which are very patterned, so it is not always too much of a problem. As for the Saent-Saens (don't know spelling), I really don't like the concerto, don't know why, but just my opinion :)

Lalo is great, but I think Bruch would be more beneficial to know than the others. Wait on Vieuxtemps until after you do one of these.

May 9, 2004 at 04:03 AM · I also vote for the Mendelssohn Op. 64.

May 9, 2004 at 09:24 AM · Greetings,

I would go for the Bruch personally. The reason I tenatively offer is that it would make bigger demands on sound production while not hassling you too much from a left hand perspective.

Cheers,

Buri

May 9, 2004 at 03:16 PM · I'm not a fan of the idea of learning only one movement of a concerto.

That said, it could be a good idea to work on something like the St.-Saens now that you have gone through the intellectual and right arm hurdles of Mozart 5. Though the S-S 3 is often associated with pieces like Lalo, Vieuxtemps, etc., it is definitely more serious and of higher quality, musically speaking. It has the disadvantage of being very akward to play, though-- if you have any tension problems, either stay away from S-S or approach it as a challenge to help get rid of those problems.

May 9, 2004 at 06:32 PM · the first movement of bruch is mainly right hand like buri said, one of those things thats not to hard to do decently but really hard to do well.

May 9, 2004 at 08:41 PM · I would go for Bruch no.1, it is harder than Saint- Saens and Lalo, in that order. Bruch no.1 is also a very good technique booster to other concertos, especially Wieniawski no.2, Spohr no.8 possibly and later on Veixtemps no.2,5, Paganini no.1

May 10, 2004 at 12:19 AM · Personally, I think Mendelssohn is definitely the next best concerto for you to perform. It is a fine transition from the Classical period to the Romantic style. It will also build up your technique quite well for the bruch concerto and other repetoire later on. As for Vieuxtemps, I would hold off on those until you are comfortable with the Mendelssohn. Good LUck!

May 10, 2004 at 12:46 AM · I vote for Lalo, because looking at the repetoire you've played, I think you need to play something with that gypsy craziness and something that allows you to do many of those "old-fashioned" slides without raising too many eyebrows. However, learning just the 1st movement of that would be a shame.

May 10, 2004 at 06:58 AM · why only the first movement?

May 10, 2004 at 05:21 PM · Bruch would be best.

May 10, 2004 at 07:12 PM · I agree... what's the point of only doing the first movement? even though the first movements of the saint-saens and lalo are both great, why stop there? if you are going to be able to do all three movements of bruch then go for that one.

July 8, 2004 at 07:53 PM · I would go with the Lalo, as it is pretty challenging and fun at the same time. You'll enjoy it!

July 9, 2004 at 09:58 AM · the bruch is pretty much a given in any repertoire so you may as well do it sooner or later. it's a good concerto to use as a basis for harder works later on too. don't go mozart...

July 9, 2004 at 06:55 PM · I completed the Bruch, and have since been working on the first movement of the Saint-Saens #3. for me, personally, the Saint-Saens is more of a challenge than the Bruch was. It's such a fun piece, though- I think it's a GREAT concerto, and isn't quite so overdone as some others. I'm really looking forward to starting in on the 2nd and 3rd movements. There is such variety in the piece, it always seems fresh and interesting to me. However, I'd recommend playing bruch or mendelssohn before saint-saens.

July 9, 2004 at 08:11 PM · the third movement is very fun

July 11, 2004 at 07:19 PM · Wieniawski 2 is in the ballpark. It's my second favorite next to Wieniawski 1.

July 12, 2004 at 07:14 PM · hmm, wieniawski 2 is probably a step up from those mentioned, maybe not the lalo, wieniawski 1 is definetley a jump

July 13, 2004 at 09:03 PM · Hah, yes, Wieniawski 1 is a toughie...I have yet to formally do the Mendelssohn or Bruch, yet I'm working on the Wieniawski 2, and I've done parts of Paganini 1. Oh well.

July 13, 2004 at 09:10 PM · i just finished the bruch, as is now learning both the mendelssohn and mozart n5. i suggest u either play the bruch, the 1st movement is pretty fun to play :| GL on ur choice

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe