Ginette Neveu Plays Brahms

February 22, 2004 at 08:10 PM · Greetings!

I recently purchased the Dutton recording of Ginette Neveu playing the Brahms Violin Concerto (w/Suk Four Pieces, Op.17; Chopin Nocturne No. 20; Ravel Tzigane; Falla Danse Espagnole; Dinici Hora Staccato--budget priced to boot!) and I must say I am stunned by her Brahms! It is AMAZING!!!!! Her playing transforms the concerto. For years, many recordings (and I have heard many) have turned the Brahms into a soupy pseudo-violin-symphony, but Neveu plays the heck out of the concerto--controlling it like an honest dialogue between soloist and orchestra.

I was floored by her control of the instrument, her audacious attack on double stops and chords, and her impeccable sonority. This was, sadly to say, a late purchase, but I think it is probably the best version of the piece I have ever heard, with unbelievable clarity, passion and drama. To me, it sounds like the way I wish I could play it. Hearing this disc has also allowed me to get a sense of the tragedy of her early death, because, undoubtedly, she would stand higher than many of the men in her generation. The Poulenc sonata, dedicated in memory to Neveu, now holds an even more special meaning to me! (I also see where Mutter and Hahn have gotten their inspiration from for their Brahms recordings.) What a disc!! Any thoughts?

Replies (7)

February 22, 2004 at 07:45 PM · I will certainly try and get hold of a recording now, thanks for the recommendation!

February 22, 2004 at 09:22 PM · is this the dobroven/philharmonic recording?

February 23, 2004 at 12:24 AM · I know of 3 different Brahms recordings she made. The ones with Dorati and Schmidt-Isserstedt are live performances and The Dobrowen one is a studio recording. The studio recording is wonderful but I think the other 2 are even better.

February 23, 2004 at 01:46 AM · Hello! This is the Philharmonia Orchestra and Issay Dobrowen one.

February 23, 2004 at 03:40 AM · her brahms is good but i dont like her tzigane..its not bad...but not good

February 23, 2004 at 03:58 PM · I have the Schmidt-Isserstedt recording, which was certainly a revelation. While we're on the subject, what is your favourite recording of the Brahms violin concerto? I like Milstein/Fistoulari, Oistrakh/Szell and Perlman/Giulini.

Carl.

February 24, 2004 at 04:12 AM · I am a lover of the old generation of violinists, and Neveu's ranks up in my favourites. However, I find that Gil Shaham's interpretation is equally convincing and beautifully done.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe