Bow Repairable??

January 26, 2004 at 01:08 AM · To the experts out there: my friend has a bow which he thought was straight, but once it reached a certain tension, the top part (near to the top half of the bow) started to deviate from the center. He tried to tighten up the screw within the frog and it doesn't help. Any suggestions, or is the stick warped so badly nothing can be done? Please help out

Replies (6)

January 26, 2004 at 02:00 AM · If the stick is already a little warped then adding tension to it could be making it more pronounced (and more apparent).

It's also possible that a really bad rehair could be pulling the stick to one side.

A good bow repairer can probably straighten it out. I don't know how much that would cost but it's likely to cost less than a new bow.

January 26, 2004 at 03:31 AM · Pete, thanks but this one looks a bit odd. When the bow is unwind, it looks pretty straight, after you apply tension to it, the top part walks away from the center. Could it really be repaired??

January 26, 2004 at 05:58 AM · if the hairs break mostly on one side that will pull it off, and even if the wood itself is warped it can be rebent for a price.

January 26, 2004 at 07:33 AM · It looks as if it is a fairly new bow to me, could it be a climate cos it was made in europe and now it is in Gold Coast Australia.

January 26, 2004 at 05:52 PM · Hi Carl,

Of course we can't help you that much since we can't see it. But have you already held the bow up to your eye (untightened) and looked down it from screw to tip? If it looks perfectly straight then check to see if the hair is evenly distrbuted or if it's more bunched up on one side. If both of those things check out fine then the bow is probably beyond help. Is there anyone in your area you could take it to?

January 29, 2004 at 08:41 AM · So, that means nothing could be done as my friend told me also if you play it in front of the mirror, you could see the deviation from the center and some said it could affect the overall movement of the arm and soundwise too, correct??

Does that means a new bow is inevitable??

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe