Violin Traders In Cremona

February 3, 2004 at 07:15 PM · Does anyone know of a reputable trader in violins based in Cremona? All I seem to find on the net are actual instrument makers but there must be people who buy and sell too??

Replies (7)

February 3, 2004 at 09:34 PM · I bought a violin from Cremona one months ago.I think it is the best if you go there and try violins.I think it is poosible to buy a Cremona made violin in Switzerland.I dont know where are you from...

February 4, 2004 at 04:23 PM · Nastja

I am on the french Italian border so Cremona is not so far away. I know there are many fine makers of violin in Cremona but what is hard to find is trader of instruments who may look for what I want and what i am happy to pay

February 5, 2004 at 03:48 PM · Hi Viola Cadenza,

In which ever country, a dealer is still a salesman. Whatever you find, get it checked by a few different people, preferably makers you know and trust.

Lucky hunting, Drew

February 5, 2004 at 05:03 PM · hi!

My teacher - really a professional musician (played in the baden-baden philharmony, etc) had been looking for an instrument about 2-3 years all over europe.

He told me about Cremonian instruments (of course not each one, but you know what I mean - he has a huge number of friends who are either are great musicians), that they sound great at first, but then, some years later loose their sound and become comparable to usual cheap (more or less) intruments.

At least he bought a french violin in a small village in the south...

so, good luck!

greetz

February 6, 2004 at 12:32 AM · Greetings,

of course there are many beautiful instruments coming out of Cremona but I would be cautious about atatching too much significance to its illustrious history when buying a violin. I have been proudly shown a good half dozen instruments here in Japan which the owners stated were by Morassi. The varnish remains disitnctive but the workmanship has ranged from pedestrian to shoddy and the sound is basically a rip off. Just not worth the money. The Morassi label became part of a business empire and there is no guarantee about which off spring made which part.

I also have a rule of thumb that I never buy a modern instrument less than five years old- it is so hard to predictwhere an instrument is going to go and although a top maker will usually more or less live up to his /her promise or even replace the instrument (!) if it really crashes for some inscrutable reason, I am once bitten twice shy on this issue.

Cheers,

Buri

February 6, 2004 at 12:59 AM · I just boughg a 2002 violin by Pascal Hornung. Anybody know anything about this maker?

February 6, 2004 at 11:50 AM · Everyone's input here has been really valuable I think I'll look carefully before buying

thanks

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe