All They Want Are Fiddle Tunes

May 4, 2004 at 05:20 AM · Do you ever run across this scenario? I am currently trying to improve my performance of the preludio to Bach's third Partita by playing it for smaller crowds, since I get horrible performance anxiety. I play my piece, and then one of my listening friends asks me if I will play a fiddle tune: "Do you know 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia'?" I groan in response.

I have played fiddle tunes for years for recreation, and have been working hard to achieve more on the violin, yet the only thing my audiences seem to want to hear is fiddle tunes.

Replies (5)

May 4, 2004 at 06:58 AM · Living in Arizona I experience the same thing! The only thing I do is try to combine a fiddle tune with a classical one, usually Bach. You can make your own arrangement and before playing it, say with a smile "This is fiddling and this is Classical. I can play both well but I am trained in Classical." And just leave it at that. Your audience will appreciate it and take it well. Hopefully!

May 6, 2004 at 08:32 PM · We should switch places. I have the opposite happening here. Play some old timey but they scream for Bach. I say NO! and play some celtic.

Classically trained but getting down to my mountain roots these days :) yee haw!

May 9, 2004 at 02:08 AM · I find my family really prefers the fiddle tunes too. "Whip out the old fiddle and play sumptin wilya?" Mostly it's because they recognize the songs and sing along, if they wish, too. I am classically trained and only play them for my family.

May 10, 2004 at 07:59 PM · I've gone from a polite,"keep at it" to an enthusiastic "did you bring 'it' with you?" I feel fortunate to be asked & able to play at all. For the short hundred that i know there are thousands that i don't. I politely shake my head and say, "no, don't know that one." What they don't know is there are some i won't play on principle. But i keep that to myself. This is how you can direct or steer your public preformances.

May 10, 2004 at 09:29 PM · I refuse to ever learn "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" or "Orange Blossom Special." I suppose my reason is simply due to stubbornness. I know a lot of cool fun fiddle tunes, though.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe