Which DVDs did you love?

April 27, 2004 at 08:52 PM · Dear all,

I've just acquired a DVD player. I've seen, so far, The Art of the Violin, which I loved. Can you recommend other favourite DVDs for string instruments?

Would be interesting to hear your opinions!

Thank you,

Lorenzo

Replies (19)

April 27, 2004 at 09:03 PM · "Art of Henryk Szeryng", "Huberman Festival: Szeryng plays Tchaikovsky"(that might not be the actual name. "Nathan Milstein: Master of Invention", the new Milstein release on EMI, also "David Oistrakh: Artist of the People?", and "From Mao to Mozart".

April 27, 2004 at 09:20 PM · bell telephone hour is amazing...especially Mr. Stern

April 27, 2004 at 10:27 PM · actually emi just released a good amount of dvds with performances by Heifetz, Oistrakh,Milstein,Menuhin,

Christian Ferras,Arthur Grumiaux,and Henryk Szeryng. There is even a bonus on one of the discs with Mischa Elman playing Kreislers Schon Rosmarin, and I believe another piece as well.(Unfortunately this is not Elman at his prime, but still worth seeing and hearing. No violinist ever produced a sound like Elman). VAI just released the art of Joseph Szigeti. He plays Tartini Violin Concerto in D minor, Jeno Hubay's Czardas No. 3, the 1st movement of Beethoven Concerto,and the Prokofiev Sonata No.2 in D Major. Have fun finding these emi archival gems. There are loads of music lessons to be learned from these performances.

April 27, 2004 at 11:13 PM · I'm looking for this particular VHS/DVD in the US. Does anyone know where I can find it?

TCHAIKOVSKY

Violin Concerto/Violinkonzert/Concerto pour violon

SIBELIUS

Violin Concerto/Violinkonzert/Concerto pour violon

Kreisler, Lalo, Schubert, Locatelli, Beethoven

Archival Treasures, Vol.1

David Oistrakh

Vladimir Yampolski, Frieda Bauer

Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra, Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra

Gennady Rozhdestvensky

7243 4 91300 3 6 VHS/PAL

I got this info from the EMI Classics website. I already have the 2nd volume of this set (Archival Treasures), where Oistrakh plays the Brahms Concerto; quite amazing! I purchased it several years ago in Australia.

According to the EMI website, it is only available in PAL/VHS, which means, it may not be distributed in the US. Can anyone confirm this?

April 27, 2004 at 11:50 PM · The Oistrakh Tchaikovsky and Sibelius recordings have been available on video for some years now and should be on sale at many music shops. It's very good indeed!

OK. I own the EMI Leonid Kogan DVD and it is quite excellent. However, I would love EMI to put out more of Kogan, particularly the brilliancy pieces such as Paganini and Sarasate.

The EMI Milstein DVD is also worth owning, and his performance of the Paganini Caprices and the Bach Chaconne are quite outstanding.

I wasn't so taken with the Szeryng DVD. His playing, though very polished, is less dramatic and powerful than Kogan's or Milstein's.

I'm surprised that there isn't one specifically devoted to Heifetz. EMI have one on Heifetz and Piatigorsky together. Surely Heifetz deserves at least one DVD to himself!!

April 28, 2004 at 01:50 AM · If you like the piano, the Evgeny Kissin, The Gift of Music DVD is amazing.

April 28, 2004 at 11:03 AM · "The Oistrakh Tchaikovsky and Sibelius recordings have been available on video for some years now and should be on sale at many music shops. It's very good indeed!"

David,

I went to amazon.com and found that VHS - Used for US$50 - little too expensive for a used tape, IMO.

Unfortunately, this VHS tape is not available in the US, only in PAL countries, ie. Australia, NZ, England, etc. Unless someone can prove me wrong.

April 28, 2004 at 01:18 PM · thanks everyone for your responses..off I go to check them out,cackle cackle :)

April 29, 2004 at 07:52 PM · There is a great new one of Oistrakh and Rostropovich doing the Brahms double concerto, Menuhin and Oistrakh doing the Bach double, and Oistrakh and his son doing the Mozart Symphonie Concertante. Three amazing performances on one DVD!

It's strange to build up collections of vinyls, cassettes, and video cassettes over the years and have them turn obsolete to the cd/dvd revolution. I would love to be able to buy newer recordings on vinyl as well and the option doesn't even exist. Does anyone else think that strings sound better on vinyl than on cd?

April 29, 2004 at 08:40 PM · Not a string or violin DVD, but I really liked the DVD's of Leonard Bernstein's "The Unanswered Question" lectures at Harvard. Really interesting stuff o_O

April 29, 2004 at 09:23 PM · Greetings,

Kazuyuki, yes.

Cheers,

Buri

April 30, 2004 at 01:57 AM · Kazuyuki, yes, but I like them even better on a violin.

April 30, 2004 at 03:32 AM · My favorites are:

1) Sibelius - Violin Concerto /De Falla - Nights in the Gardens of Spain (Maxim Vengerov)

2) Appalachian Journey (Mark O'Connor, Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer)

3) Stephane Grappelli: A Life in the Jazz Century

4) Ann-Sophie Mutter - A Life With Beethoven

5) The Art of Henryk Szeryng

6) Stephane Grappelli: Live in San Francisco 1985

7) Vivaldi - The Four Seasons (Von Karajan, Ann-Sophie Mutter, Berlin Philharmonic)

8) Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto / Piano Concerto No. 1 (Vengerov, Sultanov)

9) Stephane Grappelli in New Orleans

10) Mozart - Sonatas for Violin and Piano (Schneider, Oppitz)

Other favorites only available on VHS:

1) Midori: Live at Carnegie Hall

2) Stern, Perlman & Zukerman Live

3) Mark O'Connor: Caprices 1-6

4) Mendelssohn Violin Concerto & Bach Concerto for Two Violins (Stern, Shlomo Mintz)

5) Vivaldi's Four Seasons (Nigel Kennedy)

6) Heifetz: In Performance

Jean-Luc Ponty has a DVD of a live performance coming out June 1. I'm on the waiting list for that one.

April 30, 2004 at 08:22 AM · Kazuyuki,

I also bought the DVD of Oistrakhs, Menuhin playing Bach, Mozart and Brahm a month ago. It's definitely one of my favourites. I also enjoy Milstein and Kogan DVDs.

April 30, 2004 at 08:42 AM · have a look at Vivaldi's "Seasons", still availabe under www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006L3WT/qid=1083314895/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/302-2633152-5392027

regards, Michael

April 30, 2004 at 10:12 PM · thanks again, all! :)

May 1, 2004 at 05:09 AM · Mattias, i must be psychic because i knew you were going to say that.

May 1, 2004 at 05:37 AM · So I am starting to get predictible?

sniff....

May 1, 2004 at 05:39 PM · its okay mattias, it was still funny.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe