Legende

March 12, 2004 at 05:12 PM · Any tips on this piece by Wieniawski? I'm going to learn this to perform at the music camps I'm attending this summer. Any tips for learning new music efficently? Who has the best recording? Opinions on Vengerov's CD with piano?

Replies (24)

March 12, 2004 at 06:14 PM · Listen to the recordings of Kogan, Mutter, and Oistrakh.

March 12, 2004 at 06:25 PM · Practice the fingered octave trills slowly, make sure you bring out the bottom note more on the double stops and the glissando isn't as bad as it seems. This piece is really romantic, so a nice wide vibrato with clean intonation is key, and most of all have fun with it!!!

March 13, 2004 at 05:21 AM · The edition I played didn't even have a gliss (some have a 4 octave chromatic scale) but "only" a 3 octave fingered chromatic scale.

March 13, 2004 at 05:39 AM · well I played it like a glissando...

March 13, 2004 at 05:40 AM · cool four octave scale, okay I didn't have that, but I had a three octave chromatic scale.

March 13, 2004 at 07:04 AM · A great recording of the Wieniawski Legende is the 1960's recording of Erick Friedman with the London Symphony Orchestra.

March 13, 2004 at 01:33 PM · My edition has a three octave chromatic scale.

March 14, 2004 at 01:59 AM · It is a chromatic scale not a glissando and also I think it helps to play it leggato except for the last two notes rather than playing the whole thing detache which could be confusing.

March 14, 2004 at 01:56 PM · Should I buy a recording with piano or orchestra? I'll be performing with piano.

April 13, 2004 at 02:56 AM · Go to naxos.com, they have a recording of Legende with a piano.

April 13, 2004 at 05:55 AM · i'd buy one with orchestra because it will probabely give you a better feel for the piece. Just remember to overdo the romanticism

April 13, 2004 at 06:19 AM · I usually think of the middle section (the major key) as one continous crescendo of both sound and intensity, not a melodic line of peaks and valleys. And I think it's pretty hard to over-romanticize basically because this piece was written after Wieniawski's father-in-law rejected Wieniawski's proposal to his wife. Only after a concert the next day did his fatehr revoke his decision and allow them two to be marry, so the story goes. So, have that in mind/set yourself in that mindset when your playing/performing.

Req

April 13, 2004 at 07:55 PM · yes but he was trying to show his young romantic feelings, and probabely to win over the girl if he hadnt already.

April 14, 2004 at 12:56 AM · Beautiful Piece. :)

April 14, 2004 at 06:01 AM · Ohhh...every time I hear Oistrakh play this I get goosebumps...so romantic, so polish...madest piece

May 7, 2004 at 08:37 PM · A great, full of emotion piece. In a nutshell its about Wieniawski to marry his love, and his father rejected it. With great despair, he went up to his room and composed this piece. If you just think of that feeling you will sound GREAT. I just played the piece with paino in my schools solo recital concerts, thought of how wieniwaski felt, and put my self in his shoes. Great piece nontheless...go ahead and play it. ;)))

May 8, 2004 at 04:37 AM · I recommend that you don't make very long statements in your phrasing especially when the main theme comes up. Listen to Mutter's recording, and you'll know what I mean. She does this fast vibrato sort of accent (not really an accent, an emphasis) on the dotted quarter note, and then doesn't really connect it to the eighth note.

May 8, 2004 at 04:41 AM · blah...mutter's recording of Legende... I enjoyed her Carmen Fantasy, though.

May 8, 2004 at 12:23 PM · I love her recording of that piece ...she's a great painter.

However, to me, there isn't a greater recording of that piece the Kogan's.

May 8, 2004 at 06:27 PM · kogan does have a special drama to his playing, i'm sure chris will show up and defend mutter eventually.

November 6, 2007 at 09:39 PM · Hello everybody! :-)

What do you think, how hard is this piece?

I was about to start practising Scherzo Tarantelle, but maybe this would be a good idea before that one?

Is it too easy in comparison with Scherzo?

Looking forward to your answers!

November 9, 2007 at 01:32 AM · Milstein´s recording from 'Legende' is my favourite. I like too Friedman´s and Oistrakh´s recordings. I´m imagining that Friedman´s way to play that piece could be very near Heifetz´s way (if I´m not wrong, Heifetz never recorded that piece).

November 10, 2007 at 12:46 AM · Yes Friedman's recording of Legende with the London Symphony is amazing. I much prefer it to Vergerov's fine recording with piano. The orchestral accompaniment gives the piece greater depth I think. The Friedman recording is on a CD called 'Violin Showpieces' on RCA Silver Seal label with other works played by Friedman (Chausson, Paganini, Sarasate, and Saint-Saens), it is available at arkivmusic.com

November 10, 2007 at 04:35 AM · Greetings,

Nate, I hadn`t thought of that before but you are absolutely right- this particluar piece ismade for orchestra acomapniment. The sonorities just don`t quite work with piano. I am sur e this is true for many pieces but as I vizualized it just now I thought how strong this feeling was for this work.

Now pity the poor student who has to find a orchestra hanging atround with some spare time on their hands....

Cheers,

Buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe