Buri is right about Oistrakh's Beethoveen Sonata

January 22, 2004 at 08:24 PM · As always I listen to Buri's recommendation, went to get Oistrakh's Beethoven 10 sonatas. They are no doubt high quality performances.

Any other recordings a violin student should be listening to, Buri?

Replies (12)

January 22, 2004 at 08:34 PM · Im not buri but...

I think szigetti and oistrakh are best for beethoven sonatas

oistrakh for expression however sometimes you will find the tempos are distorted

szigetti is great for faithfullness to the score

just my thoughts

January 22, 2004 at 09:13 PM · rosand's is my favorite but szigetti is really good too

January 23, 2004 at 12:03 AM · Greetings,

Rosand is one of the few remaining throwbacks to an era of something or other. His playing is often just out of this world. One of the best CDs around for me ishis recording of the Joachim/Ernst/Hubay cocnertos.

He has a real feel for these and just lets rip. The Hubay is extraordinary.

Rosand is a truly honest violnisr who does things his way without articie and one of the interesting effects of this is he doesn`t always seem to come across so well in some major works. He has also ben handicapped by not recording the major works with top orchestras. Sometimes i thin what is missing is simply the marvellous result when a great orchestra fuses with a great soloist.

His Bach solo sonatas are superb and could easily be numbered among the top half a dozen bes of all time.

I haverecently fallen in love with Szigeti@s Mozart violin sonatas which you ca now get all together on a couple of cds.

Another goodie I foudnr ecenly was Grumiaux playing Saint Seans 3 and Vieuxtwmps 5,

Cheers,

Buri

January 23, 2004 at 09:59 AM · Dont forget:

Francescatti-Casadesus

Menuhim-Ketner

Igor 0istrakh and wife

Heifetz-Bay

January 23, 2004 at 09:42 PM · I forgot to mention Grumiaux Haskill is very impressive as well for Beethoven Sonatas, the Szeryng recordings are also quite impressive so there are 4 sets for you to buy.

I still think Oistrakh and Szigetti are best overall.

I agree Rosand's recording of Hubay and Joachim is wonderful.

January 24, 2004 at 07:43 PM · Anne_sofie Mutter puts a new slant on Beethoven. I don't have the CDs but I've heard quite a few movts. on the radio. If you can take the rubato, and want a completely fresh approach, then this is probably it. The playing - intontation, sound etc - of course, is incredible. And she always does something different - she's not just doing what everyone else does.........might be worth a try

January 26, 2004 at 06:03 AM · ugghhh, i hated mutter's beethoven.

January 26, 2004 at 10:41 PM · Oh well, you can't please all of the people all of the time. I did say it was "different". Depends what you are after I suppose.......

February 1, 2004 at 02:10 AM · hmm i forgot something else

Grumiaux recorded some of them with Haskill but also the entire set with Claudio Arrau, one of the greatest pianists I ever heard.

February 1, 2004 at 11:44 AM · Huberman was a great interpreter of Beethoven. An unpublished radio broadcast exists of him playing the Adagio from Sonata no. 6.

You can listen to this at http://pl.net/~holsem/huberman/recordings/broadcast.htm

February 2, 2004 at 10:00 PM · Grumiaux recorded the 10 sonatas with Haskil. I didn't know about his collaboration with Arrau. Wasn't it Szigeti?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe