Which E String?

January 28, 2004 at 02:00 AM · I am currently trying out violins. This violin that is my current favorite came with a Corelli E. I just flat out didn't like it. I changed it to a gold obligato E (the rest of the strings are obligato). It's taken me two days to break it in. I almost wish I had the Corelli back on. What type of E strings do you recommend?

Replies (21)

January 28, 2004 at 02:56 AM · Greetings,

I use a German e string made from sreel called, rather confusingly, Gold brot , sicne it is not gold. I tried this cheap string after using a variety of golds and persistemtly havmg trouble with them wearing out, being too taught and so on.

This has been the best solution for me by far.

Incidentally, a recent letter to the Strad coplainedthat their article on stirngs had not mentione dhtis one which was a favorite of heifetz. Mabe it is not glamourous enough?

Cheers,

Buri

January 28, 2004 at 03:24 AM · I use the Evah Pirrazzi E string with my other Dominant ones. The EP string is warm and very responsive.

January 28, 2004 at 08:30 AM · I also use the Evah Pirazzi gold E. It is like a warm, limpid stream caressed by sunlight, clear and comforting and shining. Ah, yes, the Pirazzi E.

Now, back to my lair...

January 29, 2004 at 03:45 AM · I can vouch for the Gold Brokat, it was the choice of Heifetz and Milstein. It produces a rich tone and has a fast response, no E string is better. Now, the gold strings might work better on some violins, but I have found that the gold strings produce too bright and sound and disrupts the balance of the sound. And the Gold Brokat is only $1-$1.50 most places.

January 29, 2004 at 04:19 AM · Greetings,

not only can Anton vouch for this string. He can also spell it. Has he no limits?

Cheers,

Buri

January 29, 2004 at 08:15 PM · LOL. Give Sarah a job at Pirastro marketing, seeing as there aren't many classified ads these days for "poet wanted"!!!

Seriously Sarah, I have to agree with your summation of these gold "E"s, although I would have struggled to relay my sentiments in the terms you used.

Now every time I venture onto the "E" string I'll be thinking of Sarah's post!

January 29, 2004 at 08:29 PM · prunes for anton

I use Gold Brokat also

January 30, 2004 at 02:07 AM · Is it possible to order these gold brokat E strings online? Are they steel?

January 30, 2004 at 02:25 AM · Get them at Quinn violins, Ifshin violins or Southwest strings, they should go for about $1.25. And yes, they are steel.

January 30, 2004 at 03:19 AM · I just orded a Gold Brokat, and one thing you have to remember about buying online - shipping is involved. So if you're not planning on buying a couple sets of strings, then you'll have to pay shipping. Just a thought... heh, since i forgot about it. Should check my local music store...

how much do you think they would run if you bought them at a music store?

January 30, 2004 at 03:46 AM · At my local violin dealer, it goes for $2.25.

January 30, 2004 at 07:30 AM · Actually, I love Corelli's E string! It's been the most consistent along the years and I've played with almost all E strings available on the market. I like the E from the Crystal set more than I like the Alliance E.

January 30, 2004 at 09:43 AM ·

January 30, 2004 at 09:39 AM · What about the Pirastro Gold Label? How does it compare to the Goldbrokat?

January 31, 2004 at 02:33 AM · Greetings,

I find the Goldbrokat more powerful and richer,

Cheers,

Buri

Gotta love these cheapo strings!

January 31, 2004 at 03:20 AM · What Buri said and also a lot warmer as well as being half the price.

February 13, 2004 at 09:45 AM · Problem with the music stores in Western Australia (except maybe Zenith, I haven't checked lately) is that they only stock a limited amount of strings. WE have a choice of Pirastro Tonica (my choice for my violin), the Dominants, and the Obligato's. And it's about AUD$10-20 for a string, or between AUD$70-130 for a full set.

February 14, 2004 at 12:12 AM · I currently have Dominant strings for G, D, and A, and used to have Dominant also for E, but when my E disintegrated recently (the metal spun around it got loose) I got a Pirastro Tonica for a change, and until now, I don't have any complaints about that one. Creates a nice full and clear sound.

February 14, 2004 at 01:32 AM · I use Pirastro gold label (which is not gold haha). You guys are really making me want to try GOld brokat. Too bad I still have four Pirastro E's left.

February 14, 2004 at 04:38 AM · Currently I have an Obligato Gold E on. I really want the rich warm tone because most of my repertoire at the moment is very romantic repertoire. When I ordered strings the other day, they were all out of the Obligato, so tomorrow night I'll be trying out an Evah Pirazzi gold E, for something a little different.

December 3, 2007 at 11:16 PM · Charles Avsharian, CEO of shar, uses Corelli Crystal and says that it has a brilliant sound. Any feedback?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe