Looking For Excellent Teachers in Chicago!

May 2, 2004 at 12:43 AM · Hi everyone, I will be attending the University of Chicago next year, and I would like to keep the musical side of my life open to be able to pursue it later in life possibly.

I have had a great education in violin playing since I was 6 years old, and I am in no way giving it up.

Since I will not be attending a conservatory, I am searching for a great teacher that I can click with outside of my university setting, because U of C's music department is purely theoretical and history. However, my goal is to find top caliber teachers that I can meet and play for.

Just as a little background, as I've said, I started at 6, with the Suzuki method. I was with a grad student for awhile and then moved on to study with the concertmaster of the Pacific Northwest Ballet and Northwest Chamber Orchestra (primarily) and the concertmaster of the Seattle Symphony.

I have had chances to play for Erick Friedman, Joseph Silverstein, and I studied briefly with Jan Repko in California, and chamber music with Wendy Sharp from the Yale School of Music. Other teachers I have played for include Sidney Harth, Mark Koenig, and Gwen Thompson.

I am going in the summer to the Bowdoin International Music Festival this summer to study with Mr. Repko again.

Any help or pointers for my Chicago situation would be greatly appreciated!

Replies (9)

May 3, 2004 at 03:31 PM · If you don't mind travelling to the Sherwood Music School at 13th street and Michigan Ave. in Chicago, using the elevated train, then I would recommend Cyrus Forough.

He teaches there only one day per week and would be willing to accomodate your particular situation. He is the very best of violin pedagogues in the Midwest.

Ted Kruzich

May 3, 2004 at 04:01 PM · First, congratulations on your choice of school. I would highly recommend Shmuel Ashkenazi. You won't find many better players or teachers than him. He teaches at Northern Il and at Roosevelt. UChicago funds private music lessons, doesn't it?

good luck!

May 3, 2004 at 04:58 PM · judging by his students, cyrus is an amazing teacher

May 4, 2004 at 09:28 PM · Almita and Roland Vamos, two top-notch violin teachers, (the legendary "Vamoses") are both at Northwestern. Almita Vamos and Dorothy Delay are considered by many to be the best female violin pedagogues of our time.

May 27, 2004 at 02:30 AM · Either Cyrus Forough or Roland and Almita Vamos. A girl I know who is ten studies with the Vamoses, she is incredible, along with all of their other students.

Cyrus Forough has excellent students as well, and Roosevelt would be closer to U of C than traveling all the way to Music Institute in Winettka to study with the Vamoses. Last time I heard they were one hundred an hour.

May 27, 2004 at 09:06 PM · I would strongly recommending Paul Zafer. He is a wonderful teacher. He is the concert master of the chicago sinfonitta and the jofrey ballet. He is a wonderful teacher if you want to improve your technique. He teachers at Wheaton and North Park University.

May 27, 2004 at 10:00 PM · Olga Kaler and Ilya Kaler...i study with them and i dont think ill ever need another teacher

May 27, 2004 at 11:04 PM · Hi Dan - Where do The Kaler teach? How much do they charge per hour? What do you like from their teaching?

I saw from your profile that you live in Buffalo Grove, and I don't live far from that. I might need to find a teacher in the near future, so your information will be helpful. thanks!

May 28, 2004 at 09:17 PM · Ilya Kaler teaches at DePaul

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe