How Fast to Play Etudes?

February 29, 2004 at 10:30 PM · Assuming that all tonal, technical, etc. problems have been overcome, how fast should you practice an etude before it is considered mastered?

For Example...In Dont Op. 37 exercise number 18, it is marked Allegro. It is an exercise with slurred sixteenth notes...8 notes per bow.

Do I really have to work up to a speed of 120 to 152 beats (for the quarter note)? This seems to be extremely fast. In the past I have always started out an etude at a speed that I was comfortable with...say 80 (or even 60 beats to the quarter note), then I increase by one click on the metronome each day, until finally, after several days, I am up to the correct speed.

But, some of my etudes have recommended metronome settings, (I like when they do that), and a lot of times, the recommended setting to work up to, is lower than the music is marked. For example...a Wolfhart etude (which was again, all sixteenth notes) was marked Allegro, but the metronome goal was 108 beats to the quarter note, which actually falls into the moderato range.

I'd like to hear your advice, and how you all know when you have mastered an etude.

Thanks;

Kevin

Replies (4)

February 29, 2004 at 11:50 PM · it seems to me like it depends on what you're looking for in that particular etude.

March 1, 2004 at 05:22 AM · I see. So, if it's speed I'm looking to develop, then playing it up to that speed should be the goal. Duh, I answered my own question.

Thanks;

Kevin

March 3, 2004 at 05:35 PM · Personnally, I use etudes to look at technical things of course, but after warming up with scales, I'm looking to bring the "artistic" side of things into the picture. So, I look to play etudes like a beautiful piece of music - that way, when encountering technically challenging passeges in repertoire, I don't fall back on a tendancy to play it like a study (ie. monkey see monkey do playing).

March 4, 2004 at 06:49 AM · Yep, I do the same thing to. Once I have tackled the technical problems in an etude, I try to play it as a artistic piece of music, rather than just an exercise.

Kevin

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe