Pinchas Zukerman Masterclasses Online

April 11, 2004 at 04:56 AM · Perhaps many of you know about this already, but I figure I'd inform those who may not. There are several masterclasses of Pinchas Zukerman available free and totally legal off the internet at the websites of the National Arts Center in Ottawa, Canada which Zukerman heads up.

There are two locations which have masterclass videos that I have found so far. There could be more!

http://www.artsalive.ca/en/mus/orchestraontour/2003/webcasts/webcasts.asp

(Real Player Required for these videos)

http://www.nac-cna.ca/en/multimedia/video/index.html

(Quicktime Required for these videos)

Zukerman is a really magnetic and cool guy, as you'll see in these videos. He addresses really fundamental issues of violin playing, particularly bow arm issues, and is an altogether outstanding teacher. I hope you guys like these.

Replies (21)

April 11, 2004 at 10:28 PM · thanks! will check them out definitely

April 11, 2004 at 11:59 PM · Thanks a lot. The videos were really helpful. Zukerman is a genius, and a trully great teacher.

April 12, 2004 at 12:21 AM · he teaches at Manhattan, I'm hoping to get into his class when I audition in two years.

April 12, 2004 at 03:14 AM · Does anyone know how often he gives lessons to his stundets (i.e. once a week, month,...)?

April 12, 2004 at 03:45 AM · Awesome!! This is as good as 5 private lessons, even with a teacher as good as mine! So many things I got out of this! Awesome.

April 12, 2004 at 04:18 AM · Are there any other online things like this? Ones I could access for free?

April 12, 2004 at 04:19 AM · I am so glad I told you all about this. I haven't found much else, but if I do I will definately post it.

April 12, 2004 at 04:20 AM · And yet another question, are the Quicktime ones supposed to have video? If so, I'm not getting it.

April 12, 2004 at 04:44 AM · Hmm. They usually work for me. Maybe it's just an internet or computer issue.

April 12, 2004 at 12:09 PM · Re: videos, there's a new one w/ Vengerov playing Monti's Czardas w/ 3 bass players. This site also has some master classes, but they are not as good as Zukerman's.

http://www.maximvengerov.org/pagevideo.php?id=123

April 12, 2004 at 03:32 PM · Hi, Austin!

Thanks for the website addresses- will check them out now.

;-)

Susannah

April 12, 2004 at 03:56 PM · Very informative links! I don't like hearing Zukerman play, but his advice was really helpful. That Brahms, especially, needed some serious help. Thanks!

April 12, 2004 at 04:25 PM · You're welcome. I found them helpful too. And isn't it funny when Zukerman imitates Galamian?

April 12, 2004 at 04:55 PM · I loved it when he imitated Milstein.

April 12, 2004 at 05:48 PM · Yeah! That was classic.

April 13, 2004 at 04:25 AM · I'm in the Bach one at the moment but the video is not keeping up with the sound. Does anyone know how I fix this? I am using Real Player. It sounds really good and is clear on the sound. Thankyou for telling us about this site, I really appreciate it.

April 13, 2004 at 05:58 AM · In case this helps anyone out there who has just had the same trouble as me, download onto the hard drive and it will fix the problem..... Does anyone know if we can buy these masterclasses on video or DVD? Are there any other good masterclasses we can buy on DVD ?

April 13, 2004 at 10:59 AM · In case anyone tries downloading onto hard drive to fix the problem of the video being too slow for the playing and the speaking, don't try it as it won't work for me as the copyright, which I understand, won't allow it onto hard drive. I have had it explained to me by my better half who knows a bit more about computers. It wouldn't be legal anymore either to download it onto hard drive. Does anyone know whether we can buy all the DVD's of this? Apologies if I have messed up anyone with problems trying to get the video to match the sound. I just wanted to watch it to learn from it, so will have to settle for the sound until I can buy the DVD of it hopefully....maybe we could contact the universities involved to see if we could purchase the DVD's. Any suggestions?

April 13, 2004 at 03:44 PM · I am a technological neophyte, so I probably can't help you much, but from what I understand these videos are streaming, which means they cannot be downloaded onto the hard drive even if copyrighting permitted it. What happens is a small file is downloaded on to your computer and then the video "streams" from the site offering it. Therefore, usually failure to play has something to do with your internet connection. Sorry I can't help much : (

April 14, 2004 at 09:53 AM · Austin thankyou for explaining the problem to me. We might have to upgrade our internet method if we can.

April 14, 2004 at 04:01 PM · sure

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe