Miss Basics

April 22, 2004 at 01:44 AM · Does anyone know the mysterious violinist pictured in Simon Fischer's Basics? Don't tell me, his niece... Not only is she young and beautiful, but it strikes me she must be a fairly advanced violinist with a technique to die for to assume every posture required of her by King Fischer. Anyway, as a gesture of appreciation and downright jealousy, I decided to start a thread devoted to this young wench with whose features we are all so well acquainted. Little Miss Basics, whoever you are, I salute you!;)

Replies (54)

April 22, 2004 at 01:20 AM · Greetings,

I am hoping for color photos in the new edition.

Plus it would be great if some of the poses could also be done as representations of classic art. For example, she might be demonstrating the Rivardeexercise while her dress and background was `Venus emerging from the Waves,`

Quick, prunes....

Cheers,

Buri

April 22, 2004 at 01:39 AM · Buri, you old perv... anyway, didn't Vanessa-Mae do that back in the 90s? Also a nice homage to Ursula Andress if I remember rightly. But I have to say I'm unimpressed by Little Miss Basics' centrefold in my edition (no.158: finger action).

April 22, 2004 at 11:37 AM · On pg. VII of my edition, in the last line of the acknowledgements, Fischer thanks "Miss Basics" for modelling. Her name is Jennifer King.

April 22, 2004 at 11:39 AM · Greetings,

Stern was advisor to a movie about a violinist and apparently a professional violinst operated the violin and bow while standing behind the actor and the camera angled to avoid showing him/her. Whoever it is must have had very long arms....

This raises some questions about Jennifer that only Jennifer can answer. I hope she is on this list, and if she isn"t that proves she is not a player and the whole thing is a set up.

Cheers,

Buri

April 22, 2004 at 01:57 PM · ...or else it's like Scooby-Doo and when you take off her mask she's really a crusty old man.

April 22, 2004 at 02:08 PM · 'And I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you pesky kids...'

April 22, 2004 at 08:41 PM · Greetings,

gosh, I hope these hot flushes are just flashbacks to childhood brought on by mention of scooby doo...

On the other hand, be compassioante about the plight of Miss Basics.

She is doomed for the rest of her professional life to hearing variations on the same pathetic chat up line "Hey babe, are you basic?"

Plus in orchestra, notonly is she expected to play -everything- flawlessly , but anyone who has the slightest problem will be asking for an exercise to solve it,

Cheers,

Buri

April 23, 2004 at 02:41 AM · she's hot...

wait, how old is she? :-/

April 23, 2004 at 03:23 AM · Greetings,

too smart for you Dave. She doesn`t list swinging through the trees on her resume. Mor elikely she is a prune conissuer (no idea how you spell that),

Cheers,

Grunt,

Buri

April 23, 2004 at 03:41 AM · I've heard that to appease her connoisseur's palate, she enlists (male) violinists to climb the branches of plum trees for early specimens in between flawless practice sessions.

If only I had that luxury...

April 23, 2004 at 03:43 AM · I can climb a mean tree! ^_^

April 23, 2004 at 05:34 AM · Greetings,

according to the publicity blurb, Fischer`s new book on practicing wa scoming out last Autumn. I have seen nothing of it. Do you think the delay is due to Jennifer getting her hair done?

Cheers,

Buri

April 23, 2004 at 11:57 AM · She's probably still trying to unwrap her feet from behind her back after last time.

April 23, 2004 at 03:43 PM · :| too much yoga? Or is it prune ointment making her joints extra felxible>?

April 23, 2004 at 04:18 PM · Extra-virgin pressed. ;)

April 23, 2004 at 04:26 PM · lucky girl :)

April 23, 2004 at 06:10 PM · i certainly learned a lot from this thread.

April 23, 2004 at 06:26 PM · Owen, hero worship is all part of the smorgasbord of life..

April 26, 2004 at 02:13 AM · Sue, it also does matter which hero you worship.

Some of them might be against prune use.

April 26, 2004 at 02:34 AM · Can you even imagine??

April 26, 2004 at 05:07 AM · The Horror!!! We Believers ought to adopt a handshake or code to identify other initiates of the Golden Order of Prune. How can we idolize one who worships a fruit as frivolous as, say, the Kiwi?

April 26, 2004 at 01:36 PM · Dragon fruit is equally sinister.

April 26, 2004 at 02:01 PM · Buri how did you like Stern's playing in the movie you were talking about?, Humoresque staring John Garfield and Joan Crawford. One thing we know for sure it is not Garfield playing that violin in the movie! Out of all the movies with violin playing with non violinist actor's, this movie is very real, garfield looks like he is really playing, all the close ups of just the left hand are Stern's hand. I do have a picture of Stern and Garfield on the set of Humoresque, they are both holding violins, maybe Stern was giving him some pointers!

April 26, 2004 at 07:20 PM · What is a dragon fruit? Why is it sinister?

Has anyone tried a durian fruit? It's evil. Very, very evil. Green and hostile, with harmful spikes... and when you cut it open, it smells like a dustbin. I'm glad it's never been on the front of any of my violin sheet music. It will never inspire me and will never be my hero.

April 26, 2004 at 10:18 PM · mmm...dragon fruit....

April 27, 2004 at 12:04 AM · Greetings,

Rick, I have never seen the movie. I onloy read about it in Stern`s book. Stern says that is not his left hand but rather that of anothe rprofessional violinist.

Cheers,

Buri

April 27, 2004 at 12:59 AM · Here are Stern's exact words. When you see Garfield playing violin in Humoresque, you are actually seeing three people. Garfield would stand with his hands behind his back, and his chin resting on the violin. Behind him a professional musician would hold the violin and move the left hand fingers with another person holding the bow, while my music played on speakers. At those moments, the camera filmed from an angle that would show only John Garfield. But when one sees a shot of hands alone, those are mine. I think it is amazing how they pulled this effect off!!.

April 27, 2004 at 01:49 AM · They did the same with the British film Truly, Madly, Deeply, which stars Alan Rickman as a cellist (well, okay, the ghost of one). However, the cellist body double was one Caroline Someoneorother, which is why the hands-only shots in the opening credits look suspiciously female. Funny that they'd get Rickman to do such a great cello-playing impersonation, then mess up on that... like the bit in The Piano where Holly Hunter's fingers go up the scale while the soundtrack descends...

April 27, 2004 at 03:11 AM · Greetings,

in the James Bond movies with Sean Connery , the body is mine,

Cheers,

Buri

April 27, 2004 at 03:32 AM · Really? That's a coincidence; I was body double for Pussy Galore. Have we met on set?

April 27, 2004 at 03:59 AM · Well, remember the big snake in anaconda?

I keep her as a pet... she's actually really docile and warm.

April 27, 2004 at 04:09 AM · Between body doubles and anacondas and all the multiple entendres involved, I'm almost embarassed to offer something so tame. However, it seems that a friend of a Brit pianist friend of mine was actually the hand double for Geoffrey Rush in "Shine". Which, by the way, was a movie I thoroughly hated.

Don't ask...

April 27, 2004 at 04:13 AM · A body double entendre?

April 27, 2004 at 05:33 AM · Greetings,

I never tried that. Is it safe?

Cheers,

Buri

April 27, 2004 at 08:58 AM · quite safe so long as you warm up before hand

btw but do you remember in master and commander Russel Crowe plays violin? Well I am the number 1 fan of the person that taught him the violin.

Also, on my nights off I am Keanu Reaves Body double, so all those Matrix Movies, that was actually all me. He didn't actually show up on set once

April 27, 2004 at 02:01 PM · I was the stunt double for Princess Vespa's stunt double in Spaceballs. I also played Medusa in Jason and the Argonauts. Most recently, I starred in the Mists of Avalon as a Celtic Lord.

Between all the beard-picking and turning men to stone, it's a wonder I have time for practicing these days...

April 27, 2004 at 05:34 PM · Kismet, you did some awesome stunts in space balls!

Did you ever trip on that beard?

By the way, do snakes require much conditioner or just a quick shampoo and rinse?

April 27, 2004 at 06:23 PM · from miss basics to space balls, what a crazy forum. prune juice must be taken with moderation you know...

April 27, 2004 at 08:31 PM · Once a three-year-old boy I'd been watching pointed to a picture of "Xena, Warrior Princess" doll and told his mom, "That looks just like Laurie!" I was thrilled, though I'm sure they must have fitted him for prescription glasses by now.

April 27, 2004 at 08:45 PM · Wow, I'd be thrilled if I was likened to Xena, too, she's a babe. Ryan, my stunts were so good because of all my years spent capturing flies with chopsticks. The beard was never a problem, I've had it all my life. And as for the snakes, pommade usually does the trick. ;) And, like snake venom, when taken in excess prune juice induces visions, and I indulge in everything between April 27 and May 2: it's Beltane!!!

April 28, 2004 at 12:40 AM · Laurie: In order to live up to that Xena persona you'd have to master that yodel-howl-thing she does which can be hard on the vocal-chords...I can make the sound on my violin (normally against my wishes...).

Kismet, I tend to catch hornets rather than flies; There's more inscentive to get it right the first time!

Funny you should mention Beltane. I'll be playing at a Beltane feast this weekend! Just have to wait for the crowd to consume enough ale not to notice the CD-player in my violin...

April 28, 2004 at 01:10 AM · i'm ignorant, whats beltane??

April 28, 2004 at 01:15 AM · Greetings,

apolgies everyone.

Sue, did you get my last email. I seem to have dropped off the world,

Cheers,

Buri

April 28, 2004 at 01:23 AM · Beltane is a Celtic celebration of the summer solstice and fertility. It's counterpart/opposite is Samhain.

Think of a festival with rejoicing on the scale that we will all have when Buri and Alison finally get their email communications functioning!

April 28, 2004 at 01:53 AM · Hi Buri,

Yes I did; thanks so much for your response and sorry for not replying at the time! My own playing's been on hold for the last week while I do the fastest diploma in the West... but I did try thinking about the weight stuff the way you suggested, and tried out the Basics sounding point exercises. I sound so rubbish at the bridge! But no matter! Blagging an apparent six month case study in three hours takes precedence. If you can draw me a map I'll gladly jump off the world and join you.

April 28, 2004 at 02:18 AM · Ryan, silly boy, summer solstice is Litha: in June. Perhaps you've had too much ale? :) Thanks for the link, I'll check her out...

Beltane the Celtic equivalent of May Day. It's the peak of Spring in its frolicsomeness; a time for love coming together, growing new seeds and new beginnings. So to honor it, I am going to start the violin all over again.

April 28, 2004 at 04:04 AM · Actually, not ale...heat.

Although poor Owen has suffered more than I today...At 94 degrees, I doubt my brain could even retain the information, much less care.

April 28, 2004 at 07:57 PM · Apparently, I look like broccoli. More than two people have said this. Has anyone else been a body-double for broccoli? What does this mean?

April 28, 2004 at 08:02 PM · Nauseous with an Afro? I body-doubled an ugly fruit last week. Not a pretty sight.

April 28, 2004 at 11:17 PM · Ok, speaking of body doubles and film extras..would someone please tell me WHY it is that actors who are clearly not violinists (or any sort of musician) are hired to pretend that they are? I don't mean leading male or female roles, I mean the quartet playing in the background during a wedding scene, etc. Why wouldn't a casting director just hire a real quartet to make it believeable rather than hire extras to learn how to hold a violin and bow WRONG and look ridiculous trying? Is it because the musician's union wages would far exceed what an extra would make working on set? It's always been one of my pet peeves (probably because I'm thinking "I could be doing that!"). Any directors lurking on the board?

November 21, 2010 at 06:02 PM ·

Not necessarily.  BBC costume dramas usually have be-wigged real musicians playing in the band for the ballroom scenes (the MU probably insists!), and even in the more rustic scenes there'll likely be a real musician playing the fiddle or concertina.  I've met one or two of these musicians.

In the film Private Benjamin I'm pretty sure it's the cellist Pierre Fournier playing in the band in the wedding scene at the end.

[I was browsing in old discussions, and had some new info to add to this one] 

August 22, 2012 at 08:39 AM · I only got Basics recently, and also wondered (naturally) about the model posing for the photos. Then I found this old thread. Here's what I found about Jennifer King, apparently she is doing fine, at least she was three years ago:

the following is copied from the Crowley and Horley Observer.

Horsham violinist to play Haywards Heath

Published on Monday 27 April 2009 18:01

HORSHAM violinist Jenny King will be playing the much loved Bruch Violin Concerto No 1 at Clair Hall in Haywards Heath on Saturday, May 16.

She will be accompanied by the Mid Sussex Sinfonia, an established orchestra which gives concerts in and around the Haywards Heath area.

Jenny started to play the violin at the age of 8 and later joined the National Youth Orchestra, playing at many venues, including the Symphony Hall in Birmingham and BBC Promenade Concerts at the Royal Albert Hall.

After A-Levels, Jenny was accepted by the Royal Academy of Music, studying violin with the late Howard Davis and piano with his wife Virginia Black.

While at the Academy Jenny joined the European Union Youth Orchestra, and performed in prestigious concert halls all over Europe and as far afield as Sydney, Beijing and Tokyo.

Simon Fischer was so impressed with her stance and her playing that he used her as his model for the many photographs in his acclaimed books on violin teaching, "Basics" and, later, "Practice", so Jenny will be instantly recognised by many serious students of the violin.

Having achieved a first class degree at the Academy she completed a post graduate year by which time she had gained a great deal of orchestral experience.

She was accepted straight away as a member of the 1st violin section of the BBC Symphony Orchestra, a position she has now held for 10 years.

August 22, 2012 at 03:31 PM · Okay, I checked. According to Simon Fischer, he taught Jenny from age 13-18 at the Junior Music Department (Saturday pre-college) of the Guildhall School. Then she went for her undergraduate studies to the Royal Academy with Howard Davis, and after that went back to Simon at the Guildhall for a year of postgraduate study. It was after that that the photographs were taken.

Shortly after leaving the Guildhall Jenny joined the BBC Symphony orchestra, where she has now been a member of the first violin section for thirteen years.

August 22, 2012 at 05:58 PM · What a sad fate to end up in the first fiddles in the BBC Symphony Orchestra!!! (wink)

Howard Davis was a student at the RAM when I was there and I knew him quite well. He studied with Sid Humphries at the RAM. Very sad that Howard had such an early demise. Good player and a very nice guy.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe