Sergey Khachatryan

January 22, 2004 at 06:44 AM · A great debut on EMI of Sergey Khachatryan, a 20 years old Armenian with a beautiful sound and a terrific technique. He plays Brahm´s third, Ravel's Tzigane, Chausson's Poeme, Waxman's Carmen and the Chaconne. Splendid virtuosity and interpretation. Except the Chaconne. Its not for him. Maybe with time he get the serenity and maturity that works demands. Never the less, strongly recomended. EMI Classic

Replies (25)

January 22, 2004 at 08:54 AM · Yes, he's definitely going to be a huge star. I saw him play the Khachaturian at the Festival Hall a couple of months ago and he was outstanding. He also has a new CD of Sibelius and Khachaturian; the Sibelius is very very good and is growing on me every time I hear it and the Khachaturian is in my view astonishingly good. He is playing at the Wigmore Hall a week tomorrow and I will be there! One for the future I believe.

January 22, 2004 at 06:15 PM · I met him after the concert Brian mentioned above - seems very polite. I thought he was only 18?

An amazing talent for sure though, but he should get himself a Strad!

Carl.

January 23, 2004 at 02:25 AM · I rather liked his Chaconne, Carlos. He really has the makings of a true musician, let's all hope he turns out to be one.

January 23, 2004 at 07:44 PM · Khachatryan's Waxman is quite amazing. His playing of this piece is really the highlight of his debut disc. Kudos!

January 24, 2004 at 04:04 PM · I agree Dwayne - but in some ways you'd expect him to shine at this sort of thing - what impressed me more for someone his age was his Brahms, which I thought was really musically mature.

January 24, 2004 at 10:31 PM · Carl's right...he is only 18. I heard him play quite a lot at the 2002 Indianapolis Violin Competition and must say he is extremely talented.

January 25, 2004 at 03:50 AM · I thought his Brahms and Waxman were great! Anyone know why this CD was offered as a EMI budget label, though?

I got this particular CD even more cheaply than my Naxos CDs.

January 25, 2004 at 03:09 PM · Gabriel - I wouldn't complain about getting such quality so cheap!

Carl.

January 26, 2004 at 02:47 AM · hehe...

Carl, if EMI came out with a few more, I might be forced to "complain" regularly!

February 27, 2004 at 03:24 AM · I attended three of his four performances at the '02 Indianapolis competition and I must say he is nothing short of amazing. Very nice guy, I met him while I was there(we're both Armenian) and his Sibelius concerto performance at the end was very moving. His CD of Sibelius and Khachaturian just came out :) As for his debut CD, his chaconne is my favorite I've listened to it so much my CD is worn out. All the rest is great as well. Keep an eye on him ;)

February 27, 2004 at 04:59 AM · CD worn out, is that even possible? And, I can't wait for his CD to come out next month in the States.

March 22, 2006 at 07:34 AM · I saw him perform Khachaturian recently, and it nearly drove me to tears. Yes, and I met him afterwards, and he is a very polite man!

He is releasing a CD in 2007 with the Shostakovich concertos.

March 22, 2006 at 07:43 AM · I saw his Khachaturian too, it was so lyrical! And he was so nice and polite too at the CD signing.

March 22, 2006 at 10:53 AM · He was regularly dicussed her eon v.com during the Queen Elizabeth competition, which a lot of vcommers were following through its internet broadcast. His Waxman's fantasy was one of the highlights of the competition for me.

March 22, 2006 at 03:47 PM · Rachel, he's actually 21 this month. I'm pretty sure that EMI disk was recorded when he was 16.

March 22, 2006 at 05:27 PM · Andrew, look beneath Rachels name:

"Posted on January 24, 2004 at 3:31 PM (MST)"

:-)

March 22, 2006 at 05:30 PM · lol that's when you know you haven't had your morning cup of coffee

March 22, 2006 at 09:52 PM · He was head & shoulders above the competition at the QE contest. I have a live DVDR of his playing the Beethoven VC with Barshai - amazingly concentrated & mature playing for a 20yr old (at that time).

March 23, 2006 at 02:26 AM · Cheng Hooi,

Where did you obtain the DVD? Is it selling on the market right now?

March 23, 2006 at 05:26 AM · Julie C - a global friend sent it to me by Air Mail post.

Cheng

March 23, 2006 at 05:26 AM · Julie - it was an off-the-air TV broadcast. Cheng

March 23, 2006 at 07:01 AM · I was supposed to see him live and missed the chance. I do have one of his CDs, however. I like the second movement of the Sibelius the best ^__^

March 23, 2006 at 07:49 AM · Is anybody going to his recital in San Francisco on the 29th? I really wanted to go, but tickets sold out and plus I don't have a ride there. I'm SO bummed.

March 23, 2006 at 07:56 AM · Don't they have that cool train running from Sunnyvale to San Fran anymore? There was a little station over next to the mall:)

March 23, 2006 at 09:23 AM · Hahaha, Jim, yea, there's a Caltrain from Sunnyvale to San Francisco... but the recital is sold out anyway. :( Well, I'm going to try calling Florence Gould Theater to see if there are any tickets left.

Another issue is that the recital is on a Wednesday night. Why can't it be on a weekend!? RAH

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe