I Need Suggestions For Awesome Double Violin Pieces.

April 14, 2004 at 12:49 AM · Before I go off to college, I am going to do a "violin extravaganza" and I would love to play a piece with my teacher and piano. I would love it to be fiery and exciting. Any suggestions?

Replies (21)

April 14, 2004 at 12:52 AM · If it's a "double" violin concerto, you might seek Bach's Concerto for Two Violins in D minor (It's famous, especially the first movement). Also, you might look at Vivaldi. His Concerto for Two Violins in A minor, Op. 3, No. 8. Those are definately firey.

April 14, 2004 at 02:07 AM · or sarasate's navarra, thats pretty good.

April 14, 2004 at 02:08 AM · Haha, that's REALLY hard. I want to play it next year for contest :)

April 14, 2004 at 02:56 AM · yeah its a bit tricky eh?

April 14, 2004 at 03:08 AM · Yes, I like the "bird-chirp" effects, kinda like Vivaldi.

April 14, 2004 at 05:22 AM · You might want to look at Moszkovski's Suite. A beautiful piece! So rarely played.

April 14, 2004 at 05:23 AM · Oh, also some Shostakovich duest for 2 Violins and Piano, I believe there are four or five of them. All gems!

April 14, 2004 at 06:20 AM · Prokofieff Duo sonata if you don't mind letting the piano sit out.

April 14, 2004 at 07:26 AM · Yeah the Shostakovitch Duos are great - but I only know 3 - pubshed by peters - are there more? There not so much fiery as great fun - but also pretty easy! The Prokofiev is much more difficult but also great - though I don't like it is much as the Solo Sonata which I think is superb. There are some wonderful Boccherini Duos, again though without the piano...

April 14, 2004 at 08:16 AM · Sikorski published all 5 of the Shostakovich Pieces for 2 Violins and Piano.

Also, if you don't mind not having the piano, Schinttke 2 violins version of his work "Moz-art" is quite nice and fun. Bartok 44 duos are... well... some of them do have the character. Spohr has some very famous and tricky duets as well, the D major one in particular. Also there are Wieniawski Etudes.

Apart from Bach's D minor double, you can also try his C minor double, which is scored for Violin and Oboe, but sometimes it's played with 2 violins. Also there is the Mozart C major concerto for 2 violins, KV190.

April 14, 2004 at 10:19 PM · The Wieniawski etude-caprices are for the accompanent of a second violin. Challanging but very fun to play.

April 14, 2004 at 10:52 PM · Just played the Navarra and playing it in an upcoming competition. Very fun. Just make sure you and your co-violinist can follow each other! It's one of the most fun pieces I've ever played.

April 15, 2004 at 02:26 AM · If you want a more dramatic baroque piece, go for the Vivaldi Op.3 No.11 in D Minor.

Req

April 15, 2004 at 03:21 AM · some of the wieniawski etudes are not so bad, some are really hard

April 15, 2004 at 04:00 AM · Saltarella, No. 4, is my favorite next to the Andante, No. 2, and Praeludium, No.5.

April 15, 2004 at 09:31 AM · The deBeriot duets are flashy and fun, but there is no piano part.The second violin gets equal time in the sun for the most part; pretty good parity of difficulty.

I saw Jaime Laredo & Leila J. on tv playing a great trio piece( 2 vls. & pno), but didn't catch what it was...sorry.

April 15, 2004 at 03:44 PM · Sarasate's Zortzico.

April 15, 2004 at 04:38 PM · We're performing some music by Astor Piazzolla for 2 with 2 violins and piano next month, they're definitely very flashy. :) But those are not available in print, as a friend of mine arranged them.

April 19, 2004 at 01:02 AM · how difficult is the vivaldi op.3/11 ? I want to work on a double violin piece with my teacher. I've just started working on 3rd position

May 17, 2004 at 10:01 PM · please..not the shotakovich

May 17, 2004 at 10:13 PM · Does it have to be with piano accompanyment? Because I have the most wonderful recording of Prokiev's sonata for two violins and it is absolutley amazing. It's very fiery...to say the least. I'm with alex Belai...I don't hate the duets..but you'd think that they would have a bit more spunk (or shriek...) to them. You should look into the bartok Duets also. My personal favorites are the Arabian Dance and the Adraliana (translyvanian dance). They aren't that difficult when compared to the other piece mention here, but they are certainly very exotic and beautiful.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe