Learning Repertoire for Recitals

May 2, 2004 at 12:44 AM · Salutations,

I was just wondering how you folks go about learning pieces for a recital. Do you work on all of them at the same time; or do you take the harder pieces (and sections within pieces) and work them up to a degree of comfort, then incorporate the less challenging material? Or do you follow a more linear process? Or do you not work on pieces for a recital because you learned them all ages ago and you find the idea of "learning" pieces for a recital laughable?

I'm aiming for the fall, and I haven't prepared for something like this in a few years. Moreover in the past, I'm not sure I went about preparing in the smartest of ways... Some input would be welcomed gladly.

K

Replies (1)

August 30, 2004 at 08:52 PM · This is just my own personal view, but usually i will play the piece through with the sheet music at a relaxed pace, usually slowing the faster bits down, and generally try to get the notes under my fingers.If there are difficult passages then i play them slowly, repeatedly, until i can get them right every time. I try to memorise the music as fast as possible also, I find once a piece is memorised it feels a lot more natural to play. If im preparing for a recital i will tend to work on 2-3 pieces a day (doing around 3 hours practice), and when one of them is up to a good standard then move on to another piece. and so eventually you might be playing 5 or more pieces a day, all to a high standard hopefully. I hope this helps, good luck for your recital

John

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe