When You Are in Love...

April 19, 2004 at 04:13 AM · does everything sound much much nicer or sweeter when you are in love? Cuz everything sure sound exciting for me right now... Is that true for you guys?

Replies (50)

April 19, 2004 at 04:59 AM · Greetings,

yes. Being in love is about trust. You give everything away. Like Blake said `When i have done, I have not done, for I have more.` In opening yourself and letting another in your let yourself live on the higher spiritual plane that all human beings are capable of but rarely use.

What we do instead is moan about things. As someone once pointed out, if we stopped complaining about things then conversation would disappear and we would actually have to learn how to talk to each other. (I think it was me)

Being in love is simply an overload of affirmation that life is great. We can actually approximate the condition by utilizing positive affirmations regularly, giving thanks for every great day, expressing excitment about each new day first thing in the morning etc.

On the whole, humans have forgotten to take care of their spiritual self which just leaves us with love....

Love and prunes,

Buri

April 19, 2004 at 05:18 AM · Awwwwww......

April 19, 2004 at 05:23 AM · yes it most certainly does, don't listen to the slow movement of the bruch right now, you might explode, critical emotional mass you know.

April 19, 2004 at 05:35 AM · Greetings,

unless it`s that crappy performance by Mr.x....

Cheers,

Buri

April 19, 2004 at 05:36 AM · hahah

April 19, 2004 at 09:38 AM · aaahhh... Buri, I'm really touched! (by your first message I mean, lol)

April 19, 2004 at 09:44 AM · I love being in love. Hmm, that's not to say that I sleep around, but the fact that when you are in love, everything seems better than it really is. For example, in one week I got a speeding fine, a parking infringement, and spent almost all of my money on petrol for the car. Then that night I got a call from my girlfriend, and everything seemed alright :)

Love is Patient and Kind, Love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way, it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

Yours lovingly,

Ben

April 19, 2004 at 09:46 AM · Love made me let go of the fear of failure. In turn, I achieved more than I ever could. Everything becomes more beautiful. You no longer just care about yourself but put someone else ahead of you. Yes, love is wonderful.

April 19, 2004 at 03:21 PM · Love...

reminds me of the poem someone wrote for Buri's rabbit...

you really engrave it in cement for your rabbit buri?While it was still around...

=*( sob.

April 19, 2004 at 06:00 PM · For me, no. But I am glad that you are in love and that all things are better and sweeter. 'Tis a good thing, I believe. I believe love exists. However, my nickname is Ms Spock, so it is good but not entirely logical. Congrats anyway.

May you be very happy (sincerely)

Susannah

April 19, 2004 at 06:23 PM · Yes, it is the most wonderful feeling in the world!!!

When you are in love you feel connected to every thing, and it is a much happier state of existence than not being in love--feeling disparate and unrelated.

I think being in love is our natural state of being. It parallels the state of our heart/mind when we were children, perfectly content with the smallest of things.

As we age/"mature" we begin to separate ourself from the "divine" or whatever you want to call it--in order to feel control over our environment. We are taught to look at things dualistically in order to survive, but many of us get so into this mode of dominance over our environment (for a variety of reasons) that we feel shut out "of love" permanently and cannot rekindle the openness and innocence that are our birthright. Many of us get to the point (it has happened to me) where we think there is no possibility to "plug back in."

I don't see "being in love" as a cheesy romantic thing, it's actually a liberating feeling. Sometimes it takes a person to spark this openness, sometimes a spiritual insight, sometimes just the right factors in the right weather...but in any case, it cannot occur if you think you possess another person/thing/situation. It only occurs when you *let go* and realize that life is just a joyful dance. We have to surrender our need, which is based out of fear, to control and manipulate our surroundings, and become a channel. In this sense we possess everything equally, or possess nothing, depending on your view.

I may just have this perspective because I spend a lot of time leaning against trees and eating granola. ;)

k

April 19, 2004 at 07:53 PM · I totally agree with Kismet (although I don't eat much granola...or prunes!).

The wheather gets me all the time! It's sort of a child-like sense of wanderlust, when the sky seems so open and, well, just beyond description!

I am a pretty analytical person, but there are times, I just let it go (and, I think it is very logical...on a less than scientific level).

It is also important to bare in mind that many of the pieces we slave over and spend our lives analyzing were often written with this same sense of inspiration.

Ah, well, now that rant is over, I can go back to being a cold, insensitive heal.

EDIT: I too have/do experience this with people (well, for the last 11 years, *A* person...And I still get that feeling from her!).

April 19, 2004 at 09:38 PM · icky icky! >_<

cooties!

April 19, 2004 at 11:18 PM · What a refreshing discussion to read after a long day at work! I'm a believer in all that you've mentioned (prunes, et al). I find that love also tends to serve as an appetite suppressant for me which is a nice added bonus at times (I'm one of those cheap salad dates).

April 19, 2004 at 11:55 PM · Greetings,

I think Betrand Russell said it the best:

`To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.`

Cheers,

Buri

April 20, 2004 at 12:29 AM · Rock on!! That was a great quote. To the dissenters...we were not deposited on this planet by robots. Attraction makes the universe tick at the level of hydrogen and of massive celestial bodies and all levels in between. Resistance is futile...but for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, even psychologically. When you reject love you accumulate bitterness.

k

April 20, 2004 at 12:49 AM · "unless it`s that crappy performance by Mr.x...."

excuse me but i am Mr. X, at least thats what hte ladies call me. Sorry for cheapening this thread.

April 20, 2004 at 02:18 AM · Timing is everything Owen!

April 20, 2004 at 09:18 AM · I am amazed at all the different kinds of love there are. Back when I was dating, love was all firecrackers and sensationalism. I lost sleep, couldn't eat, etc. The emotional crashes that resulted from the tragic endings were the deepest times of sorrow in my life, as well. I was so deeply wounded after one horrible relationship that I ran from my emotions (actually, ran all the way to Alaska!) and replaced hurt with anger. This went on a long time. It was also during this time that I completely veered away from music. It was much too sappy and vulnerable, and emotions are deceitful sometimes, so why put stock in them, I thought.

The man I married was never like fireworks to me. It was more like we had always known each other. I knew we'd age together like a good wine, and this is why I picked him. We've been married all of three years now, and this love is a healthy, steadfast kind, like old married couples have. And during these years, I have ventured back into music in search for ways to be expressive and vulnerable again. To love, one must embrace risks. Without love, life is meaningless.

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love" --John

April 20, 2004 at 10:19 AM · Haha, death it is then....

April 20, 2004 at 05:44 PM · did I just kill this thread? o_O

April 20, 2004 at 06:21 PM · To me, love is a juicy rare steak.

April 20, 2004 at 08:46 PM · Greetings,

well I suppose both are jam packed with hormones...

Cheers,

Buri

April 20, 2004 at 10:15 PM · To me, love totally sucks. Maybe because I've had a devastating "experience" of a one-sided love "relationship"... or maybe because I'm still.. sort of quite young. Oh well... man I don't think I ever want to love anybody or anything ever again. Except maybe my violin and my dog. But that's about it for me!!

April 20, 2004 at 10:43 PM · You could do far worse than being in love with a dog and a violin. We've all said the words "Never again!" at one time or another, but having your heart broken (or having to break someone's heart which is no better) is a necessary evil on the journey to finding the one you're meant to be with (assuming there's such thing as "The One", that's a whole other discussion). I'm not aware of any short cuts around that, but hopefully we grow stronger with each experience and learn a little more about ourselves as well as the type of person with whom we eventually want to share our lives.

April 20, 2004 at 11:36 PM · Adept, I assure you that as soon as you decide you're actually perfectly content loving your dog and your violin, some person will come along and mess it all up.

April 20, 2004 at 11:45 PM · hahahahaha

April 20, 2004 at 11:52 PM · Greetings,

and wgat happens when your dog has a new lover?

Cheers,

Buri

April 20, 2004 at 11:58 PM · It won't; dogs are famous for their devotion...unlike men... I have to laugh at this thread but eat my words - after a crap lesson yesterday and a cancelled date today, I was feeling miserable. Then my boyfriend turned up on my doorstep and now everything's wonderful, la la, ain't love great...

April 21, 2004 at 01:14 AM · Yep, 'fraid so. (wasn't it Bryan Ferry who said "Love is the drug"?) :)

April 21, 2004 at 01:25 AM · LOL that might be true Sue. I'm too scared to think of when that'll happen...

Buri - no comment. ;)

April 21, 2004 at 03:54 AM · Dogs may be more loyal than men, but their cousins, wolves, are not. The males of the species commit to mates for the long haul, but they run off rather frequently for spells with other females in the pack. We're not as advanced as we'd like think.

It's a buyer's market for men, so why should they commit when everyone's trying to *wow* them. Why buy the cow if the milk's for free, and I really mean mental and emotional dignity over anything else.

So if you keep your dignity you end up dateless most of the time. So I've chosen to be in love with nature and all things as opposed to one person. The alternative is just not worth the depravity. Occasionally I meet nice men who are not "shopping."

K

April 21, 2004 at 04:56 AM · Greetings,

Kismet, it`s only a buyers market for men if you are the guy with the money, metaphorical or otherwise. Let us not succumb to over generalization (at least not more than twice a day)

Metaphorical prunes,

Buri

April 21, 2004 at 09:18 AM · I have been trying to resist suggesting we merge this thread with the "how about drinking alcohol before performances" one. Unfortunately, temptation has overcome me.

Like... "doesn't everything sound better when you're sozzled? And is it somehow the same as being in love? Is this why everyone is suddenly so attractive to me when I'm drunk?"

April 21, 2004 at 11:39 AM · Greetings,

Cora, the proposed merger is too much of a double entendre,

Cheers,

Buri

April 21, 2004 at 03:17 PM · Don't know what this thread is all about :).

I've never really been in love. I mean, I've thought a young lady is pretty, and I've sought her ;out for conversation, but, as a full time music student, I don't have time for dating or anything else. Plus, somebody said something about maintaining dignity. I don't try to be stuffy, but there's vulgar pursuit, and casual friendly acquaintance. The latter is all I've had - other than that,I'm married to my violin! (I'm 22).

Maybe later. I'm not negativing it, but I'm not pursuing it. If I meet somebody nice, great. But it's not a high priority right now.

I hope this doesn't make me seem too lofty and secluded - I tend to be called reclusive at college.

April 21, 2004 at 03:11 PM · I apologize for my generalizations, they seem to abound when I'm feeling cynical and lazy (and when I'm "single").

I know there are decent men out there, they're just hard to find. I think it's because girls are raised with more guidelines and boundaries, boys are raised to shape their own personalities/egos, encouraged to "stand out" and claim prizes. I see this with my young students. I don't think it's a bizarre way to raise children--it makes sense biologically and culturally. It's just sad that we're taught to think of the sexes as "equal", which is really ignoring the issue altogether.

I find that boys are taught from an early age to collect trophies, and girls are taught to value integrity over material possessions. Maybe this is the problem when it comes to dating. It's also a problem when it comes to violin...my girl students tend to concentrate and be so much more engaged than my boy students. It's interesting.

k

April 21, 2004 at 05:26 PM · Oh, I always thought that was because girls mature earlier than boys.

I think the real problem is that women are in fact surrounded by 'nice' men... but instead we insist on dalliances with the wild firecracker type as identified by Emily earlier, which of course inevitably end in tears. Yes, I'm like that too. No, I don't know why.

About music students who have no time for a bit of the other: Who knows of an orchestra tour on which NOTHING illicit has taken place? Not I...

April 21, 2004 at 06:08 PM · Prunes are really loyal. They always taste the same, they always do the same thing to your digestive system and they are always the same shade of browny- purple, unlike raisins and sultanas, which tend to have considerable variations in shade and tone. I love prunes.

Guys. I would recommend that you try Polish prunes dipped in dark chocolate- simply delightful.

Unromantically yours,

Susannah

April 21, 2004 at 10:47 PM · Buri, you'll be pleased to know that your dream to reach the masses with prunes is finally coming to fruition. Today I found myself annoyed with a co-worker from our headquarter office and during a discussion about this person in a meeting I exclaimed "She needs prunes!" All just nodded and laughed. It is universally understood. :)

On that note I will add that chocolate-covered prunes must be divine.

April 21, 2004 at 11:41 PM · Gretings,

I can die happy,

Cheers,

Buri

April 22, 2004 at 12:07 AM · I'm married to a "nice guy." Highly recommended!

April 22, 2004 at 12:09 AM · Greetings,

Susannah, yesterday I wa sreading Isaac Stern`s bioraphy `A life in music` and I was delighted to discover that his father was a Rusian emigre with a predilection for stewed prunes.

I kid you not!

Cheers,

Buri

April 22, 2004 at 12:37 AM · Buri, I hereby challenge you to compile a recipe book: Prone to Prune, perhaps? Imagine, 300 daily dishes for the retentive violinist.

April 22, 2004 at 01:53 AM · Life is sweeter. I'm married to a nice guy. When we started dating 8 years ago, suddenly everything in life got much, much better and it started to make sense ;)

April 22, 2004 at 02:24 AM · I'm strangely drawn to them in the grocery these days (prunes, not stockboys). I may pick up a few canisters next time for a few people who are well-deserving. Sue, my mother has a fabulous recipe for stewed prunes and raisins with a liqueur of some sort..one recipe down!

April 22, 2004 at 02:38 AM · Lol... Who was it who got in there with the Prune a Day gag? Was it you, Kismet? I must insist that the choccy prunes be assigned to 4 September as that's my birthday.

April 22, 2004 at 02:43 AM · Done! (Buri is awfully quiet..perhaps he's slaving over the stove as we speak)

April 22, 2004 at 02:53 AM · If we produce this cookbook, can I be the mysterious-but-gorgeous girl in the pictures? The Face of Prune (I'm getting a few wrinkles now anyway). I could demonstrate eating a stewed prune in eighth position wearing a chic black dress.

April 22, 2004 at 03:40 AM · I did type a Prune a Day here a few months ago, but I've entirely forgotten wherefore.

I love the idea of a violinist.com cookbook a la Prune. :) Can I be the one basking on a veranda in Santorini with Bono and Johnny Depp lowering prunes into my mouth? And don't forget the martini--I take them with two prunes these days, thank you.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe