Fritz Kreisler's Bowing!!!!

March 29, 2004 at 07:16 AM · Isaac Stern in his autobiography claims Kreisler only used 70% of the bow, hardly went to the tip and hardly went to the frog. Two of my teachers said the same thing that he used very little bow. How accurate is this about Kreisler's bowing? Does anyone know of any articles on Kreisler's bowing technique?

Replies (5)

March 29, 2004 at 08:40 AM · not true...try listening to a recording and you will be able to tell for yourself...anything he plays is magical and one of a kind

March 29, 2004 at 08:41 AM · the style in which a lot of his music was writen was not"boastfully romantic" per say. his articulations were very unique - such as his piece "sicilienne and rigaudon" there is a lot "oxygen" in the siciliene - no real whole bows. and then in the rigaudon it is basically baroque music with romantic styling. His ability to compose music and play violin is like noneother

March 29, 2004 at 02:56 PM · Henry Roth in his book Violin Virtuosos, says Kreisler's bowing included certain unorthodoxies. Some violinist took pride in their ability to negotiate the long bow using a single stroke for an extreme length of time in cantilena passages, Kreilser was actually extravagant in his constant bow changes. I do hear this in Kreisler's playing to my ears, he does tend to steer away from using long drawn out bows. It seems he is changing his bow alot, How much of the bow he is using I really don't know. Whatever, his playing was always unbelieveable to me. No one ever sounded like Kreisler!!

March 30, 2004 at 12:49 AM · I have never heard Kreiser's bowing style ever imitated. He was not for the son file long drawn out sound. He was more for the springy light sound, with a very unique way of using bow speed and bow division. However, a lot of his sound had to do with his vibrato. His 3rd movement of the Beethoven Concerto, or actually the whole concerto for that matter but especially that last movement is a real joy to hear and I have never heard such an individualistic way of playing that piece.

March 30, 2004 at 01:48 AM · Which recording Brian do you prefer the First recording with Blech, or the 2nd recording with Barbirolli.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe