Question on the Barber Concerto

April 3, 2004 at 06:32 AM · Hi all,

I don't know if this is worthy of a new topic, but I have a question on the first movement of the Barber:

In the part with the string-crossing 16th notes, in the beginning there are always 4 notes on an up-bow (flying) staccato and 4 on a downbow slur, but after 2 (or so) bars there are no more phrasing markings. Are the following figures supposed to continue the phrasing from the first bars (but then there would be a "sim." missing, wouldn't it?), or should they be played straight? I tried to get this answered by listening to my recordings (Shaham and Hahn), but can't decide if they play one bow for each note or do 4 on one bow (with flying staccato).

Thanks in advance for your insights, this may not be a big subject but I'd like to play it the right way.

Chris

Replies (2)

April 5, 2004 at 08:59 AM · It is definitely separate starting from the descending G arpeggio, follow the markings as shown. When this section is repeated later, it is bowed exactly the same as before.

If this is not clear let me know!!

Enjoy the piece, I found the best result was when I was completely relaxed, even at the climaxes, especially the beautiful sound at the beginning.

April 7, 2004 at 01:27 AM · This piece has one of the best developments ever in the 1st movement. Be sure to really do a gradual development and then make the climax a big one.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe