You'd Have To Be a Keen Record Collector

March 28, 2004 at 06:26 AM · I know a lot of us are keen record collectors, especially when it comes to rare performances of bygone violinists. But take a look at this. You'd really have to be keen. Up to $4,000 for 3 mono Georges Enesco Bach LPs!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4003054353&category=306

Replies (11)

March 28, 2004 at 12:22 PM · Jonathan: Enescu's Bach on Continental is a classic for LP collectors. Its one of the rarest rarities. Some years ago in Japan somebody bought it for 21.000!.Any Enescu's vinyl is rare, like Johanna Martzy, Ferras, Neveu, Hassid,young 0istrakh, Szering and many others. Its stupid, I know, because almost all is on CD. There's a site of LPs collectors and one of them want originals german DG by Johanna Martzy (first editions). He offers 2.000 sterling pounds each.

March 28, 2004 at 12:46 PM · You think they'd be worth it if they were stereo??

March 28, 2004 at 02:57 PM · Though I love music and have spend a good amount of money over the years, I think there is a limit. Most collectors are compulsive, their more interested in getting the item for their collection "or complete their collection" rather than buying something because of it's quality. I think anyone paying that much for an Lp is not buying it for the music or the artist, if they are it is a small percent. They like the Idea it is HARD TO GET OR FIND, It's a Challenge!!. Look at the multi millionaire Henry Ford he has 4 Strads behind a glass case at the Henry Ford Museum. You can thank these people for the outrageous prices on violins or anything else, ebay is full of them. Check it out at. http://www.bright.net/~hhelser/museum.html

March 28, 2004 at 09:55 PM · Had I known how rare this was I would have stolen it from a library that I know has it! I listened to a fair bit of it, I didn't really like it so much. Maybe I'll go back and check it out, only to 'lose it'.

March 28, 2004 at 11:20 PM · Hi Carlos,

Yes, I realise there is a real niche market for vinyl collectors. But it just amazing at how far people are prepared to draw the line in order to obtain a rarity. Then again, considering how much some of use pay for a violin, I guess that puts it in perspective.

Even with CD, I've been after a couple of recordings that are now out of print. The first is Perlman playing the Goldmark concerto and the second is Oistrakh playing the Khachaturian Concerto (a later recording - not the one made in the 1940s).

I even wrote to EMI asking them to consider re-issuing the Perlman / Goldmark, as I consider this recording to one of the greatest of the 20th century. I guess if I was a vinyl nut and had $10,000 worth of stereo gear and turntable, I'd pay quite a lot for this Goldmark recording on vinyl. Not $4,000 though!!

March 28, 2004 at 11:45 PM · Jonathan: You really think so of Perlman's Goldmark?. Well, I have the EMI CD and certainly prefer Milstein's. About Jachaturian by King David, be careful. He recorded 4 times that work, and I have the 4: 2 with Jachaturian, one with Gauk and one with Kubelik. And I even have a great version by Igor with Goosens. Worthy father's son!

March 29, 2004 at 12:10 AM · Do you have info regarding the 4 dates upon which he reocrded the Khachaturian? The recording I had in mind was originally on an LP that I listened to in 1982. It belonged to my music theory teacher at school, and I believe he bought it when he himself was much younger. So perhaps the recording I am thinking of dates from the early to mid 1960s. I'm not sure if it was mono or stereo.

March 29, 2004 at 12:47 AM · Go to "www.0istrakh.com"

March 29, 2004 at 01:24 AM · Jonathan I have on CD Oistrakh playing the Khachaturian Conducted by Khachaturian with the Moscow Radio Orchestra along with the Sibelius concerto conducted by Rozhdestvensky, on Melodiya Label, I'm reading 1965

March 29, 2004 at 02:59 AM · Hi Rick,

That would be the one. I defintely remember it being a Melodia recording, and the date makes sense as well. Thank you.

September 24, 2005 at 06:10 PM · I have a prestine stereo vinyl disk recording on the Russian Melodia label: 33c 01115-16(a) Half the liner history is in english, half in Russian, and the cover is in Russian and English with a photo of Khachaturyan. I can't find a date on it. The disk itself looks like it has never been played, the sleave is in very good condition, with some wear and dog eared bent corners, but very good. The liner mentions that "two decades have passed since the original performance in 1940," so I assume this version was recorded in about 1960. It is Aram Khachaturyan conducting the Concerto with the Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra and with oistrach playing the violin.

I no longer have a record player and would like to get this transfered to digital form on the best record deck and tube equipment possible, and then sell the original record disk to some one who will really appreciate it and take care of it.

I can be reached at doane(the usual @ symbol)rhoag.com

Thanks, Doane

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe