To Rent or Buy?

May 3, 2004 at 04:37 AM · What are your thoughts regarding renting or buying an instrument if you were a beginner? I'm not sure what to do, I'm leaning towards buying. I prefer to be playing an instrument that is mine, that I've invested in and I tend to think I can buy a violin which is superior in quality compared to what I'd be renting.

What do you think?

Replies (4)

May 3, 2004 at 07:05 AM · How sure are you that this is what you want to play? If you will be committed to it in the future, there is no reason to throw away money renting.

May 3, 2004 at 12:30 PM · Emily, I'm pretty commited to playing, it's something I've wanted to do for a very long time and only recently decided it was time to take it up. I've taken the piano for many years and I understand the determination and focus it takes in order to accomplish playing an instrument. So, like I said, I'd rather buy. It's my parents who are wanting me to rent.

May 3, 2004 at 10:50 PM · Bought my first violin this morning :D I'm SO thrilled! I just love it. I can't wait to actually be able to play something on it. I purchased a beginner violin (Strad 4)

Oh so happy!

May 3, 2004 at 11:18 PM · congratulations, you should have a rewarding journey in front of you.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe