Must-Have Violin CD's

April 3, 2004 at 06:36 AM · what is your top ten list of must have violin CD's? i'm looking to expand my collection and want to know what i should get. obviously, cost is a factor so i'm limiting this to the top ten CD's you'd recommend. thanks!

Replies (100)

April 3, 2004 at 06:57 AM · Only based on what is in my collection at the moment. It is forever expanding...

1. Bach violin concertos - Hilary Hahn

2. Beethoven violin sonatas - Oistrakh and Oborin

3. Bruch violin concertos # 1 and # 3 - James Ehnes

4. Dvorak violin concerto - Sarah Chang

5. Goldmark violin concerto - Sarah Chang

6. Kreisler pieces - James Ehnes

7. Leonid Kogan Plays (Testament)

8. Mendelssohn / Glazunov concertos - Leila Josefowicz

9. Prokofiev violin concertos - Leila Josefowicz

10. Simply Sarah - Sarah Chang

I guess the above are the most valued recordings in my collection, and the ones that tend to get the most play. That said, I love all the recordings in my collection, and I could probably give you a list of 30 that are really great. But those are my firm favorites.

April 3, 2004 at 08:48 AM · Tough one. In no particular order:

Itzhak Perlman - Tchaikovsky & Sibelius Concerti

David Oistrakh - (Most of his CDs would make it into the top ten for me, but anyway...) Lalo Symphonie Espagnole and Prokofiev Concerto no.1 (on Testament)

Leonid Kogan - Brahms & Mendelssohn Concerti (get a Tchaikovsky Concerto recording as well if you can, preferably with Silvestri conducting)

Leonidas Kavakos - Paganini 24 Caprices (his Ysaÿe solo sonatas are also stunning)

Midori - French Violin Sonatas

Jascha Heifetz - Tchaikovsky & Mendelssohn Concerti

Arthur Grumiaux - Bach Sonatas & Partitas

Henryk Szeryng - Bach Sonatas & Partitas

Nathan Milstein - Beethoven & Brahms concerti

Yehudi Menuhin - (Any early-ish recordings) Early Paganini recordings of 1st Concerto etc.

Carl.

April 3, 2004 at 10:19 AM · 1) Menuhin recordings dating pre 1947 (including 1947)

2) Heifetz's Introduction and Rondo Capriciosso

3) Milstein's Bach (Sonatas and Partitas)

4) Oistrakh's 2 bach Violin Concertos

5) Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole with Mr Heifetz

6) Szigeti's Mendelssohn

7) Issac Stern's Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso

8) Oistrakh's Mendelssohn

9) Mutter's Beethoven

10) Old Menuhin's Paganini Violin Concerto no 1 (1962).......just for laughes lol

April 3, 2004 at 11:44 AM · Suzuki book 4 cd.

No, I'm kidding.

April 3, 2004 at 03:58 PM · Lol...

1) Milstein's Bach S&Ps

2) Perlman's Paganini 1/Carmen Fantasy

3) Grumiaux's Bach concerti/double concerti

4) Peter Sheppard's Telemann Fantasies

5) Nigel Kennedy's Bruch

6) Ricci's Last Rose of Summer

7) Vanessa-Mae's The Wet T-shirt Contest

April 3, 2004 at 05:21 PM · I like Emily's answer....

In no particular order...

Stravinsky pieces for violin and piano -Jasper Wood, violin David Riley, piano

Bruch concerto No.2 and Scottish Fantasy - James Ehnes, and the OSM under Mario Bernardi

Ysaye solo sonatas - Takayoshi Wanami (this violinist is blind, and phenomenal!)

A Parisan Salon, sonatas by Martinu, Turina, Poulenc, and shorter pieces by Enescu and Satie - Scott St. John violin, viola Rena Sharon, piano

Bryars violin concerto "Bulls of Bashan" CBC radio orchestra under Owen Underhill - Gwen Hoebig

Sibelius concerto and Bruch Scottish Fantasy - Midori and the Israel Philharmonic under Zubin Mehta

Eckhardt-Gramatte Caprices for solo violin, Kulesha three caprices for solo violin - Jasper Wood

Music of Arvo Part- Tasmin Little

and now two non violin selections...

Tallis' 40 voice motet, Spem in Alium - just an amazing piece, I'm not sure what recording I could reccomend, as I heard a broadcast of the work being performed.

Schumann string quartets - St. Lawrence String Quartet

April 3, 2004 at 06:52 PM · 1) Live at Carnegie Hall; Midori

2) Stravinsky/Berg Concertos; Perlman

3) Shostakovich Concerto #1; Oistrakh

4) Tchaikovsky/Brahms Concertos; Heifetz

5) Barber/Korngold Concertos; Gil Shaham

6) Paganini Caprices; Midori

7) Bach Sonatas for Violin and Harpsichord; Rachel Podger and Trevor Pinnock

8) Bach Sonatas & Partitas; Christian Tetzlaff

9) Virtuoso Vengerov

10) Bruch Scottish Fantasy and Vieuxtemps #5; Heifetz

April 3, 2004 at 10:15 PM · Argh, I'm not done... I forgot Ruth Waterman's Bach Sonatas (accompanied). And Kelsey, thanks for the tip - I've got the really quiet Arvo Part and have been looking for the Tasmin Little one.

April 4, 2004 at 08:41 PM · Does this include jazz and fiddle? If so (in no particular order)

1) Stephane Grappelli/David Grisman - Live

2) Jean-Luc Ponty - Civilized Evil

3) Mark O'Connor - Midnight on the Water

4) Arthur Grimeaux - Bach Partitas and Sonatas

5) Midori - Live at Carnegie Hall (have the video too)

6) Mark O'Connor - American Seasons

7) Stephane Grappelli/Svend Asmussen - Live at Carnegie Hall

8) Michael Rabin - Paganini's 24 Caprices

9) Anne-Sophie Mutter - Beethoven Violin Concerto

10) Lara St. John - Bach Works for Violin Solo (Don't know about the music but I love the cover photo)

April 4, 2004 at 02:14 AM · Very interesting topic.

In no particular order:

Bronislaw Gimpel (Bruch, Dvorak, and Goldmark concertos and Kreisler transcriptions)

Kyung Wha Chung (Bruch Concerto in G minor and Scottish Fantasy)

Itzhak Perlman (Great Romantic Concertos)

David Oistrakh (Bach, Brahms, and Tchaikovsky concertos)

Joseph Hassid (Complete recordings)

Henryk Szeryng (Bach Sonatas and Partitas)

Nathan Milstein (Library of Congress recital)

Jascha Heifetz (Tchaikovsky, Winiawski, an Sibelius Concertos on Naxos label with London Philharmonic and John Barbirollie and Thomas Beecham)

David Oistrakh (Shostakovich Violin Concerto Premiere recording)

Ginette Neveu (Brahms Concerto and Chausson Poeme)

April 4, 2004 at 02:33 AM · Brian,

I have been looking for the Gimpel recording ever since you started raving about it ages ago, but I don't believe it is on a currently available CD. This might make it rather difficult for both the original poster and myself to obtain. Where and when did you get yours? I have not ever seen it in a current catalogue anwyhere. All I see in the current day catalogue is his performance of the Bruch # 1.

April 4, 2004 at 04:22 AM · Fascinating question! All these responses are fun to read. Here are some of my favorites, in no particular order.

1) Bach Sonatas and Partitas, as played by James Ehnes. Such a majestically spiritual Bach!

2) Beethoven, Mendelssohn, violin concertos, as played by Fritz Kreisler. The Mendelssohn in particular is absolutely charming!

3) Twenty Violinists Play Twenty Masterpieces, as played by various fantastic violinists. Where else can you hear the likes of Auer, Sarasate, Joachim, Ysaye, and others, if only for a few golden minutes apiece?

4) Twenty-four Caprices, as played by James Ehnes. Youthful vigor at its best.

5) Jascha Heifetz the Supreme, as played by Jascha Heifetz (imagine that!). It includes his Tchaik, Brahms, Sibelius, Glazunov, and Scottish Fantasy on two discs...all for a one-disc

price!

6) Sibelius concerto, as played by Ginette Neveau. I don’t have this disc myself but I’ve heard excerpts of it, and it’s on my wish-list...

7) Barber violin concerto, as played by anyone. I haven’t yet heard an ideal interpretation of this work for my tastes, but Elmar Oliveira has a lovely version...and Hilary Hahn’s is

nice, too.

8) Brahms and Joachim violin concertos, as played by Rachel Barton. Another two-disc special for the price of one...it’s such a treat to hear anything by Joachim, especially when it is played as gorgeously as it is here.

9) Mendelssohn violin concerto, as played by Jascha Heifetz. One of the few recordings that gives me goosebumps no matter how many times I listen to it.

10) The Faure Album, as played by Gil Shaham. Gorgeous melodies.

11) And lastly, to close with some virtuosic flair, I would recommend Andre Rieu, Live

from Dublin. ;) Just kidding, just kidding...April Fool’s a tad late!

Musically, Emily

April 4, 2004 at 04:34 AM · Hi folks. I like LPs better as long as they are in good order. I have (on LP) a fantastic recording of the Sibelius Concerto by Oistrakh. Also I have a beautiful recording of Bruch's Scottish Fantasy done by Heifetz. I have heard the 4th recording Menuhin did of the Beethoven Violin Concerto which is really mature, but might start a heated argument among listeners comparing his earlier recordings of it..... and who could leave out Isaac Stern playing the Brahms....with his big warm embracing tone it just wraps the piece around you and you can forget there is the world out there....If you want better quality recordings there is a site in America called Acoustic Sounds Online Store. They have SACDs and DVDAs and also some turntable recordings which make my mouth water....please don't buy them all out now that I have written this as I am still saving up for them all....but you will get hooked on their stuff if you like good sound.

April 4, 2004 at 05:00 AM · Greetings,

I figure if you are allowed double albums then I can have some boxed sets...

1) Szigeti -last recording of Brahms cocnerto+ Mendellssohn and Mozart 4.

2) Enesco- Bach Solo Sonatas.

3) Oistrakh- Beethoven Violin Sonatas.

4) Menuhin- Schumann Conceto.

5) Quaretetto Italiano- Comeplete Beethoven.

6) Hungarian Quartet- Bartok Quartets.

7) Bach B minor mass. (Gardner)

8) Heifetz- Scottish Fantasy.

9) The Art of Milstein.

10) Grumiaux -Mozart Violin Concertos.

11) Schubert Piano Trios Casals.

Cheers,

Buri

April 4, 2004 at 05:13 AM · If you can include boxed sets, I would add the complete Kreisler RCA and the complete Heifetz set (currently unavailable).

April 4, 2004 at 06:10 AM · My list is maily composed of LPs.

1. Milstein: Bach S$P

2. Oistrakh: Brahms concedrto & double concerto with Rostropovich.

3. Heifetz box sets of great concerti including Beethoven, Brahms, Mendelson, Bruch, Tchaikovsky, Sibelius, Prokofev, Mozart No.5 and Glaznov.

4 Oistrakh: Beethoven concerto

5 Ferras: Sibelius concerto.

6 Grumiaux: Mozart concerti

7 Oistrkah: Beethoven sonata

8 Kogan: Mozart concerto #3 & Mendleson concerto

9 Kreisler: Kreisler's pieces

10 Milstein: Glaznov and Dvorak concerto

April 4, 2004 at 08:34 AM · no particular order

Szeryng Bach partitas and sonatas

Michael Rabin - anything by Rabin is unbelievable, his Scottish Fantasy surpasses Heifetz's in my opinion. His Wieniawski no. 1 is absolutely astounding.

Perlman - Barber Concerto

David and Igor Oistrakh - Double concertos

Any Oistrakh

Isaac Stern - Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso

Ginette Neveu - Chausson Poeme

That's not ten though

April 4, 2004 at 09:17 AM · Greetings,

just off the top of my head, so I am probably wrong, but did Heifetz actually record no1 of Wieniawski? I have never heard it although Iknow he used it to develop his staccato bowing and then sunseqeuently demanded that all his students learn it.

No2 sublime though...

Cheers,

Buri

PS I know these were supposed to be only violin, but I foundmyself unable to separate solo stuff from things that just had a violin inthere somewhere.

April 4, 2004 at 06:17 PM · Since people are stretching this, here are a few of my own esoteric faves:

1) Inner Mounting Flame (and everything by Shakti); Mahavishnu Orchestra

2) Drive; Bela Fleck et al

3) Anything (especially old) by Altan or Solas

4) Early Music; Kronos Quartet

5) Beethoven Piano Trios; Beaux Arts Trio

6) Ravel/Debussy Trio and Sonatas; Borodin Trio

7) Brahms Piano Trios; Beaux Arts Trio

8) Brahms Piano Quartet; Murray Perahia with members of the Amadeus Quartet

9) Beethoven sonatas 9, 10; Gidon Kremer & Martha Argerich

10) Bach St. Matthew's Passion; John Eliot Gardiner

10 bis) Chairman Dances by Adams; Ives Symphony No. 2; anything by Steve Reich--especially Six Marimbas, Music for 18 Musicians, Electric Counterpoint; Drumming, etc etc etc

April 4, 2004 at 08:18 PM · Carl's list is almost exactly what mine would be

April 5, 2004 at 07:42 PM · Here are some of my favorites at the moment-

*Arthur Grumiaux Bach Sonatas and Partitas

*Pamela and Claude Frank Beethoven Sonatas

*Kyung Wha Chung Brahms Sonatas

*Hilary Hahn Mendelssohn-Shostakovich

April 4, 2004 at 11:43 PM · Just wanted to say that you might want to listen to Nikolaj Znaider's "Bravo: Romantic encores for violin and piano" CD.

In addition you should check out:

Hilary Hahn's Beethoven/Bernstein's Serenade CD. (For the Serenade.)

And Mutter's recording of the Stravinsky Concerto is very charismatic. It is technically clean too, which is remarkable. (I have NEVER heard a Stravinsky Concerto--except for Hilary Hahn's--that hasn't been absolutely riddled with mistakes! If there are any other good ones let me know...)

April 5, 2004 at 10:25 AM · Owen - great minds think alike!

Carl.

April 5, 2004 at 01:57 PM · Ruggiero Ricci - The Glory Of Cremona CD/LP.

Mischa Elman The Solo Victor Recordings. 4 or 5 CD's on The Biddulph Label, early Elman!.

Any early recordings of the young Menuhin playing encore's!

Isaac Stern Present's Encores violin and piano on CD.

Isaac Stern encores with orchestra on CD!

Isaac Stern Brahms Violin Sonatas Nos. 1,2, & 3 on CD.

Isaac Stern Bach Violin Sonatas BWV 1016, 1020 & 1023. Handel and Tartini Violin Sonatas on CD.

Milstein Vignettes on CD.

Heifetz Collection CD's especially vol. 1, 2 & 6. Encores!!.

Joseph Sziget1 The Complete HMV recordings (1908-13}

Any Kreisler, Rabin, Early Enesco, Grumiaux or Oistrakh CD's.

April 5, 2004 at 06:09 PM · I would say:

Concertos

#1 Sibelius - Anne Sophie Mutter

#2 Brahms - Oistakh

#3 Bruch Scottish Fantasy and Concerto #2 - James Ehnes

#4 Prokofiev #1- Maxim Vengerov

#5 Mendelssohn - some may hate me for saying this- Joshua Bell!

#6 Bach Concertos - Hilary Hahn

Solo Bach

#1 Milstein

#2 Gregory Fulkerson - I love this CD!

#3 Laura St. John - very individualistic interpretations

Others

#1 Kreisler showpieces- James Ehnes

#2 Sweet Sorrow - Sarah Chang

#3 Cinema Serenade - Perlman

I hope this helps!

April 5, 2004 at 06:48 PM · "*Hilary Hahn Mendelssohn-Shostakovich"

how can you consider that one of the top ten recordings of all time?

April 5, 2004 at 07:05 PM · I really like her Shostakovich.

April 5, 2004 at 07:38 PM · Owen, isn't this just 10 of our favorite recordings that we consider a must in our own collections? Not "of all time"?

I think so far the cd's reccomended on a whole are very good for any violinist to have in their collection. Also, I think it reflects everyone's tastes in music, and how they enjoy hearing certain works performed.

April 5, 2004 at 07:23 PM · Greetings all! My ten highly recommended discs (at least what I can recollect while at work :) are as follows, in no particular order, although Mutter's Sibelius is nearest and dearest to me:

*Anne-Sophie Mutter Jean Sibelius: Violin Concerto, Serenades and Humoresque w/Dresden Staatskapelle

*Andrew Manze and Rachel Podger Bach Solo and Double Violin Concertos w/Academy of Ancient Music

*Nigel Kennedy Walton Violin and Viola Concertos w/Andre Previn and Royal Philharmonic

*Dong-Suk Kang French Violin Sonatas w/Pascal Devoyon

*Ginette Neveu Ginette Neveu Plays Brahms w/Issay Alexandrovich Dobroven and Philharmonia Orchestra

*Nathan Milstein The Last Recital w/Georges Pludermacher

*Salvatore Accardo Paganini Violin Concertos (complete) w/Charles Dutoit and London Philharmonic Orchestra

*Jascha Heifetz The Virtuoso Jascha Heifetz (Pearl) -variety of great pieces-

*Nigel Kennedy Elgar Violin Concerto and Ralph Vaughan-Williams The Lark Ascending w/Simon Rattle and The City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

*Leila Josefowicz Solo

April 6, 2004 at 01:27 PM · in any order

hilary hahn barber myer violin concertos

alexadre dubach paganini complete concertos (which is second to none)

rosand ernst hubay and many other hard to find concertos

stern encores with piano

milstein bach sonatas and partitas

Grumiaux mozart concertos

dmitry sitkovetsky shostakovich prokofiev concertos(far better than vangerov)

david,igor oistrach music for 2 violins(under DG. label)

william schuman violin concerto under naxos(one of the greatest violin concertos if you like berg concerto you MUST LISTEN to it)

anne-sophie mutter modern

and du pre the concerto cellection(it's not a violin cd but it's a must)

April 5, 2004 at 10:39 PM · Kismet, you reminded me to add Gidon Kremer's Philip Glass concerto.

April 5, 2004 at 11:12 PM · Buri to my knowledge Heifetz never recorded Wieniawski Violin Con. No.1, he should have it fits his temperament. I' can't figure out why he never recorded the Paganini No. 1 either. He performed the Paganini live in concert. Do you know anyone who has it? Perlman does a good job with the Wieniawski No.1!

April 6, 2004 at 12:03 AM · Greetings,

Rick, yep, the Wieniawski was one of his specials. Just never got round to it I guess. The Paginini he did went out of his repertoire fairly fast. I don`t think Heifetz realy empathized with Paginini so much. However, some people say that he was also smart in avoiding comparisons with the young Menuhin and to be honest, one can see why in this -one- instance. I think it all came togeher for the great boy in that concerto and his recording is one of the seven wonders of violin history- i find it rather scary. Pity he made such a pigs ear of it late r though...

Cheers,

Buri

I guess Carlos is the man to ask about Paginini bootlegs...

April 6, 2004 at 12:29 AM · Poor Ji Lim. He said he is on a budget. Methinks he is going to have to take out a bank loan to afford all these CDs.

April 6, 2004 at 01:23 AM · Yes I heard one of my teachers mention he did not record the Paganini because Menuhin's recording was to good! However watching him play on video Paganini's 24th caprice is just amazing. Since the Paganini Violin Concerto is my favorite concerto, I would of loved to hear him play that piece!!

April 6, 2004 at 02:39 AM · Greetings,

Rick, I have that video of the 24th and I agree that is possibly one of the most stunning demonsrations of perfect playing in existence. I am sorry for anyon e who has never seen it. The only thing I have seen close is the Milstein DVD of pagininiana.

Was it Menuhin who restored the Paginini to its proper length? Until then I understood it was always done in the Wilhelmj verson which is the one Heifetz played,

Cheers,

Buri

April 6, 2004 at 02:04 AM · Yea Buri I think your right, Menuhin was the first to play all 3 movements of the Paganini.

April 6, 2004 at 04:17 AM · Greetings,

so here is my new revised list,

1) Milstein Goldmark

2) Francescatti Lalo

3) Szigeti Mozart 4

4) Szigeti Brahms

5) Heifetz Tosc. Beethoven.

6) Oistrakh Tchaikovsky

7) Enesco Unac. Bach

8) Szeryng Bach accompanied.

9) Menuhin Paginini Concerto

10)Milstein Art of (box.)

Cheers,

Buri

April 6, 2004 at 08:24 AM · Rick,

Glory of Cremona. I've been looking for that for a fair while on CD. Last copy I saw was in a music store in Sydney about 5 years ago. I should have pounced there and then but I didn't. Do you know of a current source? Strad magazine does not seem to list it either :(

April 6, 2004 at 08:38 AM · Jonathan - Glory of Cremona is a great recording - I have the record, but not seen a CD.

My top ten, random order:

Complete Bach Violin Works: Benjamin Schmid

Paganini Caprices arranged Schumann for violin & piano: David Garrett

Brahms & Schumann Concerti: Joshua Bell

Bruch Scottish Fantasy: Heifetz

Brahms Concerto: Oistrakh

Kreisler Album: Joshua Bell

Bach Solo Sonatas & Partitas:

Milstein

Complete recordings:

Josef Hassid

Saint-Saens Violin & Piano music: Phillipe Graffin & Pascal Devoyon

Elgar concerto: Menuhin

April 6, 2004 at 02:57 PM · Jonathan the most I can do for you is burn you a copy of the CD I have. I have done this for a few people here. Give me your address and I'll send you a copy of the Glory of Cremona CD with Ricci. This CD in my opinion is Ricci's best playing and most expressive playing he has done. Hands down he had his own personal sound, that's what I admire most in a musician. He plays 15 different Violins, but his tone and style come thru on all of them. He recently recorded another CD which I think is his last recording ,he is 83 and retired, called The Legacy of Cremona which is still in print on CD. This time he plays 15 contemporary violins. He is still in pretty good shape here I think at 83 years old!!. I would grab it while you can before it goes out of print.

April 6, 2004 at 02:55 PM · 1. Biber Rosary Sonatas (Susanne Lautenbacher)

2. Elgar Violin Concerto (Zukerman/Slatkin)

3. Bruch Scottish Fantasy/Concerto 1/Vieutemps 5 (Heifetz)

4. Mendelssohn/Brahms concerti (Heifetz)

5. Lalo Symphonie Espagnole/Goldmark Concerto (Perlman)

6. Vivaldi Four Seasons (Schwalbe/Karajan)

7. Handel Violin Sonatas (Manze)

8. Sibelius concerto/ Bruch Fantasy (Midori)

9. Beethoven Kreutzer/Spring Sonatas (Zukerman/Barenboim)

10. Mozart concerti 3 & 5 (Mutter/Karajan)

The order is entirely arbitrary, and is not to be considered an order of preference. This is the order in which they occurred to me, though. I suppose that could be considered a preference of sorts...

April 6, 2004 at 09:38 PM · Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for that extremely generous offer of yours. As much I would love to have the Glory of Cremona CD, I'll have to pass up on your wonderful offer. The reason being that I expect someone or some company has copyright ownership over that recording and it would be an extremely difficult process for me to track them down, obtain the required permission and pay a royalty.

So as much as it pains me, I'll just have to hope that it might be re-issued - one day - as many older recording seem to. Thank you very much anyway :)

April 6, 2004 at 11:42 PM · Your very honest. Look at it as I'm giving you a gift, I'm not making anything on it.

Think about it, why does a recording have to go out of print. If someone wants a recording by an artist it should be for purchase, your paying for it. By the way Biddulph Records are up and running again. They re -released some of the recordings they had on CD, like Elman, Kreisler, Toscha Seidel, Casals!! Etc. with some knew releases also. Get it now before they go out of print again.

Let me know Jonathan if you have a change of mind. I do respect you for being so honest.

April 6, 2004 at 11:56 PM · Greetings,

I suppose you could send some money to the head of EMI or whaetever, saying that had they the good sense ot keep good music available you would pay for it...

Cheers,

Buri

You could even send Ricci a nice crate of prunes.

April 7, 2004 at 12:04 AM · Amazing Buri, me and my wife were just discussing this topic! Let's say you owned the rights of The Glory Of Cremona CD, even if you only had 25 request a year for the CD what would be the big deal to print the CD up as needed, as the owner your still making some money. It's seems they need a request of 500 thousand to consider maybe to put out the recordings. The Glory of Cremona CD I have was put out by The Strad,A limited Edition. Ricci recorded the album for Decca. I guess the strad bought the rights from decca.

April 7, 2004 at 12:17 AM ·

April 7, 2004 at 12:43 AM · Greetings,

Rick, this is true of so much music , books and the like.

I think one of the most important books on violin playing was `The Way They Play Vol1` Here, appallingly badly written, are the fundamental thoughts of the the great violnists of history. Had I kept my little respected collection when coming to Japan I could be a millionaire now...

But it is all part of the big picture. The movers and shakers believe that they know what we want and also are creating markets on purpose. Why release oldies when one is pushing for a single player like Chang or Nige to be the big money spinner.

Art has litlte to say about things...(except in his coffee break)

Cheers,

Buri

April 7, 2004 at 01:24 AM · Jonathan,

I'm very glad that you're interested! You can go on amazon.com, and search for Bronislaw Gimpel. The recording has a green cover with a picture of Gimpel. I just looked and saw there were 2 recordings available. Hope you can get it!

April 7, 2004 at 01:52 AM · I agree Buri. I also have Vol. 1 of the way they play series. If your interested try..www.half.com, they have some volumes of the way they play series. One seller has a few volumes at very reasonable prices. They usually have Vol.2. I bought a few from there, vol. 2 and 3, I think 3 has Rabin in there.

November 20, 2004 at 09:15 PM · Before writing everything I must say I have hundred of violin Cds (even rare boxes as Heifetz collection: 7 cds with his earlier recordings from 1929 to 1949) of every kind of work played from almost every famous soloist, and after having listened each one I can say that Mutter is the best violinist of ever (even her live concerts are stunning), she can touch the soul of a person like no other.

however, that's my favourite top ten list

1)SIBELIUS -MUTTER (1995)

2)BEETHOVEN -MUTTER (2002)

3)TCHAIKOVSKY + KORNGOLD -MUTTER (2004)

4)BRAHMS - MUTTER (1997)

5)CARMEN FANTASIE - MUTTER 1994

6)VIVALDI 4 SEASONS - CARMIGNOLA (1998)

7)MOZART - MUTTER (1978)

8)VIRTUOSO VIOLIN - PERLMAN

9)TCHAIKOVSKY - MORINI (1957)

10)PREVIN + BERNSTEIN - MUTTER (2003)

November 20, 2004 at 09:53 PM · Ponty Grapelli & Smith - Jazz Violin Summit

November 21, 2004 at 01:00 PM · What does everyone have against you Sam?

I put you back to '0'.

November 21, 2004 at 03:25 PM · Mattias,

I think when you receive a certain amount of demerits, all your posts start with an automatic demerit.

Carl.

November 21, 2004 at 03:46 PM · Ah, I see...

Por guy, so Behave nu Sam ;)

April 16, 2005 at 10:08 PM · What interesting and great lists. I've got so many favorites that I don't know where to begin. However, limiting myself to solo violin concerto performances, and the ones I find myself listening to over and over, they include:

1. Beethoven Concerto, Francescatti (Ormandy, Philadelphia). Others are great, but this is my favorite of all time.

2. Paganini #1, a tie between Kogan and Rabin. I heard Rabin play it live with the Philadelphia Orchestra when I was younger, and it was better than any recording by anybody I have ever heard.

3. Paganini #2, another tie between Menuhin (Fistoulari and the Philharmonia) and Ricci (with, I think, the Cincinnati Symphony). Neither has as yet appeared on CD. The Menuhin has heart, courage, and an astounding way of having a vocal quality. The Ricci is the most awesome display of bravaura technique and excitement you will ever hear.

4. Brahms Concerto - Menuhin (Furtwangler), Oistrakh, Heifetz

5. Elgar, Heifetz. No one better.

6. Bartok - Ivry Gitlis plays it like Gypsy music and makes everyone else sound aenemic.

7. Goldmark - Milstein (Blech), one of the great masterpieces of performance on record. But the Perlman is absolutely great, too.

8. Mozart #4, Heifetz (Beecham). Beyond elegant, and (believe it or not) warm and emotional.

9. Sibelius - Heifetz, Oistrakh, Gitlis

10. Shostakovich #1, Any of the Oistrakh or Kogan recordings.

As I think about it, I could probably add another 100 to the list.

April 16, 2005 at 11:42 PM · 1. Bach: Sonatas and Partitas. Henryk Szeryng or Shlomo Mintz.

2. Beethoven Sonatas. Gidon Kremer.

3. Schubert: Complete Works for Violin. Kremer.

4. Beethoven VC: Anne-Sophie Mutter or countless others.

5. Paganini: 24 Capricci. Mintz.

6. Mozart Concertos: Grumiaux.

7. Bach: sonatas with harpsichord. Grumiaux.

8. Beethoven Triplekonzert: ASM, Ma, Karajan.

9. Schumann: Sonatas. Kremer.

10. Perlman: Mendelssohn and Brahms Double.

Obviously, the major concerti, Brahms sonatas, the great French sonatas, Bach and Vivaldi VC, and a nice helping of Gil Shaham, all need to be on this list. But 10 was the limit, and I am more into sonatas than concerti right now.

April 17, 2005 at 01:58 AM · you have interesting taste, mark.

that sounds sarcastic but its not.

April 17, 2005 at 02:33 AM · OK, I'll play, as long as we're calling this a list of "My Favorites" (as opposed to "The Greatest"). In no order:

Brahms Concerto: Oistrakh/Szell/Cleveland

Bartok Concerto: Szeryng/Haitink/Concertgebouw

Prokofiev Cto #1: Oistrakh/Von Matacic/LSO

Prokofiev Cto #2: Kogan/Kondrashin/USSR SSO

Prokofiev Sonatas 1&2: Wilkomirska/Schein

Walton Concerto: Kennedy/Previn/RPO

Bach Solo: Szeryng

Elgar Concerto: Campoli/Boult/LPO

Szigeti/Bartok Recital 1940

Ravel/Enescu: Kavakos/Nagy

April 17, 2005 at 05:22 AM · Brahms Concerto, Oistrakh,Perlman, or Barton-Pine

Mozart 3+5, Zimmermann or Bell

Bach Sonatas+Partitas, Luca or Podger

Copland Sonata, Shaham

Tchaikovsky Concerto, Heifetz

Elgar Concerto/Lark Ascending, Kennedy

Bruch Scottish Fantasy, Heifetz or Perlman

(that may technically be 12, since 12 performances are listed.)

April 17, 2005 at 06:00 AM · i'm ashamed that no ones mentioned Oistrakh's Khacturian recordings!

April 17, 2005 at 06:13 AM · Wilkomirska Khachaturian recording! :D

April 17, 2005 at 07:01 PM · Favorite Recordings I've enjoyed listening to recently.

1)Mutter Brahms Concerto/Schumann Fantasy tied with The Art of Ivry Gitlis

2)Kogan Tchaikovsky and Paganini Concerti

3)Mutter Mozart Violin Concertos No.1,2,4 and

Adagio

4)Szeryng Mendelssohn and Schumann violin concerti

5)Menuhin Beethoven Concerto and Romances with Furtwangler

6)Heifetz Korngold concerto/Rozsa/Waxman

7)Mutter Lalo Symphonie espagnole/Sarasate/Massenet with Ozawa/Karajan

8)Szeryng Bach Sonata and Partitas

9)Repin Strauss sonata/Bartok/Stravinsky

10)Vengerov Beethoven, Mozart, and Mendelssohn sonatas

April 17, 2005 at 06:43 PM · Dude, the entire Andre Rieu catalogue is a MUST-HAVE!

April 17, 2005 at 07:10 PM · Yes, it is perfect if you have a table that wiggles. Just put a cd under the shortest leg and ka-ching!

April 18, 2005 at 01:17 AM · 1. Alexander Schneider with Peter Serkin (Vanguard) Schubert Sonatinas.

2. Menuhin/Furtwangler Beethoven, Brahms and Mendelssohn Concertos.

3. Menuhin: Menuhin in Japan (Biddulph)

4. Mark Kaplan: Bach solo sonatas/partitas

5. Julian Sitkovitsky: Paganini #2 (Ricci w/Max Rudolf & Cincinnati Orch. would be #1 if avail.)

6. Stern: encores with orchestra and with piano

7. Beethoven Kreutzer and Spring & #7 in c-minor: Menuhin/Kempf

8. Vivaldi 4 seasons: Guilini conducting Parikian

9. Stern, Casals et al in Schubert's Quintet for Strings and piano trios with Casals et al.

10. Menuhin's Capitol recording of Bach A Minor, E Major and Double (w/Ferras; or his early recordings of same with Enesco)

11. Anything you play

April 18, 2005 at 06:13 PM · 1. Elizabeth Wallfisch - Bach Sonatas and Partitas.

2. Rachel Barton - Brahms Concerto.

3. Elizabeth Wallfisch - Bach Sonatas and Partitas.

4. Elizabeth Wallfisch - Bach Sonatas and Partitas.

5. Elizabeth Wallfisch - Bach Sonatas and Partitas.

6. Elizabeth Wallfisch - Bach Sonatas and Partitas.

7. Elizabeth Wallfisch - Bach Sonatas and Partitas.

8. Elizabeth Wallfisch - Bach Sonatas and Partitas.

9. Elizabeth Wallfisch - Bach Sonatas and Partitas.

10. Elizabeth Wallfisch - Bach Sonatas and Partitas.

April 18, 2005 at 08:20 PM · Jim, are you trying to make some kind of a point here?

April 19, 2005 at 05:41 AM · Word of mouth advertising, billboard style?

April 20, 2005 at 01:59 AM · Well, I have to say that after a quick glance on Ebay, my Top One would have to be one of those CDs which contain a zillion .pdf files of every violin work under the sun.

April 20, 2005 at 04:03 AM · Sue, what do you mean?

April 20, 2005 at 04:27 AM · Does this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43380&item=7316365258&rd=1

April 20, 2005 at 04:36 AM · 1) david oistrakh - brahms double concerto - szell

2) menuhin - enescu sonata with hepzibah

3) menuhin - bruch violin concerto no1 - susskind

4) menuhin or vadim repin - tchaikovsky (maybe kubelik/kempe) maybe naxos - cd lost

5) menuhin - elgar

April 20, 2005 at 06:49 AM · I have all these on LPs and don't know which have been reissued on CDs.

1. To learn tone production and how to use it: Any short pieces played by Elman (who especially plays Kreisler as good or better than Kreisler), Kreisler, and Heifetz (especially his Gershwin arrangements). I got in about a dozen albums on this entry! hehe

2. Milstein's Bach Sonatas and Partitas (last version).

3. Milstein's Beethoven with Leinsdorf and Brahms with Vienna (unfortunately not paired).

4. Kreisler's Beethoven and Brahms.

5. Milstein's Chausson Poeme on LP with his wonderful Saint-Saens #3.

6. Milstein's and Erica Morini's Bach Double (also with Vivaldi Double on LP). This is the greatest recording of this piece, not the least reason of which is the beautiful way they treat the bass line in the slow movement. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find it on CD, although the Vivaldi has been reissued.

7. Milstein's Mendelssohn and Tchaik.

8. Milstein's Dvorak and Glazounov.

9. The Complete Recorded Legacy of Ginette Neveu.

10. Menuhin's Famous Early Recordings.

Extras: I agree you can't live without the Brahms Double with Oistrakh and Rostropovich,

or Glen Gould's Bach Goldberg Variations (last edition).

Of course, there are so many more, but you said TEN. That is impossible. :0)

Lisa

April 20, 2005 at 08:43 PM · If you can afford:

All recordings by the Amadeus Quartet.

All recordings by the Budapest Quartet.

Oistrakh's Beethoven (Gauk)- Mendelssohn (Kondrashin) - Tchaikovsky (Konwitschny) -

Oistrakh - Brahms Sonatas (Richter/F.Bauer)

The "Oistrakh Trio" collection -

Oistrakh - The Prague Edition.

Francescatti - Saint-Saens #3

Felix Ayo - The Four Seasons

Milstein - Bach Sonatas and Partitas (50,s)

Oleg Kagan/Sviatoslav Richter -Mozart sonatas and Beethoven sonatas. The piano is so incredible that one must listen to these Beethoven and Mozart sonatas with Kagan/Richter.

April 20, 2005 at 04:35 PM · LOL

Unfair, Amadeu!

If you are to include string quartet recordings then you must have the old Julliard's Schuberts and Beethovens and the old Cleveland's Brahms (absolutely unsurpassed!), and Rubenstein and the Guarneri's Brahms Piano Quintet (which requires maximum volume from a good stereo). (I love the Amadeus' Beethovens too.) In addition, you must get the Emerson's output as well. ;-)

Hey, do you have the Milstein/Morini Bach Double?

Lisa

April 20, 2005 at 05:21 PM · A good Milstein record is "Milstein Miniatures." Something that would make a great encore piece would be a transcription of a tune called "Marigolds" by a British piano composer whose name escapes me. As far as I know none exists. He was a contemporary of Gershwin. It's a very nice tune. You've heard it before.

Lisa, what is in this picture? Is it the fingerboard jack you were talking about once?

Yo

April 20, 2005 at 06:32 PM · Lisa:

ROFL

I agree with the old Juilliard recordings.

About the Bach double recording with Milstein/Morini, I have seen the CD at Tower Records here in NYC. It must be available almost anywhere. I'm sorry to disappoint you by not having it. I must say that after I got the Francescatti/Pasquier (1971)version besides the versions with Oistrakh, I didn't see the need to buy the Milstein/Morini or any other version for that matter.

But,who knows, perhaps I will.

April 20, 2005 at 07:53 PM · Message for Bernard Hsiao:

Bernard:

Don't be ashamed. Kachaturian versions with Oistrakh have been mentioned several times on this site.

Versions:

-Oistrakh/Rozhdestvensky

-Oistrakh/Khachaturian

-Oistrakh/Kubelik

-Oistrakh/Gauk

April 20, 2005 at 09:07 PM · Greetings,

quick plug for:

Enescu Bach solo sonatas

Szigeti Mozart Sonatas.

Cheers,

Buri

April 20, 2005 at 10:08 PM · Hi Jim,

Yes, that is an arch support. Nice photo too!

Lisa

April 20, 2005 at 10:12 PM · Yeah, arch support. Don't know where I got fingerboard jack :)

April 21, 2005 at 01:06 AM · Amadeu, I LOVE all what you listed!

And I think, Oleg Kagan/Richter playing of Sonatas is the best. I heard them live. It was excellent duet.

I also like Borodin Quartet/Schostakovich.

April 21, 2005 at 01:36 AM · Hi,

For me, must...

-Heifetz playing Korngold live at Carnegie Hall (the only time I have ever cried in public in the first hearing of the second movement)

-Milstein playing the Goldmark-well, it speaks for itself.

-Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg (1955 version)-well, when one can't find anything to say about an opening phrase except wow, that's something

-Brahms Double with Oistrakh and Rostropovitch, but on LP (the CD sampling is too wide and the intensity is lost)

-Beethoven Op. 127 with the Vermeer Quartet (Shmuel Ashkenazi, first violinist)-when the intonation in four part writing is so perfect that you hear overtones on the recording and get some out-of-this-world sound, you know something is up.

-Grumiaux playing the Lekeu sonata (just simply too damn beautiful)

I might have more, but for now, hmmm...

Cheers!

April 21, 2005 at 02:02 AM · Christian, I was listening to the 1955 Gould today and I must say I prefer the 1981. Both are wonderful, and the aria da capo at the end never ceases to break my heart with its simple perfection. But as Gould explained in the Monsaingeon film, in his youth he treated the variations like separate pieces... what I love about the 1981 is the continuity of pulse and conception that he infuses throughout that performance (and the sound's much better).

But both records are masterpieces... as an aside, Gould grew up just down the street from my house in Toronto!

As I was listening today (to the 1955) I was thinking today if anyone has tried to arrange the Goldbergs for string (duo?) or something like that... has this been done? I know the Art of Fugue is often done (e.g. by the Emersons -- a very good record). Although obviously, the Goldbergs are more definately keyboard works than the AoF... just a silly idea.

April 21, 2005 at 03:25 AM · Every time I try to listen to the Emerson Art of the Fugue it starts to sound like a keyboard synthesiser on a "strings" setting, and I have to turn it off. I've never experienced that with any other recording (I have other Emerson recordings which I like very much).

I'll have to give the Art of the Fugue another spin sometime...maybe it was something I ate...

April 21, 2005 at 03:45 AM · Mike, as weird as that sounded, I agree there is something strange about that record. Can't quite put my finger on it -- but it's hypnotic...

April 21, 2005 at 07:31 AM · Mark,

I prefer the 1981 recording as well. A recording you should all look out for is a live recording he did in 1959 from the Salzburg festival. It is different from both recordings; slightly slower than the first, and in many ways a balance between the two studio recordings (though obviously closer to the 1955 recording in spirit). Perhaps my favourite Gould recording (after the 1981 Goldbergs) is his recording of the Bach sixth keyboard partita. That really is magical stuff.

The Juilliard Quartet made a lovely recording of The Art of the Fugue, but I'm not sure if it's still in print or not.

Carl.

April 21, 2005 at 08:42 AM · Greetings,

it is,

Cheers,

Buri

April 21, 2005 at 11:40 AM · Hi,

Alright. I am not as familiar with the 1981 recording. Anyhow...

Mark, the Goldberg variations are arranged for String trio and have been recorded on the CBC label by the Triskellion Trio. Martin Beaver is the violinist, and it's a beautiful recording.

Cheers!

April 21, 2005 at 02:00 PM · I was wondering about something. Am I going to sound shallow if I mention the Sonatas for violin and piano by C.M. von Weber?

I have a clean delightful recording of the six sonatas with Pikaizen. Very soothing.

April 21, 2005 at 06:12 PM · 1. Milstein: Solo Bach

2. Mullova: Mendelssohn

3. Shaham: Bruch #1

4. Kogan: Tchaikovsky

5. Aaron Rosand: Sarasate pieces

6. Oistrakh: Mozart violin concerti

7. Gitlis: Sibelius

8. Rabin: Bruch Scottish Fantasy

9. Huberman: Beethoven concerto

10. Kreisler: Kreisler

April 22, 2005 at 01:14 AM · Amadeu, I had Weber's Sonatas on LP with Pikaizen which I presented to my best friend because I really liked it(some people could think that I am crazy...). Actually I enjoy listening to Pikaizen, he was one of the best students of Oistrakh. Especially I like his playing of Mendelssohn e minor.

April 22, 2005 at 05:50 PM · Rita:

I also have a recording of Pikaiszen performing the Dvorak with Oistrakh conducting. He's a forceful player, no doubt. On the same LP he performs the Wieniawski no.1 with Rozdhestvensky.

He's an accomplished player.

I'm happy we share the pleasures of listening to the Weber sonatas.

April 22, 2005 at 05:53 PM · Saying he's an accomplished player is a bit like saying Superman is a pretty strong guy...how many such "accomplished players" were alive in the time of Oistrakh?

April 22, 2005 at 08:32 PM · In lieu of coffee, Nadja Salerno Sonnenberg's CD of the 4 seasons wakes up my body and soul. I want to be buried with it to come back from the dead.

April 22, 2005 at 10:25 PM · Ok, nobody mentioned Fodor, so I will.

Fodor--Nel cor piu non mi sento-Paganini

Fodor--Paganini Concerto #1, in my opinion, the best followed by Victor Tretyakov

Fodor--Tchaikovsky Concerto

Fodor-Nielsen Concerto

Fodor-Witches Brew-the Paganini in particular-Le

Streghe is played with scordatura tuning.

Of these, I would definitely put the Tchaik., Paganini #1, Nielsen, and Nel cor piu non mi sento (from a recital album-available on lp only) on my list. Fodor is incredible. The guy can play some serious fiddle.

Of course, the Rabin, Heifetz, Milstein and Kogan lp's. Perhaps Szering's Beethoven concerto in addition to his Bach.

Rabin's caprices at 13-14 years old.

Rosand's Sarasate lp.

I would like to mention Ferras' DVD. I had no idea his playing was so incredible. In some ways, he reminded me of a combination between Heifetz and Rabin.

Just trying to come up with some that nobody has mentioned. Everyone has come up with some great recordings.

April 22, 2005 at 10:27 PM ·

April 23, 2005 at 03:06 PM · Hi,

Some additions to my incomplete list...

-The Szeryng DVD of Brahms live in Paris - ridiculously good performance.

-Stern playing the Tchaikovsky and Sibelius with Philly/Ormandy - just got that one, and I actually couldn't stop the thing while listening to it driving, it was so powerful.

-Ginette Neveu's Brahms with Philharmonia/Dobrowen ; the intensity of the first page is such that I forgot to breath. Sounded like someone setting the instrument abalze.

That's all for now.

Cheers!

April 23, 2005 at 03:50 PM · I have never cared for what I have heard of Stern. Last week I hear on the radio a performance by him of the Saint-Saens Bm Concerto. I now know how wrong I was. Beautiful!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe