Left Hand Pizzicato

April 2, 2004 at 01:33 AM · hi i just recently received my first piece utilizing lefthandpizzicato. i was wondering how do u practice it and produce as much tone as possible, thanks

Replies (7)

April 2, 2004 at 02:08 AM · Greetings,

Daniel, you should check out the archives of this list. There are a lot of discussions of this topic.

I am always interested in this issue because after reading things by Dounis who approache dthe left hand (and everything else) in a highly organized and scientific way, I realized that although LH pizz is initself rather trivial, whta it actually stands for is rather important. That is, it represents on of a small number of basic movements of the left hand fingers htat one should be able to make in order to have a balanced technique. Not only that, but , as cellists are acutely aware of since Casal`s emphasized the point` the inner motions of lh pizz are very helpful in developing crisp descending passage work where the addition of a slight plucking movemnt lends a great dela of clarity. Somehting to consider in scale practice.

So, I concluded it should be practice everyday as recommended by Dounis and a few other pedagogues. The bets exercises I am awate of are in Dounis `An Artists technique`, the extra scales at the back of the Rostal edition of the Flesch Scale manual and i think there is some sevcick stuff.

However, the truth is there are only so many ways of practicing it and it is all pretty much the same IE pluck an open string with various fingers. Pluck the first finger tsopped with various fingers. pluck the second finger stoped and so on. Then do 4321 patterns.

What piece are you playing?

There are some helpful passages in the Barucaba Variations, Paginini Caprice 24, Sarasate (especially Zapateado) and so on,

Cheers.

Buri

April 2, 2004 at 09:20 AM · What Buri said.

But also: angle of attack is important. Make sure your finger is placed well on the string - no dainty fingertippy stuff here, get a good flat hold, and get a good sideways movement going. Sideways I mean in that the movement of your finger will be more or less at right-angles to the line of the string. Practise really slowly and don't do too much at first, because it's a new thing for the skin of your fingers and you may well develop new or different calluses. let them develop slowly :)

April 2, 2004 at 06:39 PM · well said guys, i might had it helps a lot just to practice scales, going up AND down. You have to go pretty slow going up, but down you can let loose a YEHAW! and go for it. at least thats what i do...

April 3, 2004 at 12:17 AM · Greetings,

Owen is the scallywag of the violin world,

Cheers,

Buri

April 3, 2004 at 01:52 AM · Scales work great. If that bores you to death, take part of a piece (say Paganini's 24th caprice) and do the LH pizz section. The 9th Caprice is good in the 4 note figures for left hand pizzicato as well. If you want a real challenge, find a piece with a plucked melody line on one string, and a bowed one on another string, that are played simaltaniously.

April 3, 2004 at 02:47 AM · Greetings,

I also forgot that in the Galmian editions of both the Kreutzer and Dont op37 preparatory studies lh pizz is

advocated as part of developing a good trill which shows the significance the great attached to this kind of finger action.

Cheers,

Buri

April 4, 2004 at 06:18 PM · Develop strength and agility in your left hand with the pizz' exercises recommeded by Buri. But also try Tartini's Devil's Trill Sonata. This is what I am doing to restore my LHP and it seems to be working... A fortunate and accidental discovery, I guess.

Cheers,

Susannah ;')

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe