Walton Violin Concerto

April 5, 2004 at 05:45 AM · I was simply wondering what peoples thoughts were on this concerto. I've been listening to a recording of the revised version by Menuhin and I like it quite a bit.

Replies (9)

April 5, 2004 at 11:18 AM · I never learned it, but I think it's a really good piece. Rather under-recorded/underplayed - perhaps because it's v. difficult (Heifetz had a hand in the writing I believe) and overshadowed by the viola concerto. Have a look on the Glazunov thread for some other comments. I think there's a Heifetz recording somewhere which would be worth listening to......... I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.........

April 5, 2004 at 07:55 PM · Hey John, the Walton is one of my favorite violin concertos. I agree with Alison that it is quite underplayed and underappreciated--both probably because it is so difficult and the world seems to have issues drawing English composers "into the fold." The piece is amazing and epic in scope. You should really get your hands on this cd: *Nigel Kennedy Walton Violin and Viola Concertos w/Andre Previn and Royal Philharmonic. It is the best version I have heard of the work to date, at once accentuating the piece's virtuosity, sentimental nature, and sheer grandeur. I am in love with this piece and I am glad that you are developing a like for it as well. Let me know what you think of the Kennedy and if you can detect the allusions to Elgar's masterful Violin Concerto.

April 5, 2004 at 07:59 PM · The Walton is a real tour de force. I admit that I have only heard Heifetz play it, but he does it beautifully.

I particularly love the first movement.

January 27, 2011 at 03:58 AM ·

I love Kennedy's recording too! Over the past 20 years I have listened to many many other recordings of the Viola Concerto, and I keep coming back to this one as my very favorite.  I must say this at the risk of offending violists who don't consider him a "real" violist, and think that only performers exclusively dedicated to the viola deserve reference and respect.  He has an enery to his playing that other violists who may be more worried about tone lack.

January 27, 2011 at 04:37 PM ·

I love the Walton concerto like crazy! It's slick and sophisticated, but there is an underlying warmth and earnestness that is so intimate. And when that yearning theme returns in the last movement (as a tribute to the Elgar concerto?), it truly is a magical moment. It's like the storm-clouds have drifted into the distance and the sun is beginning to shine. More people need to know and love this piece.

January 27, 2011 at 05:43 PM ·

Let us not forget his cello concerto, which for me is up there with the Elgar, and if you've heard one too many radio playings of "that" recording of the Elgar Cello Concerto by you-know-who (haven't we all), then the Walton Cello Concerto is a welcome antidote.

January 27, 2011 at 05:55 PM ·

I do like the violin concerto, but I'm not so keen on the viola concerto, which I once played a lot.

The viola concerto never really seems to work, but that may just be me.

January 27, 2011 at 05:56 PM ·

I believe Menuhin was Kennedy's teacher, so there may be some influence or inspiration along the line there, for the Elgar and both Walton concertos.

March 2, 2011 at 04:56 PM ·

As an English female violinist (who loves the Walton Fiddle Concerto) why not try to source Tasmin Little's recording with Andrew Litton & Bournemouth S.O. Tasmin is such a wonderful fiddler and also female Brit!!

www.amazon.co.uk/Walton-Orchestral-Works-William/dp/B00000426G

Enjoy!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe