How Is The String Department At NYU

March 1, 2004 at 06:15 AM · Hi,

I'm looking at NYU, Manhattan School of Music, and Boston University as my top choice schools. Can anyone tell me how the music programs compare? I have heard a lot about MSM and a little about BU but nothing about NYU. I know that in general, finding a great teacher is what is most important, but how is the reputation and/or integrity of these schools? I don't want to end up at a school and go there to find out its music program has been going downhill for a while. Also, any info on Boston Conservatory would be nice as I am auditioning there as well.

Thanks!

Mark

Replies (5)

March 1, 2004 at 07:50 PM · Well, I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure that NYU's music program is strictly music education. That would definitely get in the way. . . go to the website, though. Boston U is decent, from what I've heard.

When are you applying? Have you already applied to these schools? If not, why are you so sure already of where you're applying? You should definitely look into the programs- and not just location and reputation- before applying.

Sorry if this sounds reactionary, but I can't quite tell.

March 1, 2004 at 09:22 PM · BU has some very good teachers. Two of such are Yuri and Dana Mazurkevich that are both students of Oistrakh and both, besides being exceptional teachers, are also both wonderful violinists.

March 1, 2004 at 11:23 PM · Mark F.

At Boston U there is an experienced, practical and very symphathetic teacher called Bayla Keyes. She will take you thru the most practical to the most musical regions of violin playing. Her background is full of violin and chamber music students who will tell you of her many fine qualities. Don’t hesitate to call about a place in her schedule for she heads the department and you mat be put on a waiting list.

Good luck Ted K.

March 2, 2004 at 12:47 AM · Just to clarify, I have already applied and auditioned (or am about to audition) at Boston University, NYU, Manhattan School of Music, Oberlin, Boston Conservatory, and Temple Univeristy. My 3 favorites are BU, NYU, and MSM. My teacher recommended Yuri and Dana Mazurkevich at Boston, but I would much rather be in NYC. NYU does have a music performance program, I am just trying to find out if the level of players there is up to par with the other schools.

Thanks again,

Mark

March 2, 2004 at 03:35 PM · Right you are about NYU. Sorry. Your initial post worried me a little, but obviously you've got everything under control. . .

Good luck.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe