Thomastic Infeld 'Blue' Strings

March 8, 2004 at 05:38 PM · Does anyone know anything about Thomastic Infeld's 'Blue' line? I have read quite a few reviews and talked to other string players about the 'Reds', but no one seems to know anything about their blue counterparts. Blues are described by their makers as 'bright', in contrast to the 'darkness' and softness of the Reds. Does this make blues sound loud and tinny, or brilliant and sensitive? How do they compare to 1/Dominants, 2/ Olivs and 3/Eudoxas? Are they any good for chamber music?

Replies (19)

March 9, 2004 at 01:43 AM · They are in similiar calibare as dominats as far as my instrument is concerend.

Their sound does not convety the mellow warmth gut strings give you. I doubt that they are any better than either eudoxa or oliv labled strings.

On some instrument( my peers at school)they can be explosively loud and drown just about everyone in the section. On my instrument they achieve a modest ring and timbre. While on a slightly smaller 7/8 sound does not exist.

March 9, 2004 at 05:03 AM · I got one "A" just to try it out, and it was too bright for my fiddle. I disliked it enough that I took it off after just a few days!

March 9, 2004 at 01:46 PM · I have only tried the Infeld Blue G string, and I love it (I use Infeld Red for all the others). The Red G sounded "fuzzy", and I wanted a more focused sound. But that was a specific problem and may not have the same effect on your violin.

December 9, 2007 at 10:22 PM · I've tried Evah pirazzis and were not pleased with the lack of colors although they were loud. I'm thinking about Infeld blue or Larsens with DOminants. I get the impression that INfeld blues are similar to Larsens that they are like Dominants but brighter.

December 10, 2007 at 01:00 AM · My 2 cents.

I have spent my ENTIRE life trying to be loud enough. Some of this was due to not having a good core sound (corrected, hurrah!), but despite getting a nice instrument that helped greatly, taking things to the next level during college made me start experimenting with strings all over the place (largely aided by people's comments on this website). I was doing everything I could to play loudly and project and on every concerto was told by someone how I needed "more". I loved darker strings (still do) but couldn't use them without a lot of stress anytime I played for anyone other than myself, which would be the point of playing professionally and going to school to play professionally.

I tried Pirazzis on my violin and they sounded awful. Truly horrendous. THEN they went out after 2 weeks just like everyone says. And at $65 a set, this was impossible to imagine spending so much money on. I was changing strings monthly at this point on my Dominants. However, I was told "good! that's some of the sound we're going for" on my concerto lesson.

Tried Visions and Vision Titaniums and they were too bright on my violin, too thin and pointy sounding.

I tried Blue's and I haven't gone back. It always depends on the violin. However, I have now been told I am "too loud" multiple times and am often complimented on my violins sound.

Also, always make sure that your setup is good and your bridge is straight. Try having someone adjust the soundpost. It makes a huge difference, as well. I had my soundpost adjusted to bring out the D & G strings a bit more and that seemed to mellow and balance the brightness of the Blue E.

ps. I have since tried Dominants just to compare and hated them on my violin. Blues forever! kidding...

Mostly, if you need a brighter sound, try them ALL out. Make a recording so you don't feel like you're being totally subjective because "this set is easier to play on" or anything. It'll give you more confidence in your opinions and decisions.

December 12, 2007 at 04:19 AM · So far it's also Blues for me too. I notice Claudio Rampini is also stringing his new violins with Blues and it sounds great.

February 2, 2009 at 06:33 PM ·

Resurrecting this discussion.

I've always used the Thomastik Melange...but can't get the locally anymore.  I heard they've stopped making them (too bad).

So I tried the Infeld Blue - wanting a brighter sound.

I dunno...it sounds okay, but I don't love it.  I only restrung the violin this weekend.  How long does it generally take before the strings settle?

February 2, 2009 at 09:57 PM ·

The Melange set is just a mix of Infeld Red G, Infeld Blue D, Dominant A and the Multilayer tinned carbon steel.

February 3, 2009 at 01:24 AM ·

I tried a set of Reds for a matter of days, and did not take to them. Just too loud & brash. My colleague tried Blues and hated them. She thought they sounded coarse and brassy on her violin. I use Obligatos now. I think she went back to Dominants. Sue

February 3, 2009 at 01:54 PM ·

Yes, I know the Melange is a mix, but it's worked well.  I was going to try the Dominants, but was told the either Infeld  would be a better bet...I'm not opposed to trying something new, but I can't afford to experiment with all the strings at the same time...

However, I don't think I'll be using these again on this particular violin.

I'll put Obligatos on my list...thanks!

February 3, 2009 at 03:27 PM ·

When I first bought Thomastik Infelds it was as an 8-string set of both BLUE and RED strings.  I tried them on several of my violins and found the mix what seemed to be the ideal match for each of them.  (It was not the same mix on each fiddle.)

I thought they were good strings - even on the violin that was not compatible with Dominants.

These days I'm favoring Vision Solos, and on more mellow violins that have trouble going way up the G string I've had great sucess with the new Larsen Tzigane strings. These are experiences on groups of violins I've owned for 10, 30, and 55 years - so they've been through lots of strings with me.

Andy

February 4, 2009 at 03:31 AM ·

Thanks!  I've had good luck with Larsen strings for my viola...maybe that's another good bet for my violin as well.

I was going to try the Vision, but a couple of fellow players said not to...

I realize it's hit and miss...

February 4, 2009 at 04:26 AM ·

Greetings,

Vision is a perfectly good string in its own way.  What happens if it turns out to be the stirng of yer dreams and you only fnd out ten years down the road?

Cheers,

Buri

February 5, 2009 at 05:15 AM ·

I have used the Infeld Blues often and think they are one of the better synthetic strings on the market. They are bright when new but this disappears pretty soon.  They have a lower tension than Evah Pirazzis and I find them less brash.

I have found them to be very durable and not prone to going false.

Try them!

February 5, 2009 at 02:45 PM ·

Buri: That's the advice conundrum...if you ask for advice, do you take it or not?  LOL...and because I change strings yearly, it's a long period of time between experiments.  Even if I step it up and change every 6 months...it's still a long time!

Frederick: Thanks for the plug for the Infeld Blues!  Mine are mellowing...let's see if they mellow to the point I like them.

February 18, 2013 at 09:59 PM · I experimented last time I got new strings. I have Infeld reds for A and E, and vision orchestras on my D and G. To give an idea of Calandra's voice, she's an Eastman 501. I love the reds, but I need more volume for my D. From this discussion, it looks like the blue D is the way to go. I hope this ends my experiments!

February 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM · I've gotta say, I really hate the Infeld Blues. All they seemed to do was close up the tone of my instrument, they felt way too tense, the E squeaked to no end, and the sound was harsh and one dimensional. I don't think I had a false batch either because I put them on a student's violin to replace some aged Dominants, just as an experiment, and they worked a treat. Probably just my instrument that responded badly but it's enough to put me off trying them again.

February 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM · I've found no compelling reasons to go back to Infeld Blues.

February 19, 2013 at 03:58 AM · They worked well on my violin - responded similarly to Infeld Reds, but brighter, more powerful, and less complex. I think they might be worthwhile - depends on your violin.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe